Microkorg vs Korg R3....

44deluxe

• Members

So I'm really interested in the vocoder element as well as having a dedicated hands on synth to play around with for little overdub ideas.

I already have a lot of soft synths as well as an AN1x and various other keyboards like Rhodes, Wurlitzer etc. I do realise the AN1x already covers some similar ground and it's a great keyboard.

...but like I said, I'd like to get hold of a vocoder and new sounds are always good.

So...there's these two little guys. Is the R3 an "upgraded" MicroKorg or are they different in terms of internal sounds etc?

Any help would be much appreciated. :thu: :phil: :thu:

• Members

The R3 is a cutdown version of the Radias just as the MicroKorg is a cutdown version of the MS2000 ... mostly lack of knobs ... (but with the R3, it's also not as timbral as the Radias.)

Both models are related, but though I haven't used one much, I'd think the R3 would be much more desirable and sound better overall. (I have an MS2000).

The MicroKorg/MS2000 has a gritty, big-ish classic digital sound that maybe is more what you're after ... while the R3 seems a little more contemporary, smoother or with a more detailed high end ... (Like I said, haven't played it much in the music store ... for what reason? Not sure.)

Maybe you should get an MS2000 or a Radias. The knobs make it so much more interesting ...

Good luck.

BTW ... Listening to "upstart" ... like it very much ... It's like Continental Rockabilly; reminds me of earlier Adam Ant ...

• Members

The R3 is a cutdown version of the Radias just as the MicroKorg is a cutdown version of the MS2000 ... mostly lack of knobs ... (but with the R3, it's also not as timbral as the Radias.)

Both models are related, but though I haven't used one much, I'd think the R3 would be much more desirable and sound better overall. (I have an MS2000).

The MicroKorg/MS2000 has a gritty, big-ish classic digital sound that maybe is more what you're after ... while the R3 seems a little more contemporary, smoother or with a more detailed high end ... (Like I said, haven't played it much in the music store ... for what reason? Not sure.)

Maybe you should get an MS2000 or a Radias. The knobs make it so much more interesting ...

Good luck.

BTW ... Listening to "upstart" ... like it very much ... It's like Continental Rockabilly; reminds me of earlier Adam Ant ...

Thanks for taking the time to listen :thu:

I was very influenced by Adam & the Ants, they were the first band I went to see live when I was about 10 or so! :thu:

Thanks for the answer too. So far I'm favouring the M3 because of the better vocoder. It's interesting that they aren't from the same "family" so to speak. I can see I'm going to have to go try them out. There are several vids on Youtube too, I'll keep listening. :idea:

• Members

The Radias/R3 are closely related to the MS2000/MicroKorg as far as the basic architecture. The actual engines inside have been redesigned, but if you've used an MS2000 you'll find the Radias immediately familiar as far as the front panel interface (take a look at pics and you'll see this right away). Over at the Korg Forums one of the posters even came up with a computer utility that reads in MS2K/MK patch banks and spits them out in Radias patch bank format.

While the MS2K and MK are both 4 voice/2 timbres, the R3 is 8 voice/2 timbres vs. the Radias's 24 voice/4 timbres. The R3 lacks the step sequencers of the Radias (it does have the modulation sequencers) but otherwise the engines (and sound) are identical.

A huge difference between the MK and R3 is that the R3 has a formant motion feature where you can record up to 16 audio samples and use them to control vocoding rather than having to always provide the audio input in real time.

As far as synth sounds, the R3 is more flexible than the MK because of the larger mod matrix and the morphable dual filter architecture. The onboard effects have also been greatly expanded (2 FX per timbre plus 2 global).

BTW, the USB connection of the Radias/R3 can be used as a MIDI interface for external gear. It supports two 16 channel ports, one for the synth itself and one for any gear attached to the MIDI IN/OUT.

• Members

The onboard effects have also been greatly expanded (2 FX per timbre plus 2 global).

The R3 has 1 EQ + 2 MFX per part and One global MFX (for a total of 2 EQ and 5 MFX)

Another thing the Drive/Wave shape affect the poly of the Radias as stated in the manual. The R3 is not affected by the use of this fonction and stay at 8 voices. This feature of the synth engine is very usefull and I allways end up using it.

Altought the R3 is a knob minimalist, the UI and multiple LCD screens are very good.

As far as for the vocoder goes, the updated one in the Radias/R3 is the way to go.

• Members

The R3 has 1 EQ + 2 MFX per part and One global MFX (for a total of 2 EQ and 5 MFX)

Another thing the Drive/Wave shape affect the poly of the Radias as stated in the manual. The R3 is not affected by the use of this fonction and stay at 8 voices. This feature of the synth engine is very usefull and I allways end up using it.

Altought the R3 is a knob minimalist, the UI and multiple LCD screens are very good.

As far as for the vocoder goes, the updated one in the Radias/R3 is the way to go.

Thanks guys, I think I've pretty much decided on the R3. I saw a Youtube clip with someone using the vocoder and for me it's the exact sound I'm looking for! :cool:

Archived