Would it be okay to clean a pot with rubbing alcohol?

schecterc1lh

• Members

Pots are made of carbon at least most of them. when you clean them you want something that will clean it and lube it. Such as Deoxit or an electronics grade cleaner/lube. Just don't do it man!!!!:thu:

It may not destroy it but I would not recommend it. You'll still have to lube the pot afterwards.

• Members

$15 for contact cleaner?

I bought a can of this stuff for $5 to use on my car's iac valve... works every bit as good on pots and switches. Got it at autozone.

crccleaner.jpg

Just used it on a 25 year old 5-way strat pickup selector that was cutting out and noisy. 3 sprays and its like new.

• Members

Thank God no one said to use WD40
:facepalm:

why not WD40? i used them many times, and seemed to work well. i just dont know what the effect will be in the long run. :facepalm: me. :facepalm:

seriously, i wanna know. i thought WD stands for water displacement something. quick rundown please. :)

• Members

DeOxit is well worth the high price tag. In fact, I'd gladly pay double or (maybe) even three times as much for it because it's the best cleaner in the world for audio electronics. Many times now, a few sprays of that stuff has brought everything from amps to guitars back from the dead. I mean there have been amps that sounded straight-up BROKEN; cutting out, distorted, wrecked, etc... and a few sprays on a switch or pot made it sound factory fresh.

The time I was able to use it to completely repair a malfunctioning Bogen pa amp in a restaurant was when I got totally hooked.

• Members

why not WD40? i used them many times, and seemed to work well. i just dont know what the effect will be in the long run.
me.

seriously, i wanna know. i thought WD stands for water displacement something. quick rundown please.
:)

Yes....water displacement. How does water become displaced? By a thin residue that is left on the area you sprayed. What happens is that the WD40 leaves a residue and over time collects dust & dirt...and will gum up your pots. WD40 has many uses. Cleaning your guitar pots is not one of them. If pots were meant to have a residue to protect them....don't you think they'd leave the factory that way? Use electrical contact cleaner.

Archived