Boss OD-3 question

bigtorquehemi

• Members

Ok. I just brought home this pedal to try it out.....brand new....and it sucks. I can't get it to sound good. I'm playing it through my effects loop, iv'e tried it in all different configurations as placement with other effects. Iv'e tried it by itself...iv'e tried all different settings on the pedal and amp. I'm running it through a valveking 212 with a schecter solo 6 classic. tried it with humbucker and single...it sounds like it has a super chorus effect....i don't know how else to explain it. I've never had any complaints with boss pedals...maybe i got a bad one....just wondering if its my rig or the pedal.

• Members

it worked . I play wireless when i play out so now i gotta figure out how im gonna use this pedal if i want to keep it. I get almost the same sound whith the gain turned down as i do from the stomper so it might be easier just to bring it back. Its nice to use as a booster....but i already have one of those in my effects loop. tell me why you use your overdrive. i'm gonna go play around with it a little more...see what it'l do.

• Members

Well I put all of my pedals out front even though I have an effects loop. Generally, the pedals you want in your loop are delay, reverb, some modulation like chorus. Otherwise, all boost and dirt pedals are almost always better out front. SHouldn't matter whether you use a wireless or not, I wouldn't think.

• Members

it worked . I play wireless when i play out so now i gotta figure out how im gonna use this pedal if i want to keep it. I get almost the same sound whith the gain turned down as i do from the stomper so it might be easier just to bring it back. Its nice to use as a booster....but i already have one of those in my effects loop. tell me why you use your overdrive. i'm gonna go play around with it a little more...see what it'l do.

Overdrives are meant to be used as boosters, also to emulate the stauration of a medium gain tube amp. Try using it with your clean channel, you see why it's popular.

• Members

hey

i have a boss od3

i got it about 3 years ago and lost it, luckly i found it recently and have been using it a lot

i think its such a warm, sounding pedal, and you can get those low based sounds out of it to add just a bit of od to your sound.

the settings i use on it are

level - 9 o'clock

Tone - 1-2 o'clock

gain - 9-12

you'll get some good sounds out of it

i also use this to add a bit more dirt to my english muff'n

great pedal :thu:

with regards to the loop issue

my muff'n and od3 sound awful in loop

yet my mxr + sounds great in the loop.

its one of those things that generally you dont do the "rule book" but experimenting is the best thing to do

• Members

ok, i took it to a practice last night and i love it! it has a much nicer crunch than my distortion channel. I never went to "guitar school" so I just wasn't aware. I've been playing for 35 years plus been playing in front of people for 25 and never used a overdrive til now. Chalk it up for a lesson learned. The only reason it was an issue for my wireless is because its another guitar chord to run out in front as i like to keep my unit behind me. No big deal. Thanks for all your responses.

Archived