Guyatone AD-X Tube Delay, any ideas?

scaryfried

• Members

Hey, a friend has offered this pedal, virtually new in box to me for $150AUD (about $120USD). I've been gassing for a delay that can self-oscillate fairly easily and sounds warm, and more colours the tone to create an ambience than any complete reproduction type of delay.

I've not heard anything about these delays before, but do you think this is a decent price? It sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thanks heaps. :thu:

• Members

yup, it's digital/analog hybrid pedal

uses the same digital delay circuit as the MD-3 Microdelay

the TD-X uses a frequency filtering system combined with a tube to achieve an analog delay sound

it seems quite versatile, with 2600msecs of delay and a

it seems to be like a cheaper alternative to the T-Rex Replica, with a tube

never actually seen/tried one, kind of rare actually, because it never really made it into the shops ... the other Flip series tube pedals are also not too common, but the AD-X only pops up for sale once in a while

120 seems a bit expensive, but it will probably be worth it

(i'd try to hassle it down to 100$ US)

EDIT : got them TD-X and AD-X mixed up

AD-X seems all analog, and only has 200 msecs, hmmm that's perfect for slapback and short echo

but not really all that versatile

• Members

Do you think the tube echo version is the analog and the s.o'ing one?

i tlooks like the analog one is analog. only from a quick glance at that noiseguide page where it says maimum of 200ms. that sounds like analog delay.

yeah, the tube echo is 2600ms. that's definitely digital delay... i think Seif was thinking of that one. Seif? :poke:

• Members

200ms is very short for me.

do you have any recording software? record yourself playing something/load up a tune - go into the wave editor and you should be able to see how long 200ms is.. play that on a loop..

personally even the Boss DM-2 at 300ms was too little for me. i generally go somewhere between 350ms to 500ms for my standard delays.

• Members

I was able to load up Revalver Standalone and muck around with Re-Lay 4 and get some cool sounds out of it when not turning the delay more than 200ms.

Do you think if I bought it, I'd be able to sell it for the same price again? Would I be getting ripped off?

• Members

No problem - thanks for your help :)

Another question though - the amp I use is a Laney TF300 which has one pre-amp valve, it's actually a great amp, but some times it seems a bit sterile... it's a long shot, but do you think if I had this in the effects loop the valve would warm it up a bit? The pedal uses a 12AX7.

Also, do you know how many repeats this would have? Would it be just one, like DA da, or have a few like DA da da da da da... hopefully that makes sense. Haha.

EDIT: How many ms. did you have your DOD FX-90 on your sound clips set on? The delay towards the start of that clip is the type of sound I'm going for (15 - 30 secs?. Great clips, by the way :)

• Members

i'm not sure if running a valve delay in an fx loop is a good idea or not to be honest.. hopefully can help you with that.

there should be a decent amount of repeats. especially if it goes into oscillation.. that's effectively an infinite number of repeats.

on the FX-90, i think the very start might be 280ms or so.. 1:10min is probably about 200ms at a guess.

Archived