My Hughes & Kettner Tubeman MKII came in today!!!

• Members

Just got this unit in the mail today :)

Played around with it for a couple of hours but I'm really hard time trying to get a good tone out of it or maybe I'm just tired and my ears aren't working properly...gonna play with it again tomorrow...

Uploaded some pictures of this beauty to share with everybody :love:

DSC00430.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00429.jpg

• Members

Just got this unit in the mail today
:)
Played around with it for a couple of hours but I'm really hard time trying to get a good tone out of it or maybe I'm just tired and my ears aren't working properly...gonna play with it again tomorrow...

are you running this into an amp or direct?

• Members

I'm running it in the FX Loop, haven't got my recording thing yet. Its in the mail
:(

when you say "in the FX Loop", do you mean you're using it in a send/return fashion, or are you just plugging the Tubeman into the FX loop return (thereby using the Tubeman as your preamp)?

also, make sure you're using the correct output (ie. not the output with the speaker sim).

(i'm only mentioning that as it's often the 'obvious' things which are overlooked.)

• Members

Hughes and Kettner stuff is great - sounds so nice to me.

My friends are sponsored by them and they have a very good A&R department. They look after them so much, sending the singer a new head for each tour, flight cases for guitars and setting up backlines in Scandinavian countries so they don't need to fly their amps out.

Send your demos to them, people!

• Members

also, make sure you're using the correct output (ie. not the output with the speaker sim).

(i'm only mentioning that as it's often the 'obvious' things which are overlooked.)

Yeah I was thinking this. Using the simulated out into an amp it'll sound anemic and grainy, whereas using the amp out in to a PA it will sound gnarly. Probably already knew this but it does get overlooked. Tubeman is suppose to be one of the top preamps out there. Better be for the 5 or 600 they sell it for nowadays.

• Members

when you say "in the FX Loop", do you mean you're using it in a send/return fashion, or are you just plugging the Tubeman into the FX loop return (thereby using the Tubeman as your preamp)?

My M-audio USB interface still haven't arrived yet or else I would upload some tunes for you guys!

Hmm... I think i assumed they were the same. I did had an idea like that though but no sound came out. I plugged my guitar into the input of the the tubeman, then plugged another cable from "to power amp" to just FX Return. And no sound is coming out... any ideas??? It seems like the only way I can get sound is if I plugged something into the input... I've asked VOXMAN on his forum but hes telling me to search around when I already searched and came up with nothing... =.=

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

what amp are you using? Try using another one and see if it still is muted. It may be something to do with the type of the fx loop...

I had a similar problem once... I raised the volume of the fx loop of the amp I was testing at a store (a Metoro amp) but no sound came out of the amp... than, when I realized I had to raise the master volume of the amp too there were the sound. In other amps I just needed to raise the level on the Fx Loop. It may sound dumb... but I really took sometime to remember to raise the master volume of the amp in conjunction with the level of the fx loop.

I got my tubeman this week! :lol: I plugged it into my vox valvetronix ad120vt throuth the fx return and it sounds amazing! Tried it direct, but didn't liked it that much... but I didn't messed with it a lot either... but with the amp OH MY GOD! I looked so long for this tone! :eek:

Archived