BOSS DM-2 internal pots

sanyc

• Members

Just got the delay from a forum memeber (thanks, Gomez315 :thu:).

Sounds nice, but every time I get a new pedal I always open it to see what's inside ))

It happened to have 3 (!) internal trimpots. Anyone knows what do they do? :poke:

• Members

don't mess with them and you will be fine

one decides how much noise is filtered and the others are clock and delay time or something like that (feel free to correct me)

but don't fool with them unless it looks/sounds like they have already been messed with

the reason they are there is due to the variation in components meaning each circuit must have some 'give' to allow them to all sound the same

• Members

Thanks, man!

I played a little bit with the DM-2 last night - sounds nice.. but I wonder what knob do I use to control delay time?? none of the 3 knobs seem to have effect on it... Is it the internal trimpot that does it?

• Members

Thanks, man!

I played a little bit with the DM-2 last night - sounds nice.. but I wonder what knob do I use to control delay time?? none of the 3 knobs seem to have effect on it... Is it the internal trimpot that does it?

:confused:

the one labelled 'Repeat Rate' controls the delay time.

like with most analogue delays there isn't a wide range of times available (up to around 300ms maybe less) but you should notice some difference.

the Rate knob is wired 'backwards' though - longer times to the left.

• Members

:confused:

the one labelled 'Repeat Rate' controls the delay time.

like with most analogue delays there isn't a wide range of times available (up to around 300ms maybe less) but you should notice some difference.

the Rate knob is wired 'backwards' though - longer times to the left.

OK, thanks! Will try :thu:

• Members

i tweaked my DM-2.. squeezed an extra 30ms or so out of it.. which is kind of essential given it was 298ms before i tweaked it.

it will change the sound of the repeats if you go too far, but then you can find some sounds you prefer.. i found some really grungey delays in a dod FX-90 that i loved way more than the standard sound. having said that, i find boss pedals less prone to sounding 'better' after tweaking though.

• Members

Repeat rate - it's what messed my mind)) it really works backwards!

Played a bit with the pedal last night. And I must say that it sounds great. Sure not as versatile as my DMM, but for its size and price it's great. Even Maxon/Ibanez AD9 doesn't get close.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

argh---help!! i messed around with the internal trim pots before reading these cautionary posts and now the pedal doesn't work properly. does anyone have any advice on how to reset the pots so the effect works?? thanks a million in advance!

• Members

I've never tweaked analog delay trims before but I have a feeling that the positions are "unique" to each pedal and are independantly calibrated via scope or with a really good ear.

correct me if I'm wrong.

• Members

It's a pain to try to fix it by ear, you really need an oscilloscope and signal generator to do it properly.

Here's the calibration doc though:

dm2pg2.th.jpg

There's no secret magic settings hidden in a delay, don't play with the trims... :)

• Members

That's a shame. I thought they were supposed to be able to self-oscillate any time you cranked the delay (like you said), like my DE7 does. Oh, well.

My DM-2 oscillates at any delay time, as long as the repeats are at 3 o'clock or further. Just takes a bit longer to go into oscillation at longer delay times. On short delay times it's almost instantaneous.

• Members

My DM-2 oscillates at any delay time, as long as the repeats are at 3 o'clock or further. Just takes a bit longer to go into oscillation at longer delay times. On short delay times it's almost instantaneous.

Yeah, mine does not do that haha. Wish it did, but the longest it will ever oscillate is like 3 seconds then it stops. Very weird.

• Members

The DM-2 I sold to sanyc(the OP) has the most beautiful oscillation i've ever heard. The delay I use now only has 200ms of delay and the oscillation sucks really bad and I don't think it even uses trimpots. Its analog BTW(duh 200ms)

• Members

The DM-2 I sold to sanyc(the OP) has the most beautiful oscillation i've ever heard. The delay I use now only has 200ms of delay and the oscillation sucks really bad and I don't think it even uses trimpots. Its analog BTW(duh 200ms)

:cop:

Archived