Alternatives to the Boss RE-20?

• Members

I love my RE-20. Really; I do. It's my go-to for 90% of my delay needs.

However, I'm considering changing up my rig, and I'd like to have a delay that doesn't have an annoying preamp on at all times.

What delays are out there that have these features:

Tap Tempo

Multitap settings

Expression pedal compatibility

Analog/Tape-ish sound

What's out there?

• Members

the headrush doesn't have exp pedal capabilities, though, does it?

i guess you could get one of those third hand things, but i've not read much about them that's positive.

I'm digging the Headrush idea, but I'm with you on the Third Hand. I could modify one of the head out jacks for an expression pedal, maybe.

• Members

Eventide Timefactor:

Digitech TimeBender

TC stuff doesn't look like it has an expression pedal input, but I've heard good things...

I have a Timefactor, and basic delay tone is terrible, IMO. I like the pedal, and I use it for weird effects, but for "standard" delay usage, I think it's awful.

The Timebender looks interesting. I wrote it off a Pitchfactor clone, but I'll look a little deeper into it's capabilities.

The expression pedal is the feature I could probably do without, so maybe the TC would work, too.

• Members

I have my RE-20 in a bypass loop, but I do a lot with trailing repeats. The bypass looper kills that. I suppose I should have listed that in my criteria.

You could get a looper that sends the direct signal through uneffected always, then when you turn it on it sends the signal to the RE-20, which is switched to wet signal only so the dry signal comes through clean.

I tried that once, worked pretty well.

• Members

You could get a looper that sends the direct signal through uneffected always, then when you turn it on it sends the signal to the RE-20, which is switched to wet signal only so the dry signal comes through clean.

I tried that once, worked pretty well.

You know, I think I did something like that with a Digitech PDS pedal way back when. That's not a bad idea.

• Members

You know, I think I did something like that with a Digitech PDS pedal way back when. That's not a bad idea.

Its also cool, as you can put an effect on the delays only, so have modulated delay, or fuzzed delay, which sounds great with oscillation.

• Members

check out the Marshall
Echohead
. It has a great, one of a kind tape delay sound and can be found pretty cheap.

Fixed

That the pedal I use for tape delay on my board....

I really want to try the TimeBender & the Headrush E2 though...

Archived