Which pedals to replace use of amp?

• Members

I currently am recording from a Vox Pathfinder 15r into some effects into my computer. Problem is, if I use the external speaker out, then I have some distortion, and if I use the line out I can't get it loud enough. Not to mention I hate the sound of a solid state amp and I think I might have inured the amp last week practicing with a friend too loud :facepalm:. So, I need a new amp, but rather than deal with micing up an amp and buying a lot of expensive equipment, I was thinking I could just get a preamp/boost and get rid of the amp altogether.

I was looking at the EHX 2ube Preamp, but is this a preamp to bring the signal up to line level, or just a preamp for line level signals? If it's just a line level preamp, what's the purpose, just for extra juice and getting a hotter boosted signal? If not, could the EHX Mic Preamp pedal be used to boost the signal up to line level and sound good with using guitar?

Thanks a lot

• Members

So, I need a new amp, but rather than deal with micing up an amp and buying a lot of expensive equipment, I was thinking I could just get a preamp/boost and get rid of the amp altogether.

When going direct to a PC you need cab simulation. I don't think the 2ube has this. I use Blackstar HT pedals. So far they're the best sounding direct gain units I've found for the money ($150 - $200).

• Members

+1 on the J Station. I've got one and it does a really nice clean sound (good Bassman sim). Distortions are pretty easy to emulate. Plus it handles pedals OK (you do need to roll the gain off a bit compared to an amp). Haven't used it to record for quite a while, but our bass guitarist is using it as a preamp at our church, so I keep it around.

• Members

I really only need a boost/amplification. Currently I'm running guitar > amp > plethora of effects, so in the end my guitar ends up sounding more processed then actual straight guitar tone. Maybe I do need one of the modules/recording gear you guys mention, but I really think all I'm looking for is something to bring up the initial volume of my guitar, without having to deal with a whole speaker/cab and/or micing it up.

• Members

You could get a preamp to boost your amp's line out.

I've been happy with using a PodXt for recording. I've also been impressed with the Tech21 Trademark 60, which makes me want to try some of their pedals.

And if you want a new, non-solid state amp, there are plenty of low wattage tube amps these days.

• Members

You could get a preamp to boost your amp's line out.

I've been happy with using a PodXt for recording. I've also been impressed with the Tech21 Trademark 60, which makes me want to try some of their pedals.

And if you want a new, non-solid state amp, there are plenty of low wattage tube amps these days.

I'm trying to avoid using the line out, cause it leaves the amp's speaker still on, which makes it confusing when I'm using 100% wet effects, which is most of the time.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, but I'm only looking for something to boost my signal. I have a Tube EQ pedal which adds a nice sound to my guitar, but it's simply just not loud enough. I only need something to replace the power that the amp gives to my signal.

• Members

-1 on J-Station. couldn't get it sound good, disliked POD's more.. but still.

Line 6 Toneport for me. run your pedals into it and just stick a cab on it. or amp head + cab if you're conventional

• Members
I'm trying to avoid using the line out, cause it leaves the amp's speaker still on, which makes it confusing when I'm using 100% wet effects, which is most of the time./QUOTE]

I have recorded through my pathfinder 15r as well - you can run the line out to record, and just hook up some headphones (or even just a cable) to the headphone jack to cancel the speaker. Works well that way.

• Members

I have recorded through my pathfinder 15r as well - you can run the line out to record, and just hook up some headphones (or even just a cable) to the headphone jack to cancel the speaker. Works well that way.

Awesome idea, never thought of that. Maybe I'll just try this and put a preamp after the amp.

I still don't get why I can't just go straight into a preamp without using the amp, but I've never used a preamp before, and I don't know much about them.

Archived