Deluxe Memory Man XO vs. "Big Box" DMM

• Members

I just yesterday purchased a Deluxe Memory Man new for $250. I understand the smaller chassis XO version is already out in the UK:

http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/deluxe-memory-man-xo-264-p.asp

My question is this - should I return my regular "big box" DMM and wait for the XO model to be released? What will the differences be other than the size? Does the XO have the same chipset, etc? Does the big box version have some advantages over the XO or should the XO be the clear winner? (I've got 45 days from now to get a refund if I want to).

• Members

I have a hard time trusting a product made by a company named "Malekko."

Take it from many of us, they're great great pedals and the customer support is seriously top-notch! Josh and company are cool fellows. :thu:

• Members

the only difference, iirc, is that on the XO the chorus/vibrato knob is actually just a switch. so the amount cannot be controlled; one can simply switch between chorus and vibrato. someone correct me if i'm mistaken.

The chorus / vibrato switch is a knob on the XO as opposed to a switch on the top edge of the enclosure like the big box version, the amount of chorus or vibrato is still controlled by the depth knob.

The XO version has 6 knobs whereas the big box has 5.

• Members

The chorus / vibrato switch is a knob on the XO as opposed to a switch on the top edge of the enclosure like the big box version, the amount of chorus or vibrato is still controlled by the depth knob.

ah yes my mistake. carry on.

• Members

But its really just 5 knobs and a switch disguised as a knob.

My real question regarding the XO version is whether or not they figured out a way to make them more stable and consistent. DMMs tend to vary wildly in quality because of the calibration (or whatever you call it.)

• Members

But its really just 5 knobs and a switch disguised as a knob.

My real question regarding the XO version is whether or not they figured out a way to make them more stable and consistent. DMMs tend to vary wildly in quality because of the calibration (or whatever you call it.)

Yeah thats what i meant, its the same control configuration as the big box, but they just relocated the switch to a knob.

With regards to the consistency question i cant really help you sorry, I havent compared it with any other versions, all i know is mine sounds great.

• Members

It's been available in Europe for about a year now, and as far as I know EHX has not said anything about availability in the US (or even whether or not it will come out in the US at all).

I heard they are waiting until they've sold all the original DMM's in circulation before releasing it in America. All this means is that old DMM's will probably cost more 2nd hand in the UK now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Get a 919.

Why? The 919 will be nothing like the DMM as Malekko has already stated. It is no DMM killer, nothing is.

If you want the sound of a DMM you get that because nothing else will suffice. That being said, the 600B I tried was awesome. I imagine that the 919 and 616 will be great.

Archived