CME Controllers...any good?

• Members

I own a CME UF8 and I am very happy with the feel of the keys and the panel controls. Unfortunately the transport controls on the CME UF keyboards have a compatibility issue with FL Studio. They may have fixed it with their new line of controllers, but I'm not sure.

• Members

I've heard of some QC issues about these controllers, but the non-plastic housing (most other controllers in this price range are like toys) and the "pro-look" has had me sold.

I have had absolutely no problems with mine. I also have the firewire interface installed so I can use it with my laptop for software instruments.

• Members

They're great for the money for build guality, feel etc. but the USB drivers suck hard. I've had no luck getting it to work as a controller, drops out randomly after about 5 minutes, even a patch change is allmost impossible with it. If you have a MIDI port to spare, it makes for a nice keyboard. Looks & feels great, operation not so.

(most other controllers in this price range are like toys) yeah, I had an M-audio Oxygen 8 before this...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I own a (now non-operational) CME GPP-3 pedal set. It has broken twice in the first year. First time I emailed CME support and got the promise of a reply and then silence despite repeated requests. I managed to fix that one myself. More recently it developed a short in the main circuit board. My tech was astonished and appalled by cut traces and badly-soldered jumpers all over the board. He is hoping to get a schematic so that he at least has a chance of repairing it. I wrote their distributor asking for help and have heard nothing.

So if you don't mind abysmal quality control and no support--even under warranty--then go ahead. Otherwise, avoid avoid avoid.

• Members

What platform?

For windows, I think for $99 you can get Proteus X2 which includes, if I remember, a 2x2 usb interface.

the cme6 is a nice keyboard. I got it for under $200. BUT THE USB SUCKS. MIDI ONLY. The transport is very strange. And configuring it is a pia.

It is a tank however. I like it overall, though there are better keybeds out there. I'd go for it, if its cheap enough.

• Members

I found the the uf7 I used to have was good for synth sounds only..

The velocity was so hard to control properly when playing piano..the worst Ive ever played.... even with a highly adjustable program like NI's akoustik .

I eventually had to use a midi compressor to make it manageable ... it still wasnt right though.

So back to a kurzweil for me (I bought a 2500 just to mainly use as a controller)

• Members

They suck! I went through 3 UF 60s that never worked right. My first 2 had relatively minor problems that I was encouraged to solve by updating the firmware. They never worked again. That was firmware update 1.07. CME was releasing like 2 firmware updates per month between Sept and Jan trying to get things right. Anyway. Finally, Sweetwater agreed to try updating the firmware before sending it to me. When I got the board that they updated, it was a total mess. The control buttons were sending note data. The keys would only play on release, the note would sound when you would release the key. Plus, the weights in the keys were all loose, 2 of them had fallen off and were loose in the box when I opened it. They're support is none existant. The idea of controllers with expansion cards that can run softsynths is a good idea, but CME is in way over their heads. I'll NEVER buy from CME again.

Archived