Product Manager for M13 here for questions

richrenken

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sells like the proverbial hot cake. (Not the Crowther, the cake)

Not at all, there are 16 cool distortions in there. Only two are Line 6 originals. Line 6 drive is killer. Just curious, did you look at the model gallery? real question...

As far as the Tone Czar stuff, killer pedals. No argument here.

• Members

Not at all, there are 16 cool distortions in there. Only two are Line 6 originals. Line 6 drive is killer. Just curious, did you look at the model gallery? real question...

As far as the Tone Czar stuff, killer pedals. No argument here.

Yes, I looked.

I'm wondering about big, super hi gain stuff.

My main sounds that I like are slightly overdriven semi clean sounds and big old distorted sounds. Not much in the way of "crunch"

• Members

See below after the =====

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for making a product that anticipates the market. I have been concerned that Line6 has somewhat lost their way in product development, making smaller versions of old products rather than really forging ahead, but this is one of the things that is making me reconsider. I think the M13 is a great concept and really well done.

==== Thank you for your kind words. I love Pocket POD though. Some guys have a Pocket POD on their M13 pedal boards for fly dates in case they show up to the gig and the backline has an unsavory choice of amp with bad tubes.

I do wish that you guys would spend the extra money for heavy duty real switches, I for one would be happy to pay it plus the markup not to have to worry about switches failing at some point down the line. Same goes for every floor-based modeling unit as far as I know.

===== This is a weird one. I hear you. We tested these switches big-time. We had the guy who was one of the founders of the company, Michel, all over this switch, because of what we went through with the DL4 years ago. He personally oversaw this. We put it through what we call the ripinator after the mechanical engineer who built it. Works like those machines you have probably seen that open and shut doors on cars thousands of times. We put the switches through this machine and turned many of them on tens of thousands of cycles with no problems. Since the M13 came out, we had two problems with switches. It was the lock washer not holding from the manufacturer.

Edit: Plus thanks for the competition, it made Boss hook us up with the ME-70 which is way better than the ME-50, actually stiff competition for the M13
:)
. Hopefully that'll spur you guys to further productive action too
:thu:
==== the ME-70 is a cool layout. M13 competes with them a bit but more so we are going after the pedal board guy or the guy that has a DL4 and MM4 on his pedal board. We really see this and future products carrying on the legacy of the popularity of the DL4.

What kind of convergence is there between the PodX3 models and the M13, by the way? Are the xx-4 series their own modeling or do you guys not have limits like that? Reason I ask is I'm about to have PodFarm and I don't really want to duplicate features, but the M13 is tasty and I've been considering it as a comprehensive effects solution that doesn't force me into a rack setup and doesn't break the bank but still sounds good (which it definitely does).

==== I am not sure about POD Farm/M13. M13 has a bit better quality on the effects than the POD X3 because the POD X3 uses the main processing power for the amp modeling and the rest on the effects. M13 uses it all only on effects so the algorithms can be bigger on the M13. That said, I am very excited about the processing power we are going to have on future POD products.
:)

• Members

I thought the Flanger on the M13 as well as a lot of the modulation FX were weak. The tremolo and vibrato were great. But on some of the others there was no way to get a good balance between dry signal and the effected signal without either a volume boost or volume drop.

We are working on that effect and a few others that guys have mentioned. We are going to relook at the mix tables for the mods for our late summerish release. What happened is that we fixed the volume drop problem people pointed out on the MM4 at mix 100% but then on M13 with the mix at 50% you get a volume boost.

• Members

+1.

Also, those little metal "doodads" near the knobs bug me quite a bit when I am using the footswitches up higher. I have larger feet, and it tends to get in the way of my foot when I am hitting the switches near there. I'm not very good at tapdancing, so that might be contributing, but nevertheless.
:cop:

Sorry. We have to protect the knobs though.

• Members

Yes, I looked.

I'm wondering about big, super hi gain stuff.

My main sounds that I like are slightly overdriven semi clean sounds and big old distorted sounds. Not much in the way of "crunch"

Oh I understand. Sorry about that. You are correct on the hi gain stuff.

We do want to do model packs with the ToneCore stuff and Uber Metal would be one of the options then.

• Members

Any chance of a smaller M13 version? Fewer presets?

Very good chance.. This box is already a runaway hit for us so we are already on ideas for bigger smaller and rackable and beyond. We are always looking ahead 3 years at least.

