ot- who here DOESNT have a cat or a dog for an avatar?

mytee2.0

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've often wondered, what's the connection between synths and cats?

In this forum there's all the cat avatars, cat pictures, and discussions about cats. On many synth blogs there often pictures of cat and synths. Heck, there's even catsynth.com.

Maybe it's something genetic; guys who like synths like cats? Kinda like how guys who are gay have a lisp?

Mark

• Members

Huh? It's a honest observation in my life; many gay men I've met have a lisp, or there's a certain "gayness" to the way they talk. Some of them are guys I knew as kids, and they always talked that way, but only as an adult did they come out of the closet. And back when I was a kid, there wasn't the awareness and acceptance of homosexuality that there is today, so I don't think these kids were putting on an affected speech because they wanted to sound "gay". So it led me to think that maybe there is a genetic correlation between the way a person talks and their sexual orientation.

Have you ever watched the show "Ugly Betty"? Betty's nephew would be a perfect example of the type of kid I'm thinking about.

If you're gay, I didn't mean to offend you. Sorry :wave:

And no, I'm not trying say that people who like synths or cats are gay :poke:

Edit: It seems I'm not alone in this theory. Doing a quick google search, I found there are researchers and scientists studying the correlation between homosexuality and speech patterns. Here's an interesting article by a Speech Language Pathologist that touches on the topic: http://members.tripod.com/Caroline_Bowen/codemix.htm

feelingwi8.jpg

Unless, of course, that was a joke ... Then you're just unfunny ...

• Members

I've often wondered, what's the connection between synths and cats?

In this forum there's all the cat avatars, cat pictures, and discussions about cats. On many synth blogs there often pictures of cat and synths. Heck, there's even catsynth.com.

Maybe it's something genetic; guys who like synths like cats? Kinda like how guys who are gay have a lisp?

Mark

cats are awesome

synths are awesome

cats + synths = awesomely awesome!

• Members

Don't worry......Diametro is the defender of all things gay on this forum, for some reason.

Yeah, don't worry about being offensive and or perpetuating stoopid stereotypes (It has nothing to do whether I prefer butter, margarine, Pam or all, both or none ... )

I've met plenty of straight guys and other "straight" guys who have a lisp or speak or look in a somewhat feminine way ... it's by no means the exclusive domain of el faggo for reals ...

Personally, I think lisping ROCKS ... !!!

But then I don't really dig cats. What's up with that? Allergies for one ...

• Members

There's the stereotype about Irish people drinking a lot. I'm Irish and like to drink, sometimes to excess. And guess what, there's a lot of research showing that people with Irish ancestry have a higher than usual incidence of alcoholism.

Many stereotypes are based on a reality. And they are often used in conversation to be descriptive, not to be insulting. I've got nothing against gay guys with or without lisps.

Sheesh, why are gay guys so sensitive?! :poke:

• Members

You mean thenthitive ... :wave:

Yeah, yeah, yeah we all know stereotypes usually have a foot in the door of truth ... I know plenty of homothespians who have trouble with their sibilants ... and I know plenty of straight guys who do the Buddy Hinton ...

... but that's a whole different bag of onions than your original, IMO lameish, parallel with cat/synth thing ... or was it spot-on? Probably not. I'll have to think about it ...

What WAS the point of that anyway? Why hating on the sisters?

• Members

Cheeseheads are jerks?
:confused:

You're right ... That's very inthenthitive to Wissconssonitess ... NEVER AGAIN!!!

(Actually, that image was created in honor of that guy Hoopa ... Remember him and his dorm lounge piano story? His avatar wore a somewhat silly straw hat ... Then he made some statement about "being a jerk" to his vanquished piano foe and then asked if his hat was stoopid ... The exact details are lost in time ...

I never intended to demean anyone from Wisconsin, who knows somebody from Wisconsin or even just likes "That '70s Show." Sorry for "going there ... "

• Members

Cat Bathing As A Martial Art

Some people say cats never have to be bathed. They say cats lick themselves clean. They say cats have a special enzyme of some sort in their saliva that works like new, improved Wisk, dislodging the dirt where it hides and whisking it away.

I've spent most of my life believing this folklore. Like most blind believers, I've been able to discount all the facts to the contrary, the kitty odors that lurk in the corners of the garage and dirt smudges that cling to the throw rug by the fireplace.

The time comes, however, when a man must face reality: when he must look squarely in the face of massive public sentiment to thecontrary and announce: "This cat smells like a port-a-potty on a hot day in Juarez."

When that day arrives at your house, as it has in mine, I have some advice you might consider as you place your feline friend under your arm and head for the bathtub:

-----Know that although the cat has the advantage of quickness and lack of concern for human life, you have the advantage of strength. Capitalize on that advantage by selecting the battlefield. Don't try to bathe him in an open area where he can force you to chase him. Pick a very small bathroom. If your bathroom is more than four feet square, I recommend that you get in the tub with the cat and close the sliding-glass doors as if you were about to take a shower. (A simple shower curtain will not do. A berserk cat can shred a three-ply rubber shower curtain quicker than a politician can shift positions.)

-----Know that a cat has claws and will not hesitate to remove all the skin from your body. Your advantage here is that you are smart and know how to dress to protect yourself. I recommend canvas overalls tucked into high-top construction boots, a pair of steel-mesh gloves, an army helmet, a hockey face mask, and a long-sleeved flak jacket.

-----Prepare everything in advance. There is no time to go out for a towel when you have a cat digging a hole in your flak jacket. Draw the water. Make sure the bottle of kitty shampoo is inside the glass enclosure. Make sure the towel can be reached, even if you are lying on your back in the water.

-----Use the element of surprise. Pick up your cat nonchalantly, as if to simply carry him to his supper dish. (Cats will not usually notice your strange attire. They have little or no interest in fashion as a rule. If he does notice your garb, calmly explain that you are taking part in a product testing experiment for J.C. Penney.)

-----Once you are inside the bathroom, speed is essential to survival. In a single liquid motion, shut the bathroom door, step into the tub enclosure, slide the glass door shut, dip the cat in the water and squirt him with shampoo. You have begun one of the wildest 45 seconds of your life.

-----Cats have no handles. Add the fact that he now has soapy fur, and the problem is radically compounded. Do not expect to hold on to him for more than two or three seconds at a time. When you have him, however, you must remember to give him another squirt of shampoo and rub like crazy. He'll then spring free and fall back into the water, thereby rinsing himself off. (The national record for cats is three latherings, so don't expect too much.)

-----Next, the cat must be dried. Novice cat bathers always assume this part will be the most difficult, for humans generally are worn out at this point and the cat is just getting really determined. In fact, the drying is simple compared to what you have just been through. That's because by now the cat is semipermanently affixed to your right leg. You simply pop the drain plug with you foot, reach for your towel and wait. (Occasionally, however, the cat will end up clinging to the top of your army helmet. If this happens, the best thing you can do is to shake him loose and to encourage him toward your leg.) After all the water is drained from the tub, it is a simple matter to just reach down and dry the cat. In a few days the cat will relax enough to be removed from your leg. He will usually have nothing to say for about three weeks and will spend a lot of time sitting with his back to you. He might even become psychoceramic and develop the fixed stare of a plaster figurine. You will be tempted to assume he is angry. This isn't usually the case. As a rule he is simply plotting ways to get through your defenses and injure you for life the next time you decide to give him a bath.

But at least now he smells a lot better.

Archived