Simple Minds - A Brass Band In African Chimes

Radiofred

• Members

I'm a big fan of Simple Minds early stuff - that is, Real to Real Cacophony, Empires and Dance, Sons & Fascination, Sister Feelings Call, New Gold Dream, and Sparkle in the Rain. Those albums are excellent. I used to like Once Upon A Time in high school, but it hasn't aged very well. However, Street Fighting Years has some good moments in it. You can't lose with Trevor Horn.

So yeah, "A Brass Band in African Chimes" is one of my favorite tracks by them, especially the extended 12" version. So lush and exotic sounding. It reminds me of my trip to China in 1986 with my dad. Great memories.

If you haven't noticed already, it's from the same session as the track "Shake Off The Ghosts" from the Sparkle In The Rain album.

• Members

I had a feeling you would appreciate the minds Fender&EHX4ever seeing as you are into a lot of the same stuff i'm into.

They're from my hometown too! Definitely one of the best glasgow bands ever.

:cool:

Many of my favorite bands/artists come from Scotland: Pilot, The Blue Nile:love:, Cocteau Twins :love::love:, Jesus & Mary Chain, Teenage Fanclub, Craig Armstrong...

Hell, I even like Gerry Rafferty, Shirley Manson, Franz Ferdinand, and The Proclaimers.

What's your favorite Simple Minds album, Radiofred?

• Members

SM's first few albums are pretty incredible IMO. New Gold Dreams is still one of my fav albums of all time.

Great album! Peter Walsh's production gave their sound a very hushed dreaminess, which is unique in their discography. It's pretty incredible how very different all of those early albums are. Real to Real Cacophony sounds completely different from the Empires & Dance/Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call trilogy, which sounds completely different from New Gold Dream, which sounds completely different from Sparkle In The Rain. What a journey of styles they went through.

In retrospect, I think Empires & Dance might be my favorite, though not by a landslide. I really like the repetitive trance quality of that album, and the strange retro-scifi atmosphere of it.

• Members

Oh yeah has to be Empires And Dance for me too. Everything about that album i love but as you say it's not like it's their only great album.

The bass player from Aztec Camera taught me for a while during college, i've not really heard much of their material though but i liked that song you posted.

Supposedly the cocteaus were all in the same room together to pick up some sort of award and poeple are sayng they may get back together, i would love this. I saw Robin Guthrie a couple of years ago in a small venue in glasgow playing his solo stuff, was outstanding. I expected him to have a ton of pedals but he only used a pod xt live as well as his laptop.

Had a quick chat with him afterwards too, nice guy.

Archived