OT: Are the people who 'really run the world' meeting this weekend?

• Members

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1085589.html

Last update - 18:17 14/05/2009

Are the people who 'really run the world' meeting this weekend?

By Adam Abrams

Tags: conspiracy theories

The Bilderberg group, the topic of many conspiracy theories, is now meeting behind closed doors in Greece.

From today until May 17, approximately 150 of the most influential members of the world's elite will be meeting behind closed doors at a hotel in Greece. They are called the Bilderberg Group or the "Bilderbergers," and you have probably never heard of them.

The group, co-founded by Prince Bernard of the Netherlands, has been meeting in secret every year since 1954. This year, says the British broadsheet The Times, they are meeting at the Nafsika Astir Palace in Vouliagmeni.

The individuals at the meeting come from such power houses as Google and the Wall Street Journal, the U.S. Senate and European royalty. Governments, the banking industry, big oil, media and even the world of academia are amongst the Bilderberg ranks.

Advertisement

Those reportedly in attendance at last year's conference in Virginia include former U.S. senator Tom Daschle; Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner and his predecessor Henry M. Paulson; former U.S. secretaries of state Henry Kissinger and Condoleezza Rice; Microsoft executive Craig Mundie; senior Wall Street Journal editor Paul Gigot; World Bank President Robert Zoellick and Google CEO Eric Schmidt.

There is no official list of who's who in Bilderberg and there are no press conferences about the meetings. This is because the group operates under the "Chatham House Rule," and no details of what goes on inside are released to the press.

This secrecy has led to many claims that the Bilderberg Group are the world's real "kingmakers," and, some even suggest, behind the global financial crisis.

There are also rumors concerning Bilderberg's 2008 conference in Virginia, claiming that the recent U.S. presidential election was decided upon in a secret meeting between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, courtesy of Bilderberg.

Those involved in Bilderberg reject such claims outright, arguing that the forum offers a chance for world leaders to discuss international affairs openly and honestly.

Former British cabinet minister, Lord Denis Healey, who was one of the founders of the group, branded assumptions of world domination as "crap!" and said that the group's aims were much purer.

In an interview to journalist Jon Ronson of the Guardian, Healey said: "Those of us in Bilderberg felt we couldn't go on forever fighting one another for nothing and killing people and rendering millions homeless. So we felt that a single community throughout the world would be a good thing."

Veteran Bilderberg-watcher Daniel Estulin says that the big topic on the agenda for this year is the global depression.

Estulin quotes sources connected to the group as saying that the group is looking at two options, "either a prolonged, agonizing depression that dooms the world to decades of stagnation, decline, and poverty... or an intense-but-shorter depression that paves the way for a new sustainable economic world order, with less sovereignty but more efficiency."

As the BBC's Jonathan Duffy noted in 2004, the air of mystery has fueled the increasingly popular conspiracy theory that the Bilderberg meetings are where decisions affecting the entire world are made.

"No reporters are invited in and while confidential minutes of meetings are taken, names are not noted," Duffy wrote. "In the void created by such aloofness, an extraordinary conspiracy theory has grown up around the group that alleges the fate of the world is largely decided by Bilderberg."

Recently, mainstream press coverage of the Bilderberg meeting has grown, largely due to the internet. This year's conference may have been covered by British broadsheets, but don't expect to see any coverage from U.S. news outlets such as The Wall Street Journal or the Washington Post - they will most likely be at the conference.

Adam Abrams is a British-American blogger, currently working as an intern at Haaretz.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes because people have worked so hard to build a successful company are going behind the scenes to ruin the world so no one can use it...

waste of time becoming prime minister or ceo just to ruin the world ....

makes no sense

• Members

i'm not at liberty to reveal my sources, but i heard first hand from the son of a bilderberg member that the whole financial crisis/depression planning is a red herring. the real topic for discussion is the appropriate DLS hyping strategy for the upcoming decade.

• Members

i'm not at liberty to reveal my sources, but i heard first hand from the son of a bilderberg member that the whole financial crisis/depression planning is a red herring. the real topic for discussion is the appropriate DLS hyping strategy for the upcoming decade.

:facepalm:

• Members

This secrecy has led to many claims that the Bilderberg Group are the world's real "kingmakers," and, some even suggest, behind the global financial crisis.

In an interview to journalist Jon Ronson of the Guardian, Healey said: "Those of us in Bilderberg felt we couldn't go on forever fighting one another for nothing and killing people and rendering millions homeless. So we felt that a single community throughout the world would be a good thing."

Depending on your perspective, these two could basically be the same thing. I don't think it is, but I'm sure many of the worlds power-brokers do.

Estulin quotes sources connected to the group as saying that
the group is looking at two options, "either a prolonged, agonizing depression that dooms the world to decades of stagnation, decline, and poverty... or an intense-but-shorter depression that paves the way for a new sustainable economic world order, with less sovereignty but more efficiency."

Hmm... which too choose... how difficult...

• Members

I play every year for an event call Allen and Co. that is pretty much the same kind of deal, a huge gathering of some of the world's most influential people. It's pretty wild to see some of these people in the same place.

• Members

NO ONE runs the world.

And if you believe some malevolent group runs the world you probably want there to be someone to blame for your own mistakes. Instead of you just being an asshole, you can blame someone else for your being an asshole. Since they are bigger assholes, you assholy quality is more acceptable to your frightened little ego.

Posting this from a hotel in Greece, no doubt.

Would you believe a jury selection waiting room in downtown Riverside?

True story. At least they have wifi.

I just dodged the bullet on a six day trial due to being self-employed. It apparently wasn't enough to get me sent home though.

• Members

Would you believe a jury selection waiting room in downtown Riverside?

True story. At least they have wifi.

I just dodged the bullet on a six day trial due to being self-employed. It apparently wasn't enough to get me sent home though.

You should show them your avatar. That'll get you sent home right quick.

• Members

Sounds like Bohemian Grove type {censored}.

Nah, man.

The Bohemian Grove group also eats babies and has tons of gay sex. The Bilderberg people are way too uptight for that kind of thing - buncha lame ass bankers.

• Members

BE ADVISED: THEY ARE USING INVISIBLE ENERGY BEAMS TO CONTROL OUR MINDS.

FORTUNATELY, TINFOIL BLOCKS MOST OF THE RAYS AND WARDS OFF THE WORST EFFECTS OF THE MIND CONTROL RAYS. EVERYONE NEEDS TO WEAR HATS MADE OF TINFOIL TO PROTECT THEMSELVES. THE TINFOIL SHOULD COME DOWN LOW AROUND YOUR EARS AND BACK OF YOUR HEAD FOR MAXIMUM PROTECTION.

Archived