Why Do Many Folks NOT Like Digitech

bobc

• Members

Why do some people not like Digitech? 'Cos everyone's taste is different and as with every other manufacturer in the world, you might like some of their product but its unlikely you'll like everything they do. As for me, I have three of their products : Bad Monkey - an OK pedal but not sure why it gets hyped as it does. Digiverb - again, OK but I prefer my Boss RV-2. Finally, the DF7 distortion factory. Now this is a GREAT pedal and a sleeper in my view. Don't hear much about it but one of the most flexible distortion pedals ever made in my opinion. I couldn't care less whether it's digital or not - in "Muff" mode it is far better than my EHX Little Big Muff and in RAT mode, it is far better than the current RAT2 with the ability to add some low end. A great pedal that corksniffers wouldn't like on principle. I swear if they heard it blind against some of the pedals it emulates, they'd prefer it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

..not a big Digitech fan overall

but I do like and use their EX7 expression factory

The wahs on this unit are really decent and the leslie is outstanding.
I don't have a use for the other sounds.
and there are a couple of design "flaws" I don't like about it,
but otherwise it's a nice piece.

• Members

Back in like 96' or so I had a Zoom 505, their original 505...and it was just so so, but when I figured out how to change settings and make my own presets it was like night and day.

In 2000 I traded it for the 505II, because it was easier to modify patches and what not, was amazing. Well a few years later on deployment I broke it and was pretty bummed out, my old man sent me a digitech RP300artist multi effects doohicky. This was in early 2004. The thing was heavy and well built. It of course sounded like crap until I started tweaking the living heck out of it. I got some really good usable sounds from it, and used it as a little headphone practice tool for years until the powersupply went bad. Trying to get a power supply for it is like hit and miss.

The one thing I dislike about digitech multi effects are their power supplies, you can't just find a similar power supply and use it, you gotta use theirs, and if your product is a couple years old, good luck.

I absolutely love my digidelay and whammy pedals. When my old man lets me borrow his old PDS Echo + Plus that thing is amazing. I haven't used too many other digitech items, but like someone said earlier, it's all about tweaking not only the pedal but the amp. Not all amps sound good with all pedals, which is a luxury when you own 7 amps and can match pedals with amps :thu:

• Members

I had an ancient RP-1 multifx and the delays, reverbs and modulations on it were outstanding, distortions were pretty crappy and very limited EQ-wise(low kbit I guess) but sounded ok for practice.

Never got it working in the FX loop of my main amp though, which is why I sold it and opted for separate pedals, plus I'm sure as hell it would suck a lot of tone as it's a very very old digital unit.

A friend has a RP-12(like the rp1 but with an expression pedal) and it sounded amazingly decent into a torn up laney 30W SS amp with a full band, tonewise it wasn't amazing but it's a pretty versatile gadget.

• Members

Why? Well, I can tell you why I don't like Digitech ... simply put, I had one of their GNX's a few years back and it sounded like crap to me. Not to say that they don't have other good effects, I just haven't had a desire to really try them out because there's plenty of other stuff I already want. I wouldn't mind picking up a Whammy, but I really wouldn't have much use for one.

Archived