OT: 'like a complete unknown!'

jorhay1

• Members

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/15/bob-dylan-he-s-like-a-complete-unknown-115875-21598044/

Music legend Bob Dylan was stopped yesterday by a police officer who did not recognise him and ordered him to get ID.

Officers were alerted after Dylan, 68, was spotted "acting suspiciously" while taking an afternoon stroll.

A 22-year-old patrolwoman demanded to see his papers.

Dylan gave her his name but it did not strike a chord and she ordered him into her car.

The star, who sang "How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete unknown?", was then driven to his hotel and told to produce his documents.

He had been stopped after residents in the seaside town of Long Branch reported an eccentric-looking "old scruffy man who was acting suspiciously".

The officer did not realise she was dropping a huge clanger until she radioed colleagues and gave her captive's name.

Officer Craig Spencer said: "When she called us to check who Bob Dylan was I admit we all fell about laughing.

"The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us. I offered to bring in some of my Dylan albums but unfortunately she doesn't know what vinyl is either.

"I'd have been demanding his autograph not his photo ID.

"Dylan was walking in the Latin area and the residents felt he didn't fit in. Let's just say he looked eccentric.

"They said there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously.

"The woman officer we sent is 22 and unfortunately she had no idea who Bob Dylan was. He was on a walkabout but she wasn't entirely convinced of his innocence.

"She took him back to the hotel to check his papers."

The folk, country and rock legend had been in town for a concert with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp.

Dylan has often preferred going unrecognised. He once told an interviewer: "Being noticed is a burden. Jesus got himself crucified because he got himself noticed. So I disappear a lot."

In 1991 he was filmed at a bus stop in Belfast after shunning his chauffeur-driven car. In the words of one of his songs, he could have told the young woman officer: "It ain't me you're looking for, babe."

Archived