Vox Night Train - opinions from hcfx...

stevemcb

• Members

I'm seriously GASing for one of these with a 1x12 cab. I've searched, but there don't seem to be that many impressions from owners, and certainly not after the honeymoon period/initial bedding in. So I want to ask for myself - any experiences, good or bad? How did you find it took pedals? What cabs did it sound best with?

I should say I'm looking for cleans - I love Vox-style sounds. Ideally, I'd be able to get great cleans with just a hint of breakup, not very loud. Most of my playing is in church, stage volume is low. Need for more dirt is handled (OD3, big box Rat RI, Dano TOD and COD, TS5). Reverb is handled (Marshall Reflector).

What do you guys think?

Steve

• Members

I played one at GC for over an hour. Sounds awesome.........but(Maybe because it was the floor model), it kept farting out on me when I really cranked it. The only reason I did NOT buy it was because my wife was with me.........and she said "We need a new refrigerator and you already have 5 amps!":mad:

• Members

Yeah, I tried one for a while and didn't like the way it broke up. It was kind of farty, really trebly, and I could never really get any sort of smooth breakup out of it even when it was only slightly driven (basically it was too harsh for me, and I tried it with about 4 different cabs). The clean sounds was pretty decent, but that's not all I was hoping to get out of the amp. After that and trying a Rebel 20 I ended up with a MAZ 18.

Archived