Sign in to follow this  
mr.sosa

sight-reading material

hello everyone, I'm looking for some free, online music to sight read from. what I use to sight read now are like three different piano method books with the fingerings erased with white-out. do you guys know of any?

if anyone's interested, delcamp.net has great material for guitar sight reading.

but i'm looking for piano stuff (no big RP pieces, just simple stuff)

Find somebody who has learned classical piano (or has a kid who plays)... borrow their early music books. This gives you graded material to work from, and you give the books back when you are through... you can only 'sight read' the music once or twice.

Is 'whiting out the fingering' so you can't play by numbers? Don't worry... in slightly more advanced music the fingering will not give useful clues about what notes to play.

I'm currently using Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Musical Patterns. That book is full of stuff that is a PITA to sight read.

Go to a thrift store and look for hymnals or other songbooks.

yeah I've been thinking about that.. also about buying a fake book to practice my chords too with the left hand while playing melodies