Curious. Why would you want a smaller one?

• Members

I've never used the M13 (although I did own a DL-4 years ago and GAS'd over the original Axis back in the 90s), I just want to say that it's really cool seeing manufacturers reaching out and having a dialog with customers on forums like this. It's really making me consider buying something from Line 6 again.

• Members

first of all, it's nice to see a company seeking feedback direct from users. thanks!

a couple of issues for me with the M13:

- the Vibratone/Leslie models don't have a continuous rate knob like the other modulations. why is this? you have either slow or fast at predetermined rates. and it's also missing the tempo syncing by using the subdivision as with the phaser etc.

- the fx loop is really great for adding extra fx wherever you want in the chain, but if it's possible i would love to see some kind of parallel/series option or a dry/wet mix for the loop.

- it would be nice to have a series/parallel option on each of the 4 'banks'. i thought this may have been a feature before i bought one (i was in a rush and didn't look into the finer details), but using more than one delay line you get the same problem as running delay pedals in series on a board. what would make the M13 amazing, and even more competition to the rack gear) is if you could run the fx in parallel. especially the delays. but also the other fx could make for some very interesting sounds. i'm sure users would love this option. it's another one of the things that would have the M13 exceed a 'standard' pedalboard.

thanks for a great product though. the option to reduce the playback volume and to eq the recorded layers on the looper is spot on. :thu:

• Members

Very good chance.. This box is already a runaway hit for us so we are already on ideas for bigger smaller and rackable and beyond. We are always looking ahead 3 years at least.

Curious. Why would you want a smaller one?

I don't like big units like these because I'd like to fit it on my pedalboard and I like my boards small. Something ideal for me would be cramming the MM-4, DL-4, and FM-4 into something the size of the image I attached. I just don't feel like I'd use all 12 presets so it'd be a waste of board real estate for me.

Something like I explained above would really replace my DD-20. The reason the DD-20 appeals to me is because it is just the right size and has just enough presets for a reverb type of delay, a longer slapback delay, a spacey dual delay setting, chorus, and a simple looper which is all I need.

• Members

I've never used the M13 (although I did own a DL-4 years ago and GAS'd over the original Axis back in the 90s), I just want to say that it's really cool seeing manufacturers reaching out and having a dialog with customers on forums like this. It's really making me consider buying something from Line 6 again.

Thank you. I have guys I have known for years over on TGP and HRI and they got me in there interacting with guys and I have loved it. Sorry it took so long to get over here. Love it so far. I am also thick skinned. I love any an all questions unless they are just guys being funny.

• Members

I would like to a suggest an RM-4 Reverb Modeler.

Got to be able to come up with 16 presets.

I understand the 4 series may be dead in the water after the M13, but a Gun Metal grey Reverb box would be cool.

M13 has sent us in a new and awesome direction for the stompbox guys. I believe they thought about a RM-4 back in the day, but reverb pedals are just not as big a piece of the pie. Have you ever tried Verbzilla? I fought really hard to put those reverbs in M13 instead of the verbs in POD. Octo is way fun for that daniel lanios kind of crystal echo kind of sound.

• Members

I don't like big units like these because I'd like to fit it on my pedalboard and I like my boards small. Something ideal for me would be cramming the MM-4, DL-4, and FM-4 into something the size of the image I attached. I just don't feel like I'd use all 12 presets so it'd be a waste of board real estate for me.

Really picky here and kind of defeating the purpose of the M13 altogether, but that size with just the DL-4, Verbzilla, and looper and I'm sold!

• Members

Something like I explained above would really replace my DD-20. The reason the DD-20 appeals to me is because it is just the right size and has just enough presets for a reverb type of delay, a longer slapback delay, a spacey dual delay setting, chorus, and a simple looper which is all I need.

Wow!

Find a way to put the looper in that and we have a winner, right there.

Either way, keep the scene button, somehow make it Tap Tempo and it's still brilliant.

• Members

M13 has sent us in a new and awesome direction for the stompbox guys. I believe they thought about a RM-4 back in the day, but reverb pedals are just not as big a piece of the pie. Have you ever tried Verbzilla? I fought really hard to put those reverbs in M13 instead of the verbs in POD. Octo is way fun for that daniel lanios kind of crystal echo kind of sound.

I understand that.

How do the verbs in the POD differ?

Archived