Second Alesis Micron craps out -- same problem

Hoopaa

• Members

These things aren't very useful when the line outs just decide to give up and stop working. This is the second unit I've had with this problem. The first was broken out of the box, and this replacement worked for a couple of months and just died.

Does anyone know how Alesis' warranty support is? Looks like I will be needing to send this in for service.

I'm pretty bummed though. Fool me once, you know? This thing is going on eBay when / if I can get it fixed :(

• Members

Hi guys,

I saw on the alesis micron user's group that this is a common problem. There is an output mute FET that gets zapped by ESD and keeps the output muted.

I recall that the headphone output may still work after this problem. Please check your headphone output. One work around is to use the headphone output with an adaptor cable to your mixer/amplifer input.

The repair is easy if you can solder small circuits.

Mark

• Members

Yes, the headphone output works. But it is not a line level output and I don't care to deal with such BS as trying to convert headphone signal to line when after spending the money on a working product.

The headphone output will go out anyway. My first Micron was a refurb and both outputs were busted out of the box.

I'm pretty pissed over this. I've had a Technics and Korg keyboards for years and none of them have anything like this. It's just cheap parts + shoddy engineering. GG Alesis.

• Members

Yes, the headphone output works. But it is not a line level output and I don't care to deal with such BS as trying to convert headphone signal to line when after spending the money on a working product.

The headphone output will go out anyway. My first Micron was a refurb and both outputs were busted out of the box.

I'm pretty pissed over this. I've had a Technics and Korg keyboards for years and none of them have anything like this. It's just cheap parts + shoddy engineering. GG Alesis.

You can continue to be pissed or simply move on to another board. I had problems with a Micron (which I think I shared with you BEFORE you purchased) and I dropped it like a bad habit. Some folks swear by their Microns, but the ones with problems should just find something else.

Good luck with whatever happens. You should just get a Moog Voyager and be done with it. :)

• Members

Moog Voyager isn't ideal for what I'm doing. I may just pony up and buy the R3.

I heard that Best Buy opened up a music gear department at one of the stores near Richmond/Oakland as part of a market test with three SoCal stores (Riverside, Murrietta, San Berdoo). The SoCal locations are willing to sell well below Guitar Center/Sam Ash. Figure around 20% below it for the R3. Plus Korg has a $100 rebate on the R3. I got my R3 for about $420 before the rebate during the Black Friday sales due to an additional store gift card promotion. Right now, you could end up paying as little as $460+tax after rebate.

Another option would be to go for a Radias Rack on ebay, but they're usually going for $700 or more. The R3 has the same synth structure as the Radias, with two timbres and 8 poly, instead of four timbres (one being a drum kit), 24 poly and dual arps instead of single. The R3 has four assignable knobs instead of the parameter knobs of the Radias, which may be better or worse depending on how you use it. I prefer the R3 assignable knobs so that I can pick the parameters for the knobs, but I wouldn't avoid buying the Radias for that. My decision was based on the price/value I got for the R3 and because it sounds great. I also really like having the editor librarian software.

• Members

Yeah but after he goes through the trouble of fixing the FET, something else will break.

Alesis ... nuff said. Low quality MI level crap of the lowest denominator. Get something else and toss this one out. Really. Your gonna drive yourself nutz otherwise.

• Members

I don't know what's is really going about your Microns in America.

Fortunately here in Italy we haven't had those problems anymore...no data encoder problems or line out whine sounds... Mine is a second hand working since 2006.

Maybe Alesis have two assembling lines?

• Members

Alesis will fix this if it is under warranty. My warranty ran out, so I fixed it myself (and then immediately sold the ION :)). If you know how to use a soldering iron, it is a fairly simple job. Otherwise, any electronics repair shop should be able to solder it on for you. The replacement part is less than $2.

The FETs are labeled J111. By using this parts cross-reference, I found a replacement made by NTE Electronics (NTE468).

I went ahead and replaced both on mine, even though only the right output was bad. It worked perfectly afterwards. Here are some pics:

ion1.jpg

ion2.jpg

Archived