what in the h@(( is Alternative Rock?

jorhay1

• Members

a rediculous label used by mainstream music stations and stores to conveniently classify anything that isn't pop, rap, techno, metal, country, straight rock and classical. used primarily during the 90s.

"this is alternative music"
me: "alternative to what?"

• Members

It's a term that really only had meaning in the early/mid 90s when mainstream "rock" was Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen, then bands like Nirvana came along, who weren't interested in or influenced by any of the rock bands who'd been commercially successful in the previous ten or fifteen years. Suddenly, it seemed like a whole parallel world of rock music appeared on the radio that had existed in various forms since the punk era, but that had only just become commercially viable.

It's about as broad a term as they come in terms of defining genres- Grunge was at the core of the media coverage of "alternative rock", but everything from the Pixies to the Violent Femmes to Jane's Addiction to the Red Hot Chili Peppers got lumped together as "alternative". If you want any sort of meaningful definition, I guess it's "any early-to-mid 90s band that was doing anything remotely interesting with guitars and didn't sound like 80s stadium rock".

• Members

...the label is still in use today, but IMO it became completely meaningless around the point that bands like Staind and Puddle of Mudddddddd, who were 10th generation xerox copies of alternative rock were on heavy rotation on MTV.

It was supposed to be the "alternative" to mainstream poodle-perms-and-spandex rock, but it doesn't make any sense to call it that now that it is mainstream rock.

• Members

I get a kick from the Alternative section in a local CD place because it has the stuff you'd expect, like the current batch of New Wave revivalists, and it also has stuff from the Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, Captain Beefheart etc. In other words the term is meaningless.

It's also known as the WeCan'tBeArsedToMakeACustomGenreSignForEachThing section.

• Members

Harmony House USED to have U2 in Alternative section...
its all about perception
back in late 80's early 90's I considered "the replacements'. Husker du, Souxsie and the banshees, the cure, Rem, The Cult, Love and Rockets, Black Flag, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses, Belly, and many others alternative...anything not top 40

Archived