Brian May's delay trick and ping pong delay units

• Members

I think I probably underestimated the actual delay times- I just picked nice round figures for the sake of illustrating the point. I reckon 800ms and 1600ms is probably nearer the mark. One delay unit will do. Set the delay time to give you the interval you want, then any further repeats will automatically fall in line with the first.

After that, max the effect level so that the repeats are the same volume as the dry signal, tweak the feedback so you get the number of repeats you want, then play "Brighton Rock" til your fingers bleed. Job done.

oh sure, the actual ms count is no big deal. I was just pointing out to the unsatisfied OP that his question had already been answered.

• Members

Yup, 800 and 1600ms are the standard settings.

The problem with normal delay pedals is if you use a standard digi delay, and set the 1st repeat to be the same volume as the clean signal, you'll get more than 2 delays (which I understand is what you want, as that's what Brian does).

People have suggested the ping pong setting (as on a DL4 or DD20) because if memory serves me right, if you put feedback at minimum you still get 2 delays. If you use 2 amps, then 1 goes to the left and 1 to the right. If you only have 1 amp, then just use the mono (L) out and you still get just 2 repeats.

There is not really any need to get a custom pedal made to do this, any pedal which does ping pong delay will do it, just scour the bay.

• Members

Yup, 800 and 1600ms are the standard settings.

The problem with normal delay pedals is if you use a standard digi delay, and set the 1st repeat to be the same volume as the clean signal, you'll get more than 2 delays (which I understand is what you want, as that's what Brian does).

People have suggested the ping pong setting (as on a DL4 or DD20) because if memory serves me right, if you put feedback at minimum you still get 2 delays. If you use 2 amps, then 1 goes to the left and 1 to the right. If you only have 1 amp, then just use the mono (L) out and you still get just 2 repeats.

There is not really any need to get a custom pedal made to do this, any pedal which does ping pong delay will do it, just scour the bay.

That's the problem, I have no way to order anything from Ebay.

And either way ordering two separate pedals for a stacked delay sound will be more expensive than getting a single custom pedal.

• Members

And either way ordering two separate pedals for a stacked delay sound will be more expensive than getting a single custom pedal.

But you don't need 2 pedals!!!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

1. Buy a digital delay pedal. Any digital delay pedal.

2. Connect your guitar to the input, your amp to the output and turn everything on.

3. Set the delay time to 800ms

4. Set the "effect level" (the volume of the delay repeats) to full.

5. Set the "feedback" or "repeats" knob so that you get 2 repeats

6. Play the solo section from "Brighton Rock". When you play that first "jugga jugga jannnnnng" chord, and you hear your delay pedal spit out "jugga jugga jannnnnng" "jugga jugga jannnnnng" right back at you, all will become abundantly clear :cool:

• Members

1. Buy a digital delay pedal. Any digital delay pedal.

2. Connect your guitar to the input, your amp to the output and turn everything on.

3. Set the delay time to 800ms

4. Set the "effect level" (the volume of the delay repeats) to full.

5. Set the "feedback" or "repeats" knob so that you get 2 repeats

6. Play the solo section from "Brighton Rock". When you play that first "jugga jugga jannnnnng" chord, and you hear your delay pedal spit out "jugga jugga jannnnnng" "jugga jugga jannnnnng" right back at you, all will become abundantly clear
:cool:

Is there a video of this on Youtube?

• Members

I am so confused...

Confused about what? I said a DD20 or DL4 will do this. 1 pedal, not 2. You only need 1 pedal that does ping pong delay.

If you want it on Youtube, go to youtube and search for brian may, brighton rock, delays etc etc

• Members

Confused about what? I said a DD20 or DL4 will do this. 1 pedal, not 2. You only need 1 pedal that does ping pong delay.

If you want it on Youtube, go to youtube and search for brian may, brighton rock, delays etc etc

I dont need the ping pong effect, I need the stacked delay effect.

• Members

I dont need the ping pong effect, I need the stacked delay effect.

If I understand you right, the "stacking" delay you're talking about is the harmony guitar effect that comes from hearing the regular guitar sound at the same time as the delay repeats, right?

• Members

Yes, the "3 piece guitar harmony sound".

As I said before, the problem with normal delay pedals is if you use a standard digi delay, and set the 1st repeat to be the same volume as the clean signal, you'll get more than 2 delays.

To get 2 delayed notes and only 2, you either need 2 pedals running in parallel (not cascading into each other cause that's a whole other ball game) going to 2 amps or into a mixer box and summed to mono. Or, you need a pedal that does stereo/ping pong delays. I take back about the DD20 - I've just tried it and it doesn't work. I used to have a DL4 though and it did that easily.

If you run 2 delay pedals in series, you get a nice big wall of delay (edge, hillsong etc) but that's not what you want (I think).

• Members

As I said before, the problem with normal delay pedals is if you use a standard digi delay, and set the 1st repeat to be the same volume as the clean signal, you'll get more than 2 delays.

To get 2 delayed notes and only 2, you either need 2 pedals running in parallel (not cascading into each other cause that's a whole other ball game) going to 2 amps or into a mixer box and summed to mono. Or, you need a pedal that does stereo/ping pong delays. I take back about the DD20 - I've just tried it and it doesn't work. I used to have a DL4 though and it did that easily.

If you run 2 delay pedals in series, you get a nice big wall of delay (edge, hillsong etc) but that's not what you want (I think).

Can I get the same using one amp?

Is it possible to built a single enclosure for two pedals running in parallel?

• Members

Can I get the same using one amp?

Is it possible to built a single enclosure for two pedals running in parallel?

Yes, you could just use one amp- the complicated part is splitting the signal to send to two different delays, then re-combining the two signals to one. As for enclosures- you can put just about anything in a box if the box is the right size :D

I think this is probably the closest you can get to the sound you want with one amp, but I think using one pedal set for a few repeats will get you a reasonable approximation.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

You need 3 Amplifiers. Centre amp has the dry signal, the one on the left as a 800 ms delay and, the one the right has a 1600 ms. I don’t think it matters what side you put the delays on but the center amp has to have a dry signal. I don’t know any other way to do it 

• 2 weeks later...