OT: WTF???... Military Toys...

pencil-in

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a little reality check:

I grew up with cap guns, miniature plastic machine guns, bb guns... every damned kind of gun you could have as a kid.

As an adult, I have no interest in guns. Never owned one, don't even remember holding one in my hands.

I feel the same on both counts, but what was your background growing up? Museums and police side arms aside, I never saw a real gun until I was in my early 20s, but my friend grew up in trailer parks in the rust belt where people would leave shotguns on the floor like it was a {censored}ing slipper. Also, I think the issue runs a bit deeper, saying it enforces the idea that war is normal and acceptable whether it be physical or verbal, in small children, and may influence their outlook later in life. I'm not saying I 100% agree, but it's an interesting point.

• Members

"The problem is they contribute to the idea that guns are normal in our society, and also that they are glamorous and desirable instead of being lethal machines that are designed to kill human beings," says Louise Rimmer, from the International Action Network on Small Arms.

"So if you encourage a child to experience guns in this way, you are storing up problems for later when the child is an adolescent, and may well encounter a real firearm. In which case the consequences can be devastating."

Just a little reality check:

I grew up with cap guns, miniature plastic machine guns, bb guns... every damned kind of gun you could have as a kid.

As an adult, I have no interest in guns. Never owned one, don't even remember holding one in my hands.

What's up with that?

I will add to your statement Zach, but modified in a way.

I recieved my first pellet gun when I was 6 perhaps? A .22 when I was 7, and a 20 ga. single shot when I was 8. My dad taught me how to shoot and the multitude of do's and do-nots that accompany responsible stweardship of firearms. I bought a .270 when I was 12, and a Mossberg 20 ga pump when I was 14. Purchased a 12 ga Winchester 870 two years ago as well.

I hunt. Recieved a PSE compound bow when I was 12. Bought a Matthews bow last summer, and cannot wait untill I have the chance to take it into the field.

I hunt. I know how to take a life with minimal suffering. I played all manner of violent games as a child. I competed in martial arts tournaments when I was younger. I own a .40 pistol and it is in my bedroom.

Am I violent person? No. My training from my dad and his friends whom I have hunted with for the past 20 years (I am 29) has of all things, instilled a greater respect for all forms of life. I had a whole army of the little green men and GI-Joe toys.

I have never once pointed a firearm at another human being in aggression with the one exception of the time I caught a person breaking into my house in college. The sound alone of me actuating the slide on my 20 was enough to scare the hell out of the guy and run away.

Now I am sure all the "dumb Texan jokes" will follow.

• Members

I'm going to start by saying that by no means did I insinuate that everyone who grows up with toy guns and action figures grows up to be violent. In my experience, many people who did, however, did grow up to be apathetic about violence. They could care less about wars, and sometimes supported them. I think that the psychology behind being exposed to representations and images of violence or violent means can dull the awareness of their existence. When something is a commonplace element growing up as a child, people often give less thought. I'm not saying that it is always true, every situation is unique, but I am saying that it is bound to have some affect, one way or the other, and often I feel that elements that surround a child during growth tend to make the person less sensitive and more apathetic to those elements as they grow around them.

I grew up at first without fairly violent elements. I never liked action figures or toy guns. However, I did begin to really obsess over the prospect of joining the air force, really started to get into 'military mode', and believed a lot of sappy {censored} I was too naive to not. I also became a cadet in the Air Force auxiliary. Fortunately, I came to my senses when I was becoming an adult, and I took a huge 180 degree turn from who I was then, and I'm much happier now. Like I said before, every situation is unique, and people's attitudes change a lot when they become adults too.

I also have nothing against people owning weapons, so long as they do it for their own self-defence. In fact, I entirely support that decision.

What happened to crazy just being crazy? Why does it have to be from something?

Because everything is cause and effect. Nothing comes out of nothing. There is a source and a reason for everything that happens. Crazy (a completely subjective and relative term) comes from a number of things, but none of it is 'just because'.

• Members

For the record, G.I. Joe has been selling in the US since 1964, and they've had the same exact idea, selling extremely accurate toy soldiers. That's nothing new here in the states, and it's not hard to see how much of an affect it has had here.

Yup. I still have a shoebox full of old 80's GI-JOE weapons. Everything from M-16s to those huge ass assault rifles strapped to your belt like they used in Aliens! :eek:

Of course in the TV show nobody ever died, so that made the excessive weaponry just fine.

• Members

To me, hunting for sport is just as violent as killing a person for fun. I'm not accusing you of that because you didn't say why you hunted, but I'm just putting my opinion on that matter out there.

Fortunately, you included this section, so people of normal intelligence know not to bother with your opinions.

• Members

so you're suggesting that there is never a valid reason for a nation to go to war?

There's always a reason of course, but it's usually imperialism. I really haven't seen many wars declared for what I would deem 'good reasons'.

1%20Mountain%20Division%20Sniper.jpg

Accuracy Fail'd.

The AUS uses the M24 as their standard issue sniper rifle IIRC. I KNOW the USMC uses the M40A1. Both the M40 and M24 are based on the Remmington 700 bolt action. Rate of fire isn't the main criteria for a sniper weapon. Stealth and accuracy are, and bolt action weapons are generally preferred in that role.

• Members

Accuracy Fail'd.

The AUS uses the M24 as their standard issue sniper rifle IIRC. I KNOW the USMC uses the M40A1. Both the M40 and M24 are based on the Remmington 700 bolt action. Rate of fire isn't the main criteria for a sniper weapon. Stealth and accuracy are, and bolt action weapons are generally preferred in that role.

maybe he's the spotter, phil!

• Members

Accuracy Fail'd.

Maybe he's, like, a totally Indie sniper and likes to deviate from the norm???

• Members

Accuracy Fail'd.

Um.... That's actually an M-14 EBR, the new tactical version of the almost outdated M-14. This varient of the weapon is well-equiped for the modern battlefield, which is mainly urban warfare. They are now implementing the rifle more and more into units and they will reserve the use of the M-24 to long range snipers only.

This is an M-24:

AT1-M24.jpg

THIS is an M-14 EBR:

M14EBR2-1.jpg

Archived