Any of you guys modded your EHX The Worm?

• Members

First of all, this thing is huge as {censored}ass. I opened it up to clean out the pots at one point and there's hardly anything in there. I figure it should be an easy rehouse. Anyone done it?

Also, have any of you done any mods to reduce the noise? I love the sound and simplicity of this pedal but damn... it's huge AND noisy.

• Members

I'm interested to see if anyone has modded theirs too.

I bought one at christmas time, but I've hardly used it because it's so damn noisy! Does yours clip if you play hot pickups into it? (especially on the trem setting)

My friend is going to mod mine soon for the noise, and try sort out the clipping. So if I get it modded before you I'll let you know about it.

:)

• Members

I bought one at christmas time, but I've hardly used it because it's so damn noisy! Does yours clip if you play hot pickups into it? (especially on the trem setting)

My friend is going to mod mine soon for the noise, and try sort out the clipping. So if I get it modded before you I'll let you know about it.

the worm was one of my first pedals, I didn't like it too much for this reason exactly. the sounds were cool but I couldn't stand it overloading all the time.

• Members

Maybe I haven't noticed it because my clean channel is always set to a slight drive, and I always get my clean sound by dropping the volume on the guitar. I only use it clean, and with the volume down on the guitar, I don't think I'd be overloading it. But I'll try it out tomorrow.

My hottest pickup is probably the Tone Zone in my LP, that's hot enough I guess?

And if there's a way to kill the buzz (hah) there's probably a way to add some more headroom as well. The circuit seemed simple enough, I'll rip it open this week and have a look see.

• Members

yeesh... how big is that, exactly?

I've rehoused EHX gear before (though not the worm specifically)-- their enclosures are almost always much larger than the boards inside require. It's not too difficult... if the pots and stomp switch are on the board, you might need to take them off and solder in new wires, but that's about it.

The noise, I just don't know how to reduce it.

• Members

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=73245.msg601766#msg601766

The modz are way too much work for me.

I'm like the only member in this whole forum who loves the Worm the way it is. I use my White Finger compressor before the Worm, and it solves the overloading issue. The noise is minimal in my rig, and not worth fussing about with. Both issues are negligible to me because I think the phaser and vibrato are among the best tones I've ever heard on an EHX analog pedal.

• Members

Run one with a power conditioner, not just a surge protector. Mine is dead quiet. Well maybe not dead quiet, but a big difference from before.

I've thought about picking up a Furman. Fortunately, my power source at home is very clean; but at my parents' house it's unbearable. Good recommendation.

But in general, my .02 philosophy on noise? As Iggy Pop once said, when you start throwing out the demons, the angels leave too.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I have an electro-harmonix worm XO. It's super loud when I turn it on there is digital noise whether I'm playing the strings or not as soon as I turn the pedal off its Whisper Soft again. What can I do change this? Are there mods for the XO as well to make it less noisy? I do want the tremolo effect but it's really pissing me off that I can't use this effect without it being so noisy.

Archived