DOD fx80 Compressor vs. DOD fx80-b Compressor - which one?

• Members

The fx80-b's are pretty available on GC online in the used section, and there is an fx80 on craigslist so yeah.

Yeah they both are fairly cheap but I'd rather (if someone has tried both) pick up the one that has the general consensus of being better and saving me the time of buying 2 pedals/having to sell one/etc.

Do you mean that attack knobs aren't really worth it? I've never owned a compressor with an attack knob.

• Members

I've had a CS-3, then I modded it to the Opto Mod from Monte Allums, and I still own a CS-2. For a while I thought the attack knob on the CS-2 was dead. It's not, but I mean you really have to listen for it to hear just how drastic it can change it (which isn't much at all). I'm not going to sit here and tell you that it's an obsolete feature, because maybe your bear is better than mine.

I did find one demo of the fx80b on youtube, but it's hardly worth watching from what I heard. Guess you're gonna have to see if anyone else around here knows more about it. Where's melx when you need him? :idk:

• Members

The FX80B was my very first pedal. I bought it back in '92 for about $20. I still have it, and I still use it to this day. The construction isn't the most sturdy ever made, but no worse than many other pedals I've owned from that period. Tonally, it's quite nice, and 50X better than the CS-3 I used to own, and also better than the vintage EHX Soul Preacher I have.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I have the FX-80 and have never tried the 80B, I would assume it's the same pedal just with an added attack knob as mentioned, I could be wrong though. I own quite a few compressors and the CS-3 hate just baffles me, it's easily one the best comps out there. I went to buy a Monte Allums modded CS-3 and didn't like it at all, it sounds more squashed than the CS-1 it's trying to emulate. I use the CS-3 in my bass rig, basses are far more demanding on comps than guitar, the CS-3 has stayed where many others haven't. the attack knob is really useful imo, so I'd get the 80B if it sounds the same as the 80.

• Members

I have an FX80, and it might be my favorite compressor. It's a little bit noisy, but not too bad. I also have a CS-2, CS-3, and Dynacomp. I've never tried an FX80b. I want to get another FX80, just because I like mine so much.

I'm a fan of many of the earlier DOD pedals.

• Members

I have an FX80, and it might be my favorite compressor. It's a little bit noisy, but not too bad. I also have a CS-2, CS-3, and Dynacomp. I've never tried an FX80b. I want to get another FX80, just because I like mine so much.

I'm a fan of many of the earlier DOD pedals.

How does it compare to the other three?

Archived