How many of you CURRENTLY play in a band?

delayed delay

• Members

Am i the only one who thinks that playing at church isn't being in a band?

Am I also the only one who thinks that learning covers with some friends is technically a "band" but not really?

no you're right. just because you play in a church "band" doesn't mean you're in a "band." i played for my church back in my teen years when i actually went and it is not a "band" in my opinion.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

no you're right. just because you play in a church "band" doesn't mean you're in a "band." i played for my church back in my teen years when i actually went and it is not a "band" in my opinion.

I suspect that a lot of guys on HC(maybe not HCFX as much) use "church" as a valid excuse to "jam".

I would go as far as to say it's not even similar to being in a band.

• Members

I consider playing guitar in my basement the same as being in a band. One time there were people down here while I played, that's like an audience right?

as long as they weren't church people with their hands raised in the air, then its kinda like being in a band.]

• Members

I suspect that a lot of guys on HC(maybe not HCFX as much) use "church" as a valid excuse to "jam".

I would go as far as to say it's not even similar to being in a band.

Agreed, but it is "performing". Unlike bedroom wankery, you actually have to play complete songs within a group of other musicians, and there are more people watching/listening than playing.

• Members

Agreed, but it is "performing". Unlike bedroom wankery, you actually have to play complete songs within a group of other musicians, and there are more people watching/listening than playing.

yes, i would say it is "performing". although, if you're really "playing for god", then "performing" for any self-gratification other than pleasing god is "wrong".

• Members

I've been involved in a band in one form or another for the last 3 years or so. Never anything big, and I've only been involved in a handful of small non-paying gigs, but it's all fun. It's also important for me to have a current set of songs and sound to work on... keeps me from just aimlessly collecting gear and playing the same 3 riffs over and over on 'em.

• Members

im sad to say that i think a few days ago that the band i was in for 4 years decided to call it quits.... we have been together since jr. high and figure its too hard going to all sorts of different schools and different parts of the country. i think im going to take a year off of playing in a band and take the time to write some songs.. write them solidly and get some good stuff written. scope out some local talent at my college and hopefully find a drummer i can steal and get something really good going. its time for a new beginning!

• Members

yes, i would say it is "performing". although, if you're
really
"playing for god", then "performing" for any self-gratification other than pleasing god is "wrong".

definitely. pretty much everything people do in church now is for self gratification, at least from what i've seen. i think its gross that "christian" bands such as third day and such say they don't put on concerts but church services, but charge for their "church service." anyways, i dig that guys oxblood bad cats.

• Members

definitely. pretty much everything people do in church now is for self gratification, at least from what i've seen. i think its gross that "christian" bands such as third day and such say they don't put on concerts but church services, but charge for their "church service." anyways, i dig that guys oxblood bad cats.

Agreed. I've played Christian music for over 30 years. I've never accepted a penny for doing so. Secular clients pay the going rate.

• Members

1 solo drone band
1 drone/noise collab thing
1 trashy psych glam project that needs vocals

I occasionally do shows for the drone stuff. No shows for now as I recently had my main gig amp stolen; saving the loot for a Hayseed. I've decided on a Supro/Hayseed 30 stereo setup for the psych stuff. I'm going to finish the record and promote it some before I do shows for that though.

• Members
Nice stuff - I thought I was the only guy still gigging a Quadraverb!

What is the M13 thingie - I'm not familiar with it?

:thu:

The quadraverb is so lush! And i got it sooo cheap too!

Oh the line6 m13 is basically all the line6 pedals in one... really made my life easier onstage, and when writing and arranging songs...

I should of mentioned my band is a shoegaze meets nine inch nails kinda vibe... not metal at all... just a very big sound :)

• Members
I'z just curious.
:lol:

I believe it was Crxsh who stated once before that "Most of use need $5k worth of gear just to sound good in our bedroom!"... and that got me thinkin'...

How many of you are currently playing in a band/church/orchestra/etc... or do you just love makin' sweet music/toanz on your own (nothing wrong with that at ALL by the way...)?

