korg m3 vs. roland fantom g

thedude5000

• Members

im a new producer in the making and im about to purchase a m3, what can you do to convince me that the fantom g is better. korg has karma2 tech, also the touch sceen with kaoss pad effects and with the radias expantion card it is ah vocoder. its has mastering effects to the point you can plug in a mike and do a complete song. so please convince me

korg roland or yamaha:confused:

Guest Anonymous

im a new producer in the making and im about to purchase a m3, what can you do to convince me that the fantom g is better. korg has karma2 tech, also the touch sceen with kaoss pad effects and with the radias expantion card it is ah vocoder. its has mastering effects to the point you can plug in a mike and do a complete song. so please convince me

Are you writing hip-hop? If so, Fantom and Motif sounds are all over modern hip-hop. Triton sounds stopped being used 3-4 years ago or after the Fantom/Motif series were released. The M3 sounds a lot like a Triton but, with better acoustic sounds. Why? Because it's a Korg synth. The M3 synth sounds are also not as cutting edge as the Fantom and Motif. The Fantom G is a Roland synth and will of course sound like one.

The Triton and Trinity kb synths were used in hip-hop for a long time with Roland and E-mu racks by there side. Like I said this all changed when the Fantom/Motif series were released. My guess would be Roland sounds will be all over hip-hop for the next few years or until another synth sound catches the ear of the hip-hop writing masses. If you still want a M3 then at least get a Fantom or Motif rack to supplement the M3 synth sounds. You could also get the Radias expansion for the M3 to have some modern synth sounds but, you still won't have that Fantom/Motif sound.

• Members

Personally, the M3 interests me more, the Karma and Radias expansion gives it the edge for what id use it for, but i would suspect the Fantom would appeal to the type of player looking for a Motif type alternative.

The simplistic touch screen also adds to its appeal, as i feel an HD 'fine' image on a 8" screen maybe hard on the eye, particullarly multitrack images . Obviously I would have to try one in person, (but running windows on an Asus eee pc is a pain in the butt, compared to a nice 24" for example)

And or course, im the only person on this forum who actually prefers Korg kit to Roland. :freak:

• Members

SOUNDS:

Obviously this is largely a matter of taste. The M3's pads and basses are fantastic, its synths are excellent, and its overall sonic quality is definitely better than the Tritons of yore. Still, for acoustic sounds, the Motif is the one to beat, and from what I heard at NAMM, the Fantom-G is certainly up there (especially considering many of the SRX board patches are included). Personally, I've always considered Korgs more for new age and mellow electronica, Yamahas for jazz, solo, and orchestral work, and Rolands for rock, hip hop, and more biting electronic fare. The key word here, however, is subjectivity, and indeed, for many people, sound is the only thing that matters, so you can stop reading now. Besides, none of us know how the G truly fares until it ships in April.

ARPEGGIATOR:

The Korg's KARMA engine wins here. And the Motif allows for multiple arps playing at once. The G only has one arp, but you can record it into the sequencer and reuse it over and over.

EASE OF USE:

The M3 probably eeks past the Fantom-G on this one, as the touchscreen is very easy to navigate. Once you've learned either unit, however, the Fantoms tend to be quite a bit faster to get around, especially with all the new shortcuts. The Motif XS's interface is a bit better than previous generations, but it's still a dog compared to the M3 and G. And its screen redraws are pretty slow, so fast power users might get frustrated.

SEQUENCER:

No contest

Guest Anonymous

SOUNDS:

Personally, I've always considered Korgs more for new age and mellow electronica, Yamahas for jazz, solo, and orchestral work, and Rolands for rock, hip hop, and more biting electronic fare.

I have a Motif ES Rack and a Fantom XR and can tell you the Motif is also great for hip-hop and electronic music. The Motif has modern saws, crunchy wormy leads and some real cool arp presets. Sometimes I start a track with the XR and spice it up wth the ES and other times I start with the ES and then go to the XR. I do agree Korgs are more laid back in the synth dept. I went and auditioned a M3 for a couple of hours and I just didn't vibe with it. Now for all the people who think I'm a Korg hater I used a Triton for years and still have a Triton Rack left. It has the Trance Attack board in it which is very cool.

:thu:

• Members

You have two choices ...

1) Get the M3 now and pay the current price

2) Wait and try the Fan-G

I'm guessing the M3 will most likely suffer another price drop after the new Fantom becomes available ...

However, in the meantime, you could have already made yourself rich and famous with the M3 ...

• Members

I'm guessing the M3 will most likely suffer another price drop after the new Fantom becomes available ...

Korg is now offering a $300 rebate (or free Radius expansion) with the purchase of an M3 until sometime in March. Check Korg website for details.

• Members

the synth devs should probably spend more time on the designing table for the looks of the synths. It appears that first everything went bad with FUSION cause it looks stupid and now same is happening with M3.

Also I dunno, but who would acualy take D beam over a ribbon?

• Members

1. Wait until the Fantom-G is in stores

2. Go to the nearest music store that has the Korg M3, Fantom-G, and Motif XS

3. Take your own set of headphones to eliminate monitoring system differences

4. See which one seems best for you

If you are talented you will be able to make great music with any of them.

• Members

I would take TWIN D-Beams (a la V-Synth) over a ribbon ...

Hey, Joe, the M3 has better than that. The vector controls are built into the touch screen. It's beyond KAOSS and provides more than Roland's D-beam function. While the OASYS uses the Vector Joystick, the M3 built these vector functions into the touch screen, plus it added the ability to lock in your results or to record and lock in the movement. Do a little digging in the Korg M3 pages and you'll see what I mean. Of course, hearing Korg's vector manipulation would be better. I think one of Stephen Kay's videos demonstrates only one small example.

• Members

I am seriously uncomfortable with the idea of moving my fingers over the display. I tend to growl when people get too close to my TFT screens, and while the touchscreens are of course 1) sturdier and 2) built for it I know what my Palm Tungsten looked liked after 6 months of use.

• Members

i hurd u kin mke gr8 beetz on either

itaint teh tool, itz the user

welcome to the forum :wave:

• Members

Hey, Joe, the M3 has better than that. The vector controls are built into the touch screen. It's beyond KAOSS and provides more than Roland's D-beam function. While the OASYS uses the Vector Joystick, the M3 built these vector functions into the touch screen, plus it added the ability to lock in your results or to record and lock in the movement. Do a little digging in the Korg M3 pages and you'll see what I mean. Of course, hearing Korg's vector manipulation would be better. I think one of Stephen Kay's videos demonstrates only one small example.

the V-Synth has an X-Y pad and TWIN D-Beams ... and it affects the realtime playing of the sample itself and not just mutiple parameters ...

Don't get me wrong ... I think the M3 is very cool (and very suited to my style of music) ... But I'm of the belief you should probably only have one ROMpler ... Hence ...

• Members

the synth devs should probably spend more time on the designing table for the looks of the synths. It appears that first everything went bad with FUSION cause it looks stupid and now same is happening with M3.

Also I dunno, but who would acualy take D beam over a ribbon?

Am I still the few that thinks the M3 looks cool. It's definitely not black and sexy, it's not silver and spacey tough metal, it's fun and it's a white stallion with balls.

I think Korg rompler sounds fit easily into a mix also.

Guest Anonymous

Only one ROMpler?
:confused:
I'm the ROMpler King: Yamaha EX5r, XS6, MM6, Roland XV3080 VSynth GT Fantom X6 MC909, Korg M361 KP3, Moog LP

Sir, I believe I'm the rompler king.

Archived