Official "Vox AC4/Night Train" Lounge

Bill Cosby

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by garrettmhaynes

View Post

What are some other options for a inexpensive 5 watt combo besides the champ?

So there are a ton of people loving these 5 watt tube amps. I used to have '74 Fender Champ. Even with 5 watts, you're going to get pretty loud before getting any drive. Even playing clean, they can be really responsive. Get an attenuator right? Well, it can get pretty fizzy with one of those.

For practice, a Vox Pathfinder 15R (among others will serve well). I'm far happier with it than my Champ. Great tones, takes pedals really well, and I have far more control over the volume.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

got started from the same Western Electric schematic, many early versions of these amps were near identical, later versions were all related. The original AC4 is a little different, but shows some similarities as well. Just about every small single ended amp along these lines has a similar bloodline.

Yup - a lot of early Fender amps were pretty much straight out of tube application guides that the tube manufacturers published.

RCA manuals included.

In Leo's defense he did a lot of added design and most importantly the leg work needed to perfect what we call the standard of guitar amps today.

He used to lend out his prototypes to some of the top players on the West coast of the day. When he got them back he'd run through tons of questions with them and eventually tweak them out to perfection or what we now consider the preferred tone of a guitar amp. Leo did not play himself and needed guidance from these players. Might be the reason he NAILED it, where other manufactures where also players tweaking their amps to what their own biased opinion of what an amp should sound like, Ampeg comes to mind.

There were a few others that had innovative designs of their own for the period (40's and early 50's), like Ampeg and Standel (it is said Leo "borrowed" a few ideas from Standel). But Leo was one of the first to come up with a guitar amp and later with all around performers all within the budget of the working musicians of the day (the Fender tweed Deluxe arguably the most popular amp amongst players during the 50's cost about $2000 in todays money).

From his designs and leg work many have profited and still do today. A great book for any lover of guitar amps to have is "The Soul Of Tone: Celebrating 50 Years Of Fender Amps", great read if you love guitar amps. wink.gif

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I just picked up a Night Train over the weekend and I love it so far. It sounds great with my Vox 212. I've heard complaints about NT not having any low end but the 212s deliver as much low end as I want. I've played a Pro Junior for years now and never owned a Vox. What overdrives are you guys using with your Night Trains? My small dirt section currently includes a Pork Loin and an Octophant.

Obligatory picture....

fotor_1353781984111_Julia_Bronze_Clip.jp

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by turnstylepoet

View Post

I just picked up a Night Train over the weekend and I love it so far.

Epic thread bump! biggrin.gif

Nice, looks cool man. I sold my night train a couple of years ago but I remember it sounding much better any time I ran it through a bigger cab. I think a lot of the issues people talk about are caused by the tiny particle board open back cab with a greenback in it. I found a tube change makes a positive difference too.

I seem to remember enjoying the Boss OD-3 with the night train, so I guess it and the OCD would both work well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

Epic thread bump! biggrin.gif

Nice, looks cool man. I sold my night train a couple of years ago but I remember it sounding much better any time I ran it through a bigger cab. I think a lot of the issues people talk about are caused by the tiny particle board open back cab with a greenback in it. I found a tube change makes a positive difference too.

I seem to remember enjoying the Boss OD-3 with the night train, so I guess it and the OCD would both work well.

biggrin.gif yeah, I guess that was quite a bump.

Thanks man, I am enjoying it quite a bit and i do think the larger cab has a lot to do with it. It is quite a bit louder than I anticipated. It seems louder than my Pro Junior and with far more clean headroom.

I ran an OCD with my Pro Junior for a while and ended up ditching, but the NT is a different animal. I've always wanted to give the OD-3 a try. I will likely just stick with my Pork Loin and Octophant for a time as I get to know the amp. I played for a while last night using my Pork Loin as a slightly dirty boost and the Octophant in non boost mode. I dialed them in to sound great alone or stacked and those two pedals provided me with a huge tonal palette.

My next purchase is going to be a delay as I am without a delay for the first time in a long time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived