pedmands

I found an ART MR-1 in a suitcase on the side of the road

The MR-1 is a little metal box put out by Applied Research & Technology oh, about 10 years ago or so. It's a mono reverb with 16 voices and a dry/wet knob. It looks like this:

MR1.jpg

It takes AC power (9v) and had no adapter or manual. When I plug it in using a 9v 1A wall wart, I only get slight crackling with it turned all the way to dry. Is this thing burnt out? Does anyone know anything about these? The ART site didn't even have a manual up.

Should I even try to fix it, or is it a {censored} reverb?

I cracked it open, and all the components looked pretty good. There was some slight burned-looking parts, but those were on the two POTs, and only on the solder side of the board, almost as if they were meant to be done.

It's digital 'verb, is that something that could be destroyed by having DC plugged into it if it's supposed to be AC only?

is the power supply you're using putting out AC or DC? I am pretty sure it has to be AC output. That's how it is on their little tube comp and their mic preamps.....

is the power supply you're using putting out AC or DC? I am pretty sure it has to be AC output. That's how it is on their little tube comp and their mic preamps.....

I only have one AC adapter on hand (who uses AC?!), and it only puts out the necessary 9 Volts at a measly 1 Amp. My pedestrian understanding is that it would be underpowered at 1 Amp possibly, and wouldn't work- but with the wet/dry all the way dry, I get some really clipped signal and nothing else from the guitar. It may have been on the side of the road because it was unusable. But I'm hoping that when ART gets back to me (I emailed them) and gives me the pdf of the manual, it will have some troubleshooting in there. At least it should have the proper Amps needed to power the thing.

I'm wondering what components would be fried- it looks like a pretty simple circuit (save for the chips). I have a multimeter and may be able to ferret out the problems if I had a data sheet. I don't know :idk:

I only have one AC adapter on hand (who uses AC?!), and it only puts out the necessary 9 Volts at a measly 1 Amp. My pedestrian understanding is that it would be underpowered at 1 Amp possibly, and wouldn't work- but with the wet/dry all the way dry, I get some really clipped signal and nothing else from the guitar. It may have been on the side of the road because it was unusable. But I'm hoping that when ART gets back to me (I emailed them) and gives me the pdf of the manual, it will have some troubleshooting in there. At least it should have the proper Amps needed to power the thing.

I'm wondering what components would be fried- it looks like a pretty simple circuit (save for the chips). I have a multimeter and may be able to ferret out the problems if I had a data sheet. I don't know
:idk:

1 Amp is A LOT for a pedal.

Do you think it's too much for this unit, then? I also found another adapter that puts out 300mA.

was a cool pedal whilst i had mine... can be picked up for cheap on ebay so check there before you spend too much time or $ on repair :)

I was thinking the same thing... I thought maybe there was some difference between AC and DC that I wasn't aware of, but 1 Amp 9V DC could power a lot of pedals at once.

Do you think it's too much for this unit, then? I also found another adapter that puts out 300mA.

Can't have too much. The mA can be infinitely higher than what the pedal requires, they just can't be any lower. It's the total available current, and the pedal will only take as much as it needs.

If you found is in an abandoned suitcase, and it's burnt, and it looks cheap; it must be boo-teek.

Can't have too much. The mA can be infinitely higher than what the pedal requires, they just can't be any lower. It's the total available current, and the pedal will only take as much as it needs.

This.

I'm wondering what components would be fried- it looks like a pretty simple circuit (save for the chips). I have a multimeter and may be able to ferret out the problems if I had a data sheet. I don't know
:idk:

The adapter should say whether it's AC or DC output. As long as it's AC output, and the polarity is correct, the 1 amp rating should be fine. As far as who uses AC.... a LOT of stuff by Peavey, ART, and others use AC. Mostly audio stuff more so than guitar stuff, though, in my experience.

9 VOLT AC

800ma
:wave:

Cool, thanks man! So the 1 Amp should have had it working.. I guess something in the circuitry is just fried. Maybe it's not worth my time

Cool, thanks man! So the 1 Amp should have had it working.. I guess something in the circuitry is just fried. Maybe it's not worth my time

You're welcome! :wave:

Maybe see what ART has to say. Maybe if you send it to em - they'll fix it :idk: