31 Band Graphic EQ...What's a good way to start setting it

Dupree21

• Members

how do I Begin to use this unit to the best of it's ability?

what's a good starting point?

what I have is the DBX dual 31 band EQ (231) Unit.

thanks

31? Talk about too many options. Everything right in the middle then boost or cut each one depending on the sound source.

Are you recording/mastering, or is this in your live rig?

• Members

how do I Begin to use this unit to the best of it's ability?

what's a good starting point?

what I have is the DBX dual 31 band EQ (231) Unit.

thanks

31 bands is a lot.:eek:

What I normally do is start with all frequencies flat and cut each individual frequency one at a time to your liking. Start with bass freq's, then treble and then tailor the mids to balance it all out. Remember that too much boosting of frequencies will most likely add noise. That's why I prefer cutting.

• Members

The absolute first thing you have to do is check out the frequency range of your speakers and make sure you leave flat all the sliders for the frequencies that are lower and higher than the respective range.

Also keep in mind this golden EQ rule: CUT if you want to make it sound better and only BOOST if you want to make it sound different!

• Members

31? Talk about too many options. Everything right in the middle then boost or cut each one depending on the sound source.

Are you recording/mastering, or is this in your live rig?

this is for my PA in a live situation.......mainly moniters

Dupree

this is for my PA in a live situation.......mainly moniters

Dupree

Corrective / feedback reduction: Start flat (all sliders in the middle). Insert ear plugs. Crank monitors until they start to feed back. Cut slider at the frequency / frequencies that are feeding back. This can help you obtain more gain / level before the onset of feedback from your monitors.

Tonal Shaping: If the monitors are a bit too forward in the mids, or too bright, you can adjust a graphic EQ to compensate somewhat for that by reducing the offending frequency ranges - a "smile curve" EQ to dip the mids, a shelf to attenuate the highs, etc. I'm not really into boosting gain on the bottom to make them sound "bigger" though - not unless you have serious, heavy duty drivers in there, and if you do, chances are you're not going to need the EQ boost anyway - they should already be pretty big on the bottom.

"Room" EQ: You can use a 31 band to compensate for the room acoustics, and the way the monitors sound in a particular acoustical environment. This is somewhat controversial subject, although the use of EQ to adjust speakers to the room is more common in live sound as opposed to studios. However, the same "gain before feedback" use I described for monitors can also be applied to the FOH / mains mix.

Danut's advice is good IMO - When attempting "corrective" equalization, it's usually better to think in terms of what the sound has too much of, and then subtract some of that, as opposed to thinking about what it needs "more of", and then attempt to boost to add that. There's nothing wrong with boosting, but it can definitely be overdone... but then again, so can subtractive EQ. :D

Archived