Fuzz Factory tone control project.

Elazul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyway, as I said before I love general the vibe and vesatility of the pedal, so I really hope that replacing the caps actually works for me. I should get it done in the next couple of days and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

For The Record

I've played a Fuzz Factory since 97. I've played a Fuzz Factory with a low end mod. That mod had a switch on it to go back to a regular sound. I thought the mod messed up the special effects the pedal does. It changed the original concept of the pedal. Like how anarchy would become the mundane.

Before you do your modification please, just try it with an EQ. With the EQ you can have a custom tone of the Fuzz Factory you like but be able to switch it back in a moment.

• Members

For The Record

I've played a Fuzz Factory since 97. I've played a Fuzz Factory with a low end mod. That mod had a switch on it to go back to a regular sound. I thought the mod messed up the special effects the pedal does. It changed the original concept of the pedal. Like how anarchy would become the mundane.

Before you do your modification please, just try it with an EQ. With the EQ you can have a custom tone of the Fuzz Factory you like but be able to switch it back in a moment.

Crap...

I guess I should try an eq, but I've got the caps now so I kind of want to try it anyway. If I do end up modding it I'll make sure to put sockets so I can switch the caps back easily if I need to. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely think a little more about it at any rate.

• Members

Crap...

I guess I should try an eq, but I've got the caps now so I kind of want to try it anyway. If I do end up modding it I'll make sure to put sockets so I can switch the caps back easily if I need to. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely think a little more about it at any rate.

Don't bother with the EQ. Stompboxman is rather notorious for relentlessly defending the fuzz factory's perfection and rarely considers the notion that the pedal just doesn't sit well with every rig. Its biting, thin treble is not something unique to your FF, it is inherent in the design. Try the cap mod, its what worked for me and countless others. Fortunately, you can't change physics, so Stompboxman's senseless rant about losing the "special effects" of the factory is not only baseless from an engineering perspective, but entirely misleading. None of the functionality is lost, it simply sounds better with certain rigs. Yours is most likely one of them.

• Members

Don't bother with the EQ. Stompboxman is rather notorious for relentlessly defending the fuzz factory's perfection and rarely considers the notion that the pedal just doesn't sit well with every rig. Its biting, thin treble is not something unique to your FF, it is inherent in the design. Try the cap mod, its what worked for me and countless others. Fortunately, you can't change physics, so Stompboxman's senseless rant about losing the "special effects" of the factory is not only baseless from an engineering perspective, but entirely misleading. None of the functionality is lost, it simply sounds better with certain rigs. Yours is most likely one of them.

This.

I've never read about anybody having problems with this mod.

But socket them just the same in case you don't like it.

• Members

My opinion is based on my experience. Your experience seems to based on knocking mine. Whatever!

I don't think the Fuzz Factory is too bright and so do thousands of other users who know how to use it with their rig.

I guess every other fuzz pedal on the market must have perfect EQ because the Fuzz Factory is the only one I ever hear needing a low end mod.

So what if I think the Fuzz Factory is the holy grail of fuzz pedals.

Since when is losing the clarity of you signal thought as being better?

• Members

I'm going to help you re-write your post so as to smooth out some of the more offensive bits. The callousness with which some forumites tend to post here needs a bit of lotion. Imagine how much less inflammatory this wording would have been.

I haven't had success with the EQ. Stompboxman tends to put the original design on a pedal-stal, although imho it doesn't sit well with every rig. The bright, reedy sonic quality is not something unique to your FF, it is inherent in the design. Try the cap mod, its what worked for me and countless others. Fortunately, you can't change physics, so Stompboxman's comments about losing the "special effects" of the factory is only partially true from an engineering perspective, since changing the components does shift the oscillation range. The functionality isn't lost despite these changes. It simply sounds better with certain rigs. Yours is most likely one of them.

• Members

Slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp. Slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp. Sluuuuuurrrpp!

Slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp.

Slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp.

Slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp slurp.

Swallow!

Very interesting!

• Members

I haven't had success with the EQ. Stompboxman tends to put the original design on a pedal-stal, although imho it doesn't sit well with every rig. The bright, reedy sonic quality is not something unique to your FF, it is inherent in the design. Try the cap mod, its what worked for me and countless others. Fortunately, you can't change physics, so Stompboxman's comments about losing the "special effects" of the factory is only partially true from an engineering perspective, since changing the components does shift the oscillation range. The functionality isn't lost despite these changes. It simply sounds better with certain rigs. Yours is most likely one of them.

:thu:

can I borrow a fuzz factory from someone? pretty please?

It was the 1st fuzz I tried and I didn't get along with it - this thread makes me want one again.

• Members

And that was entirely unnecessary. Your characterization of Stompboxman is a misrepresentation of reality. He loves the Fuzz Factory as it is. He's not posting here on account of me.

Hey that's great!

So how was it?

• Members

:thu:

can I borrow a fuzz factory from someone? pretty please?

It was the 1st fuzz I tried and I didn't get along with it - this thread makes me want one again.

i think anyone wouldnt 'get along' with it if it were their first fuzz. you should get another. ive got one i dont even use very frequently but its so fun i cant bring myself to sell it b/c i know ill end up buying another.:)

actually, youve got tons of wierd ass pedals, right? we could do a temp trade if you want.

• Members

ok, this is turning into one of "those" threads. how about we just chillax
:)

I can't change how anyone will interpret what I post, but I would like to stress that they don't take what I say seriously or personally.

I just like to bust peoples chops, and I mean it in a totally non malicious and playful way.

Feel free to do the same to me. :wave:

• Members

I'm going to help you re-write your post so as to smooth out some of the more offensive bits. The callousness with which some forumites tend to post here needs a bit of lotion. Imagine how much less inflammatory this wording would have been.

:eek:

Thanks man! Although, most would describe my language as abrasive, not offensive.

• Members

My opinion is based on my experience. Your experience seems to based on knocking mine. Whatever!

I don't think the Fuzz Factory is too bright and so do thousands of other users who know how to use it with their rig.

I guess every other fuzz pedal on the market must have perfect EQ because the Fuzz Factory is the only one I ever hear needing a low end mod.

So what if I think the Fuzz Factory is the holy grail of fuzz pedals.

Since when is losing the clarity of you signal thought as being better?

:love:

jonathan-brandis.jpg

• Members

Okay, so I got the parts, and it seems that I accidentaly ordered the flat "mylar film" capacitors instead of the electrolytic "barrel" ones that are in there already (they didn't have pictures on the site, so it's not quite as dumb as it sounds). Can I actually use these, or will they somehow make the pedal explode?

• Members

Okay, so I got the parts, and it seems that I accidentaly ordered the flat "mylar film" capacitors instead of the electrolytic "barrel" ones that are in there already (they didn't have pictures on the site, so it's not quite as dumb as it sounds). Can I actually use these, or will they somehow make the pedal explode?

not 100% sure but I think you need to use electrolytics, those film caps aren't polarized.

• Members

Also, just so I'm clear, the input cap is the 10uf one closest to the input jack, right next to the larger 100uf one, and NOT the third 10uf cap in the middle of the circuit next to the transistors, right?

Archived