BBE Sonic Maximizer vs Aphex Aural Exciter

gdh

• Members

Those of you who have used these (preferably both) which one would you buy again. This is not just for studio use but live as well. Lately my rig has consisted of 2 Jd-990's, jp-8080, jd-800, Radias and Voyager run through my submixer to the Speakeasy Vintage Stereo Tube Pre rack then out to the main bd. For the Voyager I am running the rt out into the mix in which does a great job of replacing my mini D.

• Members

They do different things but the net result of both is a brightening of the signal without requiring an EQ boost.

BBE splits the signal into two bands and does phase realignment between the passbands.

Aphex adds controlled harmonic distortion to add the illusion of more treble. The "Big Bottom" feature does something similar for the low end.

The better (cleaner) your signal path is the less these "enhancers" can do for you. Applying too much just makes the sound edgy and annoying.

I find BBE useful for cleaning up the sound of old recordings that sound dull and the Aphex Big Bottom is useful for getting a deeper sound from a PA without requiring additional wattage or stressing speakers.

• Members

I haven't used either one. But it seems that these days, everyone's car and home stereos have some audio enhancer, surround sound, loudness-button type thing. And people use them. I wouldn't master any recordings with BBE or Aphex because chances are, it's going to get run through the same type of thing again. Live sound might be a different situation though.

• Members

Live I would consider an exciter on FOH main* vox. But only at the lowest possible level, to help bring them out a bit. And the freqs need be chosen carefully so you don't increase the likelihood of feedback.

I would NOT put them on monitor vox, nor at all on any other instrument.

I haven't used either one. But it seems that these days, everyone's car and home stereos have some audio enhancer, surround sound, loudness-button type thing. And people use them. I wouldn't master any recordings with BBE or Aphex because chances are, it's going to get run through the same type of thing again. Live sound might be a different situation though.

*MAIN vox = lead or co-lead. Mere backing vox don't need that kind of embellishment.

Archived