Why Do Many Folks NOT Like Digitech

bobc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They made a lot of {censored} back in the day. There were a few good ones (Whammy). I have a Digitech RDS8000 delay I bought about 12 years ago which is a bit of a sleeper. Those old multi effects units were pretty meh (I had a GSP 21). They seem to be listening a bit more now and have come out with some winners-Bad Monkey and the whole Hardwire line looks good. Like any of the companies there's going to be some winners and some real dogs.

• Members

I always found it funny that people always assumed everything they made was a digital product. I mean, the name originated in the 80s.... I do think they get a bad rap, but if it means their stuff is cheaper for me to buy, I'm happy.

• Members

had an rp80 and sold it when I stepped up from a {censored}ty practice amp to a roland microcube. it sounded good (or at least better than the awful amp) - especially the noise gate - but when i used it on any decent amp it suck the life out of my tone. it brutally beats the tone back down to its own level. it would have made a boutique amp that cost 3500 sound the same as any other amp.

• Members

Like a lot of companies, they are hit and miss. Their Hardwire series is excellent. Most people love the Whammy and the Bad Monkey. Their GSP1101 rack MFX sounds great and so does their Digitech Vocalist Pro Live. They have also put out a lot of pedals and MFXs that weren't very good. Most people just say you suck when your whole line isn't good. Add to that the fact that they do make lower-end products like the Death Metal Pedal for novice buyers and it adds to the "quality fail" in their rep.
I believe just like most other companies, they have good and not-so-good products and you have to sift through and figure out what suits your needs and what doesn't. Avoiding something altogether because of the name on it makes you a snob. Even Behringer has a few good products. And just because something costs a lot - that doesn't make it great. Its all subjective anyway.

• Members

I don't dislike Digitech based on any sort of elitist principle, but I've had mixed experiences with their products as far as build-quality goes. I had a GNX (Genesis 3?) amp modeler years ago and it was OK, then the knobs and circuits got all messed up for no reason, rendering it useless. Almost 400 bucks gone. I could never get the foot controller to work properly either prior to that-- another 200 bucks gone. I've had an original WH-1 for over 8 years and it's amazing, obviously-- but that's old school. It's unlikely that I'll be buying any of their modern products again.

• Members

In one band the other guitarist had a Digitech mult effects. Got I hated that thing, sounded awful.

In my current band the ex rhythm guitarist used a Grunge pedal. That thing was horrible. Of course the guitarist would also turn the mids all the way down, then treble to half and the bass all the way up. Which meant he had to turn WAYY up to be heard. My ears are still ringing.

Yeah the Bad Monkey is supposed to be one of the best low price ODs out there, and the Space Station does give me mild GAS - but I HATE DIGITECH.

• Members

every since I got an RP100 instead of a Whammy at the suggestion of a guitar center employee when I first started playing guitar, I have never trusted digitech. He told me that the whammy on it sounds as good as the regular whammy and you get other great effects. Ugh, that thing sounded horrible.

• Members
every since I got an RP100 instead of a Whammy at the suggestion of a guitar center employee when I first started playing guitar, I have never trusted digitech. He told me that the whammy on it sounds as good as the regular whammy and you get other great effects. Ugh, that thing sounded horrible.

maybe the point of this story is not to trust a Guitar Center employee :idk:

• Members

PDS stuff is one of a kind.

My RV7 is great. I used the bad monkey alot for a while. I love messing with old DOD pedals, they mostly all suck, even the good ones but they suck in a unique way that makes them cool. to me at least.

• Members

Ive got a Digitech RP7 Valve (12ax7) from the mid 90's and its a really decent product. There are many useful tones and many many features to build patches with. There are many useless patches but those are nice slots to build user patches. For what little money these footboards can be gotten for theyre tuff to beat...I paid $350 for it new back in the 90's and then sold it about 8 yrs later only to have to get another one from ebay cause I missed all the goodies it had to tweak with. I also had the GNX 3 in my time...much prefer the older RP7.

• Members

There's also some that believe that multieffect pedals are bad across the board. My Boss ME-30 that i've had for years, truth be told, alot of the effects in it are either as good, or almost as good as the individual pedals that i've had. I had an expensive Tube Works Real Tube pedal at one point, and it couldn't compete with the "vintage" and "crunch" overdrives in the ME-30 so the Tube Works got sold. Digitech's downfall in alot of the cases with the endless tweakability and options is that there's great sounds in there, you just have to spend enough time trying to find them.

• Members

There's also some that believe that multieffect pedals are bad across the board. My Boss ME-30 that i've had for years, truth be told, alot of the effects in it are either as good, or almost as good as the individual pedals that i've had. I had an expensive Tube Works Real Tube pedal at one point, and it couldn't compete with the "vintage" and "crunch" overdrives in the ME-30 so the Tube Works got sold. Digitech's downfall in alot of the cases with the endless tweakability and options is that there's great sounds in there, you just have to spend enough time trying to find them.

That's the case with a lot of MFXs. I squeeze some really nice tones out of my Boss GT-10. You have to put in a little time to get to understand the capabilities of the pedal but once you do, yo can create things that you couldn't with a "normal' pedal board.

• Members

Most people here don't like multi's period.

I'm one of 'em. But I will admit that I got a MFX pedal to start, found the sounds I wanted to play with more, and bought individual pedals from there.

I've got all kinds of stuff on my board... Boss, MXR, home-grown, Gaspedals... I don't have any Digitech 'cuz I didn't think they sounded better than the other options when I was buying.

Archived