OT:Taliban a few miles from getting nukes

jorhay1

Seems like you read "Stalin - The court of the red tsar" by Simon Sebag Montefiore.

Whether you did or not, excellent book. Early on, you get a very good idea about the kind of person Stalin was.

No, I've never read that particular book, but I'll make a note of it and if I ever run across it, I will. Thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

Everyone was afraid of Stalin and at the bottom core of it, Stalin was afraid of everyone...

That's an excellent synopsis.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Pakistani President is on CNN right now.

He says that the Taliban is "sixty, seventy" miles away from Islamabad, and that he doesn't think that the US needs to know where Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is stored, but that he thinks we should be doing more to help them.

He just said that Pakistan has a history of fighting and overthrowing dictators, but he isn't worried that the Taliban or a potentially unstable military might do the same to him.

I'm sure our military leaders are working overtime right now trying to come up with some scenarios and responses to present to the commander in chief.

sounds like a potential powder keg IMHO ( and something obama talked about during the campaign interestingly enough )..

• Members

I don't know if it has occured to anyone that invading a country like Pakistan is something entirely different than invading Irak or Afghanistan?

Pakistan has a population of 176 millions and there are three nuclear powers within a 200 miles range plus a fourth one (Russia) within 1500 miles...

• Members

You're fine. I'm sure you're familiar with Ezekiel 39.

We'll see. I sorta believe in replacement theology with the church an Israel, so that effects the way I think about Ezekiel 39, but maybe your right. It would be nice.

• Members
seriously...we should be paying more attention to former Soviet military stores of nuclear materials and technology...black market activities regarding these things is as great a threat as religious extremists, where do we think they are going for their WMD material ? Not to mention all of the nuclear bases that are being neglected , degenerating computer systems, missiles and early warning systems...the money just isn't there for upkeep, and if it is, it is being redirected to organized crime.

Absolutely...great point made! :thu:

There is a lot of indications that Russia is selling a lot of nuclear materials to China, North Korea, Iran, etc etc. They make a lot of money off of these material via black markets

Archived