I just ordered a DOD FX75C flanger

Zoidberg

• Members

Partly because it has a "level" knob.

The last flangers I've owned have had slightly annoying volume boosts, that makes it hard for them to use with my band.

Hopefully this pedal will be good enough for using live. I'm pretty excited, it's a "cheapo" DOD but I've read some good reviews :)

Anyone tried one?

• Members

i had one several years ago...

i don't like flangers in general but i remember that one being pretty cool; it's very versatile too and i'm sure i've read somewhere recently that there are trimpots inside which tune how the external controls behave.

don't worry about it being a 'cheapo' pedal; i think DODs are generally very underrated.

• Members

Sorry man, maybe you'll like it though. I also have an old FX75 (3 knobber) that sounds very good and more of a traditional flange.

that was my first pedal ever! i want one just for nostalgia, but I never see one for a good price.

• Members

The level knob is not an output volume control, it's a wet/dry mix, which I find useful in toning down the flange sounds. I don't hear any volume boost though, so hopefully your problem is solved anyway.

I like it- it isn't as jet-plane-y as some flangers (which I think is the root of the "sounds like a chorus" complaints), and it won't go to the extremes of those plastic-tube-y, steel-drummy flange sounds, but for my money it adds a neat psychedelic wobble to your Hendrix leads, and can be tweaked to give you a fair few weird but usable sounds.

IIRC, there aren't any trim pots- there may be on the older 75B or 747 flangers, but not this one. It is all analog though, and for my money, DOD's buffers are more transparent than BOSS's.

• Members

the only flanger ive tried that has no volume boost is the mxr evh flanger. which when i look at the circuit board, says m-117 on it. so you could probably get away with getting one of the new mxr reissue flangers.

edit: i lied, digitech turbo flange has no boost but sucks ass.

Archived