'Cuz I'm honestly willing to bet, and its rather amusing, that the people who play live w/ other peeps actually own cheaper pedals compared to those who play in their bedrooms...
:lol:

I'm currently in two bands (see sig), my most expensive pedals are an Effector13 Truly Beautiful Disaster ($195) but I don't use it live (a russian Big Muff and, sometimes, a Vexter FF covers my fuzz/noise needs) and a EHX Microsynth (old version, bought second hand for about $200).

• Members

i play in a band...going on 3 years, we have about 30 originals and we do a couple of covers...its fun, the only thing that sucks is that i travel an hour and 20 min each way for practice...i still question myself why :facepalm:

• Members

I'm in a band.

Regular gigs, recording, etc.

My rig: $160 SX bass, $300 head/cab

Guitarist: $200 MIM Fender w/emgs, $250 SS Crate halfstack

Keyboard: $600 (bought it new) Roland RX9, $150 keyboard amp/PA

Drummer: $400 4 piece no name kit might be a Tama, but I'm not sure. It's a piece, he really needs some new drums :facepalm:

That's less than $2k for the whole band and the sad fact is, even with "{censored}ty gear" we usually get more crowd response, more compliments and just have more fun than any other band on the bill :thu:

Truth be told, I personally had a HUGE eye opener in Tampa about "Bands that have an imbalanced gear-to-talent ratio".

We played second on a bill of five bands (:eek:) so we started at about 10:30.

Two bands after us, this 3 piece metal band is on. All older guys 40s/50s. I REALLY HOPE THEY AREN'T HC MEMBERS AS I'M ABOUT TO SAY A FEW NOT SO NICE THINGS.

First of all, the bartender and sound guy both lambasted these guys to me before they even set up, so they weren't off to a good start.

The guitarist had

-an old Hiwatt Custom 50 with (from what I could tell) a '70s Hiwatt cabinet, probably with the original Fanes

-a vertical-input JCM800 with a 1960bv

-an original Roland Space Echo RE-201

-a rack that I didn't get a very close look at, but it definitely had a Sonic Maximizer, a Korg 1000 rack tuner and a multi fx....G major perhaps?

-A pedalboard with no less than 15 pedals. I barely looked at it, but it was a custom job and the only pedals I bothered noticing were a Mesa V1 and a Heil talkbox.

-An HSS Fender w/OFR (could have been any make, I didn't get a close look at it). And another custom guitar that was...well, there's nothing to be said about it. It was "monstrous".

The drummer had a HUGE kit, complete with the power rack and double kick

The bass player was playing through a 1x18/4x10 with a thousand-watt Hartke and three basses (epi Tbird, Fender knockoff...yamaha or something and a Fender Jazz--probably MIM)

Anyway, there was EASILY over $10k worth the gear on that stage and within the first five minutes there was nobody left in the "seating area".

There were still some people at the bar, but everybody cleared out from in front of the stage.

I'm conflicted by this.

1. If you're passionate about doing something and it makes you happy, you should do it, even if you're not very good at it. That being said, they were all good players, but their songs were terrible and they had no stage presence whatsoever.

2. People can spend their money however they want, I couldn't care less that this guy has all of that great stuff, but gear =/= tone and gear =/= talent.

3. I felt bad for the last band because no matter how good they were, nobody was going to sit through these guys to wait and see them, with VERY few exceptions. That's unfair to the last band.

4. Is it possible that these guys really don't know that they're not entertaining? And even so, at that point, do you relegate your playing to your house/garage and maybe the occasional friend's party in the interest of being pragmatic? But if playing out is your joy, isn't that then unfair to you?

5. How could you possibly tell someone, especially when they love to play, that they should keep their music to themselves? That's soul-crushing stuff.

Anyway, I don't know why I felt the need to even mention that, let alone create a numbered list of my thoughts, but that's that.

Oh, Saturday's gig in Tampa went very very well, btw :D

Archived