Fuzz Factory tone control project.

Elazul

• Members

Hi all,

I just got a Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory a couple of days ago and am so far liking it's versatility a great deal, but I'm also finding it somewhat trebley and harsh, so I'd really love to add a tone control to beef up it's low frequencies and as I don't have much wiring experience (all I've really done is change pickups) I'd like some help doing this.

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions as to what kind of tone control to use (mini toggle, trim pot, suggested cap values, etc.), schematics on how to construct it and where I should wire it into the pedal itself.

Any help at all would be welcome.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

dude get a Danelectro fish n chips eq and use it to sculpt the tone to your liking

I know those things are pretty cheap, but they're still more expensive than modding my fuzz factory would be. Plus i'm running out of pedalboard space.

• Members

time is money... time you spend looking on internet for schmenatics could be better spent at friends houses with your hands in there couches looking for loose change to fund purchase of fish n chips.

agreed, plus by doing this you will save the resale value of your pedal :thu:

• Members

I changed the input and output caps on mine to higher values. more pronounced lowend. I put in a socket too so that I could swap out values at will

ff_cap_mod.jpg

Cool, what values did you use, and do you have a picture of the input cap as well? I want to make sure that I switch out the right ones.

• Members

I changed the input and output caps on mine to higher values. more pronounced lowend. I put in a socket too so that I could swap out values at will

ff_cap_mod.jpg

DO this!

Ever since I first posted a diagram (years ago) of how to swap the in/out caps in fuzz factories everyone is doing it nowadays and is usually the answer people are looking for as far as getting rid of the thin sound inherent to this pedal.

There is NO setting on the stock fuzz factory that can compare to 47uF in/47uFout caps.

Do the mod, but get the polarity right, the PCB is marked so you cant {censored} it up!:thu:

• Members

The max Fuzz Factory setting is 7-7-5-5. Unofficially the tone controls of the Fuzz Factory are: Drive is the bass control and Stab is the treble control. If you lowered the Stab control you should cut the squeal with your Comp or Gate control. I like to use the Comp cause the Stab is a reverse gain control, unofficially!

To mod the Fuzz Factory instead of investing in a EQ pedals million uses is not about the pedal having to much treble.

I've always though those who think the pedal is too bright must be those who have their amps treble control @ 10 while using the bridge PU.

• Members

Once you modify your Fuzz Factory you loose it's warranty.

That's not true. We won't fix your mod, however. We'll only put it back to factory spec. We've fixed all kinds of fuzz factories that people have unsuccessfully tried to install in guitars (once someone installed it in a drum.) We never charge for a repair. We had this FF come in once where the guys' basement practice space flooded and his FF washed behind the dryer and wasn't found until years later when he replaced it. The electronics were all rust dust. It was completely gone except the case. We stripped it down and put all new guts in his old corroded case and it worked perfectly. Same thing with J Mascis' Woolly that was caught in the fire. It was pretty f-ed up. We replaced everything on that one too.

The only fix we won't do is an empty enclosure. We get that sometimes... people pick them up on eBay after a guitar install.

• Members

The max Fuzz Factory setting is 7-7-5-5. Unofficially the tone controls of the Fuzz Factory are: Drive is the bass control and Stab is the treble control. If you lowered the Stab control you should cut the squeal with your Comp or Gate control. I like to use the Comp cause the Stab is a reverse gain control, unofficially!

To mod the Fuzz Factory instead of investing in a EQ pedals million uses is not about the pedal having to much treble.

I've always though those who think the pedal is too bright must be those who have their amps treble control @ 10 while using the bridge PU.

Just for the record, I'm mostly using my Les Paul's Alnico 2 neck pickup with the tone rolled back to 6 into a Laney VC30 with the treble at 12 o'clock and the bright switch off, and it's honestly about as trebley as the bypass signal on my Highway 1 Strat's bridge pickup with the tone and volume wide open. I know that tone can vary somewhat from pedal to pedal, but I'm honestly starting to think that mine is faulty in some way.

Anyway, as I said before I love general the vibe and vesatility of the pedal, so I really hope that replacing the caps actually works for me. I should get it done in the next couple of days and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Also, thanks for the warranty info Zack, but I got it used so I don't have it registered anyway. :facepalm:

• Members

Also, thanks for the warranty info Zack, but I got it used so I don't have it registered anyway.
:facepalm:

AFAIK that shouldnt matter if its the handpainted ones... they have a lifetime warranty, just email Z the serial number and your name.

But im sure Z will be able to set you straight... :)

• Members

...Also, thanks for the warranty info Zack, but I got it used so I don't have it registered anyway.
:facepalm:

Doesn't matter. Any authentic ZVEX hand-painted pedal has a lifetime warranty that's fully transferable... registered or not. Just bear in mind, if you ever send it in for service, we will return it to our (electronic) design. That means any mods you've done (or anyone else has done) will likely be removed. If you've hot-glued tiny plastic ducklings to it, however, we'll try to keep those intact.

What this means is, you may purchase any ZVEX pedal without knowing if it's working, because we'll fix it up for you for the cost of shipping/handling. bear in mind that handling may be as much as $700,000 depending on your planet.

Archived