Why Do Many Folks NOT Like Digitech

bobc

• Members

I have read alot of stuff about many folks not liking the sound of the Digitech multi effects pedals and was just wondering why.

I have an old Digitech RP150 that I use from time to time and I think the effects sound GREAT (ecspecially the chorus sounds). I play through headphones as well as through my PA system. I can hear every detail and part of the sound through my headphones and in my opinion, the Digitech sounds so much better than the Line 6, Boss, and Live Wire stuff I have owned over the years. The others sound so harsh in comparison to the Digitech.

Maybe I just prefer a wrmer sound without all the base being sucked out...

I recently purchased a Taylor T5, so I went and got the Digitech RP500 last night and it sounds amazing with the T5. I run it right into my PA and it sounds very very sweet.

I think one of the problems that alot of folks have is that they run their multi effects pedals into an AMP instead of a PA. If you use an amp model and then run the output into another amp, your kinda defeating the whole purpose of using an amp modeler... are'nt you?

I don't know all that much about this stuff, but I do know that my Digitech sounds SWEEEEEEEET!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i think its just because more people have either a Line6 pod or Boss GT, alot of people (noobs) tend to have product loyalty so when they have a certain product they just bash everything else even if they haven't tried it

• Members

I had an RP2000 that tanked on me in the middle of a show once. After that I pretty much stopped using effects for a long time. Anyway, I thought it had some decent modulation sounds, but the drives were fake & sterile and about as unnatural as you can get. Oh, and there's the reliability issue.

If you want something to practice w/ at home, or something for some simple digital delays & modulation.... their multiFX aren't bad. Otherwise, pass.

• Members

Digitech has some great products. I have much more higher end stuff than Digitech, but the Chorus Factory and Bad Monkey are absolutely excellent. Like one person mentioned, sometimes they're a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none, but that being said, pedals like the Chorus Factory do a bunch of sounds really really well, and I think that it's a matter of finding them to dial them in with so many options. Digitech has probably found out that generally more options= more confusion to players, they generally want something to plug in and play with a minimum of options, but a basic sound that sounds good.

IIRC, they took over DOD, right? I think that there's a certain ire of anything that's massively popular or widespread, I think that people want to feel a little more individualistic knowing that not every player is using the same thing. Which is fine with me, just as long as one admits that they want something individualistic, rather than just slagging the brands without ever actually trying out the pedals. A great song is a great song and great playing is great playing no matter what you use. Alot of bigger players use Boss and Digitech and EH. A good carpenter never blames his tools, as they say.

• Members
some are okay, but many sound like {censored}, such as:

239102.jpg

not really, that pedal is designed for younger players who have a {censored}ty guitar with {censored}ty pickups and a {censored}ty little 'blaster' 10w amp to play in thier bedroom.... they want to play heavy saturated scooped metal but their gear isn't suited to it, that pedal would be ideal and would get you usable metal sounds (in those circumstances) for not much money.

• Members
not really, that pedal is designed for younger players who have a {censored}ty guitar with {censored}ty pickups and a {censored}ty little 'blaster' 10w amp to play in thier bedroom.... they want to play heavy saturated scooped metal but their gear isn't suited to it, that pedal would be ideal and would get you usable metal sounds (in those circumstances) for not much money.

:lol:

• Members

Lately I've been impressed with digitech. The HarmonyMan is great and I really like those Hardwire pedals. I hear (word of mouth) the RP1000 beats the crap out of any Pod or Boss multi on gain. Keeping an eye on them.

• Members
i think its just because more people have either a Line6 pod or Boss GT, alot of people (noobs) tend to have product loyalty so when they have a certain product they just bash everything else even if they haven't tried it

Product loyalty in the pedal world is such :facepalm:. The only company I've seen with consistent loyalty is Boss. Boggles me mind.

• Members

DIGI[tal]-TECH[nology]

for a lot of people in the audio world, that pretty much seals the deal as far as not using something. i don't see the point, as digital vs. analog has an extreme amount of pros and cons on both sides.

my two cents, at least.

• Members

for a lot of people in the audio world, that pretty much seals the deal as far as not using something. i don't see the point, as digital vs. analog has an extreme amount of pros and cons on both sides.

my two cents, at least.

And the funny thing is that some of their pedals are actually analog.

• Members

I had a GNX4 and it was great. the bassman model kicked serious ass. had to sell it to pay some bills, which sucked pretty hard.

I think the problem is that it's made in the US. people want their digital stuff to come from asia. :D

• Members

I've never been too interested in them.

I think it's all in the marketing. Their displays never caught my eye and usually seemed to cater to metal/hard rock kids of whom I was not one.

When I started out playing most of the guys I played with didn't have any so I never really looked into them.

I don't know if I've ever played with a digitech pedal besides just trying out the whammy and reverb in a store.

I do have an old dod supra that I still use alot though - so I'm definitely not a cork sniffer.

Archived