Lovepedal Kanji 9 vs Barber Direct Drive

nathah

• Members

Hey everyone.

I'm asking for some help in buying another overdrive pedal. I'm looking for something low to medium gain (no, I don't want a tubescreamer mid-hump in my chain). I've kind of narrowed it down to these two, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for tone first, then versatility and value.

Basically, I want to know if the Kanji 9 is worth the extra $80 versus the Direct Drive. The whole 18 volts thing on the DD is really appealing to me for some reason. And I've heard that lovepedal is no longer hand made, and I know that Barber is. I just need some guidance! (I have seen the proguitarshop demos).

For reference, I use a highly modded tele, Visual Sound Workhorse Stallion amp (60w 2x12 all tube), and a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube for my medium to high gain needs (so stacking is also a concern).

Any help or info on these two pedals alone or versus each other would mean the world to me! Thanks a bunch.

-Nate

• Members

Lovepedals are amazing for they most part. I have only heard the Kanji 9s, not owned one, but I do own a Eternity E6 and a Les Lius. Both are great separate and together. Barbers are good, not knocking them, but the Lovepedals are a step up imho.

• Members

Just got an email back from Sean saying that the kanji 9's can handle 18volt operation! Booya.

I think I'm going for the kanji 9. Alittle more money than I was hoping to spend. But then again, you have to sacrifice something to gain something great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, so here's the scoop.

I got the kanji 9. Tried it out, and I really didn't like it. The feel is just not right. There's not enough smoothness and too much fizzy high end. The three position toggle switches do give some flexibility, but I found that a good amount of the combinations were less than desirable.

So I sent it back and got a Barber Direct Drive with Mod PCB ($30 cheaper that the kanji9 mind you), and wow. It is killer. It smokes the kanji 9 in both versatility and tone. I love this little thing, and I haven't even tried it out with 18 volts yet. It can go from that bluesy just-break-up stuff to full throttle marshall tone. The mod PCB is totally worth the extra $50. You can match it perfectly to your amp, and get some cool features like more gain, fizz filter, etc.

Now, I'm not some amazing guitarist, but I know good tone. The Barber DD has good tone. It's relatively quiet for an overdrive box, and it stacks much better with other od pedals that the kanji 9 (which sounded pretty bad stacked with other od, by the way).

I never thought I'd be slamming lovepedal. But when it comes to kanji 9 versus Direct Drive, there really is no contest. Direct Drive all the way!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wow-- my friend and I spent an hour A/B ing the Kanji 9 against the Barber direct drive with PC MOds--

I got the Barber exactly because of the glowing review above.

Within a minute of using-- I knew it did not have as good a sound.

Here is what we both concluded, unanimously:

The Lovepedal was a BMW-- first class TONE and tube like warmth and breakup, enough versatility to keep anyone happy. A GREAT pedal. Toggles were easy to use on top to get variations of tone.

You could APPROXIMATE the sound of the Kanji 9 (and variations within) with the Barber-- but it lacked this certain HIGH QUALITY tone when you started to add the overdrive-- IT was like a Honda with all the bells and whistles. Could do a lot- and "more"- but lacked that first class sparkle that makes you go AHHHHHHHHH! AND, to engage all the variations- everything is inside the box. Ugh.

Good. Very good. Not great.

But that's what so many people like--- something cheaper that allegedly does "more". I can see why people would want the Barber.

Me? Let me down.

Now we know why the Kanji was another $40. Yep, worth every penny.

Archived