Line 6 M9?

kriista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Since we're talking about Micing, I have an Audix F-50, how is that for micing amps? What should I get for an interface? Looking at an ART Dualpre at the moment, but it'd be nice to just have the one input to save moneys.

Does the M9 have any reasonable DIing abilities?

• Members
Does the M9 have any reasonable DIing abilities?

Has none - you'd need to run into some kind of pre. Even makes a joking reference to this in one of the FAQs/manuals - meant as a replacement for all the stuff in front of your amp (or addition to).

• Members

Quick question about the M9, can it cop the glitchy, fake sounding octaves of a Whammy? It may seem strange but I hope it has a pitchshifter patch that doesn't track very well, glitchy octaves are a big part of my sound. If it can pull those off I'm officially getting one as soon as I have the funds.

• Members
Quick question about the M9, can it cop the glitchy, fake sounding octaves of a Whammy? It may seem strange but I hope it has a pitchshifter patch that doesn't track very well, glitchy octaves are a big part of my sound. If it can pull those off I'm officially getting one as soon as I have the funds.

Yea, it will glitch if you want it too.

• Members

the thing that really interests me about the whole line 6 m13/m9 is how big of a deal they are becoming.

a lot of boutique guys would never even look at line 6, but even at the gear page there is a lot of discussion on these things. The discussion alone shows that some guys are a little confused abut whether or not the line 6 is really giving their individual pedals a run for their money.

If I were to be honest, I hope for a future where one unit can handle most of a guitarists needs, I love all single pedals, and the tangibility of a whammy/deluxe memory man/big muff

but the truth is one pedal would eliminate tone loss/cable issues/power supplies/huge heavy pedal boards.

listening to these demos I hear some cool sounds. And as music is subjective there will always be guys out there who want their analog boutique delay.

but maybe the future of some people trying to justify their 500 dollar delay pedal will be squashed, by the technology of having that sound and more for less money/less hassle.

but hey I am sure some people here would say that these products could never touch their beloved pedals. To be honest I am on neither side, just curious as to what others think on the subject.

• Members

i consider myself to be pretty open minded about pedals--occaisionally in the past i've fallen prey to corksniffery. but now i'm at a point where i like finding good sounding stuff and try to be honest about stuff. i've got some expensive ass pedals (binson, cornish, moog), but it's only because they truly do {censored}ing pwn huge. but i've got plenty of non-boutique stuff also (boss, digitech, etc.)

in the late 90's, i've mostly loathed line 6--not because of the actual products they made--but because i associated them with like Nu Metal, limp bizkit, n' {censored}. i mean i'd go into guitar center and see these little douchebags copping limp bizkit riffs on line 6 gear. i don't know, it just bothered me.

but eventually i was exposed to the DL-4, i was thoroughly impressed by the delay toanz. ended up getting the echo park, it was my main delay for quite a while--literally took the moog delay to dethrone it. it took out some pretty formiddable competition along the way (all boutique type {censored}).

anyhow--i've always been pretty impressed by line 6's delays/verbs. i never really gave their other stuff much notice, but now with this i'm truly coming around. if they can improve the Echorec model a little more--i will probably shelve my real echorec. the m9 will never replace my fuzzes--it just doesn't react to vol knob/pickups the way a real fuzz does.

long story short--aside from a fuzz pedal--i could easily gig/record with nothing but a hiwatt and an M9. but i still prefer many of my stand alone pedals.

now i see my board going:
wah probe
gooby bag of dicks
crowther prunez & custard
germ fuzz face
echorec
moog lpf (w/ cp251)
moog delay
M9

the thing that really interests me about the whole line 6 m13/m9 is how big of a deal they are becoming.

a lot of boutique guys would never even look at line 6, but even at the gear page there is a lot of discussion on these things. The discussion alone shows that some guys are a little confused abut whether or not the line 6 is really giving their individual pedals a run for their money.

If I were to be honest, I hope for a future where one unit can handle most of a guitarists needs, I love all single pedals, and the tangibility of a whammy/deluxe memory man/big muff

but the truth is one pedal would eliminate tone loss/cable issues/power supplies/huge heavy pedal boards.

listening to these demos I hear some cool sounds. And as music is subjective there will always be guys out there who want their analog boutique delay.

but maybe the future of some people trying to justify their 500 dollar delay pedal will be squashed, by the technology of having that sound and more for less money/less hassle.

but hey I am sure some people here would say that these products could never touch their beloved pedals. To be honest I am on neither side, just curious as to what others think on the subject.

• Members

I'll bet you anything the M9 becomes the bigger deal of the two. It's small and inconspicuous.

It doesn't look like a multi-effects unit and this is a huge deal to me, because in my mind, there's still a huge stigma to using multi effects units. I mean, hell, they all sounded god awful until quite recently. I think Line 6 is going to pave the way for a lot of companies realizing that guitarists don't want something that's going to replace every pedal on their board, or something that's so goddamn gigantic that there's no room left for anything else.

It's like... give me something with a small footprint, something without an extraneous amp modeling section that I'm going to bypass anyway, and something that integrates into the board I already have. The M9 is the first product I've seen, ever, that actually fits that market niche. I'll be buying one very, very soon.

To the guys that own one - how's the bypass? I remember the DL4 also being touted as "true bypass" but it was found to have some definite tone coloration when off. Is it the same deal with the M9?

• Members
anyhow--i've always been pretty impressed by line 6's delays/verbs.

That's what I'm saying! Even if you bought this thing to use STRICTLY as a delay / verb box, it would be more functional than most dedicated delays just based on its ability to do scenes. 24 scenes compared to the 4 memory locations of a DL4 or DD20? It seems like such a no brainer to me.