Choosing a new reverb...

• Members

Hey,

I'm thinking of getting a new reverb pedal soon, and need some suggestions on what to get. First off, currently I'm using the Verbzilla. I mostly use the Spring and Cave alot, and sometimes the Tile/Room, Hall, and Octo. I think I could do without the Octo, cause I could recreate similar sounds with other pedals I plan on getting. Also, I should mention while I do play guitar, I also plan on using it for other instruments/samples as well. I mainly sample and loop stuff, then re-sample, so no pedals built around guitar.

Also, the more control over parameters, the better. I've been searching on here for tons of comparisons and reviews of reverb pedals. I really don't have a clue what to get. I may even just end up keeping the Verbzilla, but I'd like to see what else I can get.

I do like long reverbs, as I've used them heavily before for ambient music, but I'm sure with re-sampling things now, I could re-process a reverb'd sound continually to make it longer and longer. I'm debating if I need stereo or not. Because I'm sampling, I'm thinking of laying off any stereo effects/ panning, until the end result.

So any recommendations? I've recently become more of a fan of EHX so maybe one of the Holy Grails would work nicely but I've heard things against them before.

Thanks!

• Members

I'm holdin goff on reverbs. I'm buying an agile AD or AL 3X00 this summer and I'll have 100 to 200 leftover hopefully. It's so tempting not to spend it. But my birfday's August 3rd soooo

• Members

can anyone comment on the holier grail vs the verbzilla? i've heard the holier grail sounds much more organic, less digital, but will it cover everything that i use on the verbzilla (cave sounds?, long reverb sounds?). i assume the spring would sound better on the holier grail, but the hall and room sounds i'm not sure.

• Members
Just ordered one, to compare with the Verbzilla.
:thu:

:snax: Mine came in the post the other day! And you won't be dissapointed! I'd be wary though, if you're after specific types of reverb ala Verbzilla etc. The whole point of the RVB is it's a tweakable reverb, "organic" if you like. :idk: It's hard to describe. The Rumble adds body to the sound. All the way clockwise it's kind of spacious, and cranking it back adds/tightens the prescence/body to the sound for more room/plate/spring sounds, and then the Tone takes away the brightness of the sound as you crank it back from full. (The manual describes them in the same backwards way) Anyway, like I said, it's unique, more organic than any other pedal reverb, and all the better for it. And the boost is really useful. In fact it's the first pedal I've had that's made me want to get some sound recording software and a mic to record some clips.

• Members

I've owned a Holy Stain and a Verbzilla. I actually preferred the Holy Stain and thought it was more natural sounding than the Verbzilla. I did not like what the Verbzilla did to my tone but I did like the variety of settings. In the end I did not like it enough to keep it. I too am trying to find my next reverb. I am intrigued by the Tech 21 Boost Reverb. I've heard one demo and it sounds really good. And the option of a boost at the tail end of my effects chain is enticing as well. But I am really interested in finding out more about the new EHX Cathedral. I like EHX hall reverb so if it is an improved hall verb it may move to the top of my list. Anyway, good luck with your search.

• Members

I'm waiting to hear about the t-rex tonebug reverb...

though I guess nobody has one yet because the last t-rex thread got buried

Me too, I'm still tempted to get a more 'sproingy' spring reverb, and it's this, the Spring Chicken.... or the cheaper option of a Digitech Digiverb.

• Members

Today my Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. arrived, and I will say the Verbzilla is heading to Ebay soon. The Tech 21 has such a nicer, more full sound; the Verbzilla sounds weak compared to it. Spring Reverb does not work so well on the Tech 21, but all in all, a great reverb sound. I'll have to get something else or a different amp for spring reverb. I'm gonna miss the Octo setting as well. But the Tech 21 wins it with some analog circuity, volume boost, and it can self-oscillate!

Archived