Headrush or Memory Man Hazarai?

mvolta84

• Members

I have both. If you want something for delays, go with the SMMH. If you want a dedicated looper, get the Headrush. Best looper on the market imo. If you want a combination of looper and delay, I say get the SMMH.

Or both. It's a great combo.

• Members

i've got both and would find it hard to choose between them...

the Haz has more features but the Headrush is a great pedal - people generally consider it to be a looper but i think it's very underrated as a (very tweakable) delay.

i like the reverse delay on the Haz and the ability to duck the volume when overdubbing in looper mode is great, but then the Headrush has undo (in loop mode), lots of outputs (which i find useful) and you can get some interesting rhythmic delay patterns out of it.

• Members

Or both. It's a great combo.

+1

I use them both too and I've never heard a better straight forward digital delay than the headrush and it's one of the most easy to use loopers imo. I use the smmh for all the crazy and unusual delays I want...

• Members

If you want a dedicated looper, get the Headrush.

The headrush should not be considered a dedicated looper.

I've never used the akai, but based on looper features alone, the SMMH has it beat. The only problem is that you have to hold the tap/record switch to start a loop and let it go to stop.

• Members

The headrush should not be considered a dedicated looper.

I've never used the akai, but based on looper features alone, the SMMH has it beat. The only problem is that you have to hold the tap/record switch to start a loop and let it go to stop.

features aren't everything.

the Headrush was my first looper; i sold it to get an RC-2 thinking it would be 'better'. then i sold the RC-2 to get an SMMH which i've still got, but then picked up another Headrush to go with it.

whenever i've wanted to do live looping, i've used the Headrush.

• Members

I think the headrush is a way better looper. i can make much more accurate loops on it for some reason.....perhaps because of the "soft" footswitches on it. however, i'm not in love with it's delays. they sound a bit fake to me.

the SMMH on the other hand is awesome on every setting, especially the reverse echo, i love that. i really don't like the looper on it, though.

so i guess it depends on which is more important, the looper function or the delays.

• Members

Corrected.

I wouldn't call that a huge problem. I've owned and RC-20XL (sold that... currently RC-50) and I've never had any problems adjusting to holding it to record. The only reason I call it a problem is that some people find it hard to get used to.

• Members

smmh vs. any other delay that has presets? presets are usually footswitachable.

yeah, i realised what you were getting at. :thu:

but... you can use the SMMH without using the presets - i do; i've got a couple of settings stored as presets but 9 times out of 10 i'll dial in my sounds manually.

would you also rule out using a DMM, DM-2 etc live because you'd need to bend over to change your settings? ;)

• Members

I think the headrush is a way better looper.
i can make much more accurate loops on it for some reason..
...perhaps because of the "soft" footswitches on it.

i found that to be the case too. i was getting perfect loops with the Headrush from the very first time i used it. with all of the other loopers i've used, it took a little practice.

i also thought it may be (partly) down to the soft, tactile footswitches, so i replaced the looping/tap switch on my SMMH with the same kind.

• Members

yeah, i realised what you were getting at.
:thu:

but... you
can
use the SMMH without using the presets - i do; i've got a couple of settings stored as presets but 9 times out of 10 i'll dial in my sounds manually.

would you also rule out using a DMM, DM-2 etc live because you'd need to bend over to change your settings?
;)

I use a DM-2 and NEVER change the setting (7 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 3 o'clock).

BTW, I'm getting rid of the DM-2 to get an SMMH...

Archived