So why WOULDN'T you buy a PRS?

english_bob

• Members

The real reason that I wouldn't buy one is not listed.

I like the hollowbodies a lot. And I like the CE series quite a bit. McCarty's and customs never really did it for me.

But the real reason is that you are looking at a 2k+ guitar and in that price range there are a lot of smaller builders that can likely build a better instrument for the same cost which might be more to your liking. A PRS hollowbody can cost nearly 5k. A custom made artinger is around the same. Different tastes, of course, but at that price range your should get exactly what you want. There are many very fine guitars for less (Godin comes to mind) that are very competive with factory prs's.

That said, a PRS might be exactly what you want regardless of price, and it should therefore be what you get.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to wonder how much of the "pretty" factor is attached to "expensive". It's ironic- when I see a PRS in a store, my automatic response is "oooooo"... just like when I see a Porsche in a parking lot. There's a level of prestige that goes along with it. PRS set out to make a doctor/lawyer guitar that everyone would want, and they did a good job at creating that prestige.

Without that prestige, though, would the PRS be anything more than a Hamer ripoff?

There's a difference between a Porsche and a PRS. The Porsche actually looks good and I want one.

• Members

And here we cut straight to the core - pretentious. Sure, they're ugly, feel like plastic, are solely played by artless douche bags and dentists, and I've never gotten as far as plugging one in to find out of they're as sterile sounding as they look, but nothing says pretentious like playing *rock and roll* on a quadruple A grade piece of wood that's been clear coated a thousand times, flamed to look like a {censored}ing hologram, and has a meticulous inlay of birds in flight. The second you strap that bull{censored} on you are Liberace, if Liberace played the music of rebellious youth, which would make him even more ridiculous. PRS is the equivalent of a $5000 Thomas Kinkade print.

Damn, I wish I wasn't late for this. I hate those {censored}ing things. Even under the terms of their tacky modern style are they not well done. They always look awkward and unbalanced, and non-neutral colored bodies always look like butt when they match the headstock. They have that distinctive look of guitars designed by luthiers, people who know a lot about building intricate things out of wood, but know nothing about how to actually make them look good or tasteful.

Dude. Paul Reed Smith is a luthier. He designed PRS guitars. They used to be all one off customs.

Also you can't "flame" wood to look like a hologram. Thats the natural grain. That's what the wood looks like. Also, I note that you haven't played one. Try it. They play really nicely. They are very well balanced, do not feel like plastic, and sound great through pretty much any amp.

• Members

It looks like something these guys would play. I just realized, the PRS is the Ibanez Jem of our generation.

HOLD ON there, hoss......the Ibanez JEMS are great guitars:cop:

but due to a VERY slick marketing/endorsement dept at PRS, they have made sure to get a PRS into the hands of EVERY damn band they can find.

i still like the early JEMS a lot better than any PRS:thu:

• Members

I'm amazed that this thread's been so popular. And so relatively civil :D

I only asked because I've got quite a large sum of money (but not enough for a new PRS) to spend on a guitar for my birthday later this year, and I've found a couple of used PRS guitars that fall within my price range. I haven't actually played a USA PRS before, although Phil's comment on PRS necks rang true about the SE Singlecut I tried out a few years back. I haven't ever quite got off the fence on a lot of the issues that have come up in the thread either- the doctor/lawyer/douchebag thing, the flame tops, the bird inlays, the cost of new PRS guitars etc...

Ultimately, I'll go and play a bunch of guitars and come home with the one that blows me away, but I wondered whether throwing the question out there might convince me to bypass the PRS'es and spend my time trying out other stuff...

Given that I'm still on the fence over the whole thing, I kinda think I'm just always going to feel "meh" towards PRS guitars. I don't recoil in horror at the less flame-y, quilt-y, abalone-y,gold hardware-y ones (although I think their Dragon guitars are :facepalm: ), but they don't really set my world on fire either. If I play one and love it, I might have to finally come down on one side or other of the douchebag issue...

Since I've mentioned it, here's some pics of the guitars that prompted the thread:

2365.jpg
CE Mapletop

2508c.jpg
CE24

2572.jpg
CE24

• Members
IMG_2478.jpg
Like. Not love, but enjoy. There's a similar color and design Vineyard guitar on my local CL for $250. I'm considering it...

2365.jpg
Adore. Reminds me of a Hamer I was going to buy once.

2508c.jpg
Meh. Kind of an Ibanez vibe.

2572.jpg
Also meh, although I like it a little better than the transparent black. Still very Ibanez-y.

• Members

HOLD ON there, hoss......the Ibanez JEMS are great guitars:cop:

but due to a VERY slick marketing/endorsement dept at PRS, they have made sure to get a PRS into the hands of EVERY damn band they can find.

i still like the early JEMS a lot better than any PRS:thu:

Exactly, they're well-built guitars that were marketed as fashion accessories that have gone out of fashion. The PRS will go out of fashion as well one day.

• Members
5 way rotary switch!

Yeah, Master Volume and Master Tone. Teles have those too...
:cop:

Wait, seriously? Rotary switch? Really?

Wow, you're right. Coil tap, too? Score a point for the prestige axe. This does put in sharp relief the fact that you have to deal with a master tone and volume, though.

FWIW, Teles with dual humbuckers usually ditch the Masters and throw in a volume and tone for each pup.

• Members

Wait, seriously? Rotary switch? Really?

Wow, you're right. Coil tap, too? Score a point for the prestige axe. This does put in sharp relief the fact that you have to deal with a master tone and volume, though.

FWIW, Teles with dual humbuckers usually ditch the Masters and throw in a volume and tone for each pup.

Yes yes... I'm well aware.

• Members
Exactly, they're well-built guitars that were marketed as fashion accessories that have gone out of fashion. The PRS will go out of fashion as well one day.

monkey grip, anyone? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

PRS are good guitars, at least the 80s/early 90s ones i have played.

i really liked some modern eagle thing.....think it was $7000!!!! faded blue finish, solid rosewood neck, it was nice...but not $7K nice.

PRS is currently the flavor of the year, along with Mesa Boogies supercraptacular millions of knobs of gain amps. Got a PRS and a Boogie? You can probably get in a band :thu:

Buck the trend. Get a freaking Tele and an old Traynor tube amp or something....

• Members
These are some of the worst 'opinions' I have ever read

How can a guitar be pretentious? They are well made with quality materials and they are very consistent in their manufacture. Changing the sound is a matter of swapping pickups - a 20 minute job.

Seriously now folks

main1.jpg

Well, I do agree with you on that. But I also agree with a lot of the other comments about PRS guitars, in that people who play them think they're the best {censored}ing guitar that any person has ever made ever. To play devil's advocate a little bit more, I will stand with the pretentious comment. They call their budget line the "Student Edition." Seriously? Just because I play a $400 budget guitar that sounds and play just as well as one of your higher end guitars I get labeled as a "Student?" That, to me, says that if you're playing an SE, you're just not good enough to play a regular guitar.

Archived