Leslie 910 and preamp pedal

• Members

Hi guys.

What are your opinions regarding this combo for those of you that use/have used solid state Leslies vs tube Leslies? Is it worth it or It'll be a headache?

I'm eying a 910 with the combo preamp: what would be a fair price for this? (according to the seller it has been recently serviced by a Hammond tech)

Thanks for your input.

• Members

Thought you were trying to keep things small?

With the pre-amp and with both upper and lower cabinets, under $1K is a deal. Won't have that warm crunch of a 147 but will still sound great with the M-100. Did you add that line out box yet?

• Members

Thought you were trying to keep things small?

With the pre-amp and with both upper and lower cabinets, under $1K is a deal. Won't have that warm crunch of a 147 but will still sound great with the M-100. Did you add that line out box yet?

Well yes, I would have preferred to stay smaller:) and I'm going bigger...

When you say I won't have the "crunch" you mean I won't be getting the "frying eggs" type of distortion, etc.? Is it going to sound too clean? The 910 has a rotating horn and a rotating drum with a 15" speaker, right? Is it bassy? Is it troublesome or easy to fix If anything goes wrong?

Didn't add the line out yet.

The guy is asking $950 OBO.

Sorry, too many questions.

Thanks!

• Members

Crunch and frying eggs comes from power amp tubes being driven hard, not preamp tubes.

One solution which works well is to use a solid state power amp for loud volume, and use a tube power amp ahead of it for tone. The tube amp drives a load resistor instead of speakers, and you tap a line output from it. You are really using it like an effects device at this point. It can be unwieldy but effective.

Speakeasy makes a box that does this called the AMA (Absolute Modelling Amp). It is expensive, but awesome. You could conceivably take an old fender bassman head or something similar and make it work yourself.

I have a page of my AMA rig with sound samples up here:

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/sounds/roadbox

• Members

The pre-amp pedal has the tremelo controls on it. Trem speed can be set to chorale, fast or off - controlled via foot switches built into it. (I had an 825 in the 70's)

Pedal has two 1/4" inputs (2 chans.). If you had a line-out kit installed in the M100, you'd just plug the organ into the pedal like a combo organ.

The solid state amps don't clip as smoothly as a tube amp. It's a harsher sound. That's what I was referring to as tube warm crunch.

• Members

Crunch and frying eggs comes from power amp tubes being driven hard, not preamp tubes.

One solution which works well is to use a solid state power amp for loud volume, and use a tube power amp ahead of it for tone. The tube amp drives a load resistor instead of speakers, and you tap a line output from it. You are really using it like an effects device at this point. It can be unwieldy but effective.

Speakeasy makes a box that does this called the AMA (Absolute Modelling Amp). It is expensive, but awesome. You could conceivably take an old fender bassman head or something similar and make it work yourself.

I have a page of my AMA rig with sound samples up here:

What I have is a Speakeasy Clone vintage tube preamp (1/4" in and out): would that work?

• Members

The pre-amp pedal has the tremelo controls on it. Trem speed can be set to chorale, fast or off - controlled via foot switches built into it. (I had an 825 in the 70's)

Pedal has two 1/4" inputs (2 chans.). If you had a line-out kit installed in the M100, you'd just plug the organ into the pedal like a combo organ.

The solid state amps don't clip as smoothly as a tube amp. It's a harsher sound. That's what I was referring to as tube warm crunch.

Thanks Bones.

There's another guy selling a 251 converted to a 122, very good condition (guts and cosmetics) and a 122 all original (road worn) but recently serviced by a pro.

Either is $1250: your thoughts about this as well?

• Members

What I have is a Speakeasy Clone vintage tube preamp (1/4" in and out): would that work?

It will give you subtle tube warmth, not ballsy leslie overdrive.

My AMA has the speakeasy tube preamp built into it also. I've experimented with the different tones you can get from overdriving the preamp vs. overdriving the power amp.

AMA Preamp: models the Hammond AO-28 preamp in a B-3. When overdriven, it is kind of "fizzy".

AMA Power amp: models a leslie amp. IS a leslie amp really, with same transformer coupled sections, but uses 10W power tubes instead of 40W. When overdriven, it is warm, fat, ballsy, frying eggs goodness.

• Members

There's another guy selling a 251 converted to a 122, very good condition (guts and cosmetics) and a 122 all original (road worn) but recently serviced by a pro.

Either is $1250: your thoughts about this as well?

122 is nice but, I'd save the $300 and buy the 910. You'll get more versatility. 2 channels you can use for any instrument - and - easier for gigs if you decide to get back into gigging someday. I think these advantages outweigh any slight differences in tubes vs. solid state. Yup, use some of the savings for the line out kit. (There's a guy at the organ forum using a Behringer DI with his L100 who might be able to help you with lineout choices)

• Members

It will give you subtle tube warmth, not ballsy leslie overdrive.

My AMA has the speakeasy tube preamp built into it also. I've experimented with the different tones you can get from overdriving the preamp vs. overdriving the power amp.

AMA Preamp: models the Hammond AO-28 preamp in a B-3. When overdriven, it is kind of "fizzy".

AMA Power amp: models a leslie amp. IS a leslie amp really, with same transformer coupled sections, but uses 10W power tubes instead of 40W. When overdriven, it is warm, fat, ballsy, frying eggs goodness.

Thank you Moe.

• Members

I've been using a 910 with a TrekII pre-amp for a number of years with my C3, while I'd like to change over to a 122 or 147 the prices are just too high these days. I picked up my 910 for $125 in the late '80s. The 910 is pretty easy to load/unload for gigging, thank goodness I don't take my C3 out, but do thake the 910 to use with my synths.

Clyde

• Members

Solid States are nice. I think Pink Floyd Cramer has a 760? I almost got one myself. They are great to gig with. I would not pay more than $600 for one though.

I sold mine after getting a tube Leslie. But I miss the 760's better bass- wish I would have followed through on plans to convert it to tube. My Speakeasy pre did warm it up some, Trek may be better as I bought the SE from a guy who owned the Trek (although he claimed it was a hard decision).

• Members

sell it to help fund the A-100. you won't need it when you have an A-100, and after you get the A-100 you're pretty much done and you can get on with your life.

Archived