Yamaha P140 -- safe to buy?

cromas

• Members

Hey everyone =)

I'm looking to get a nice digital piano for playing at home. I lived in a rented house for five years which had a Steinway from 1917..so I've been spoiled. I moved out a year ago and have been stuck on a $150 Casio keyboard from 2000. Bleh.

So I'm looking for something that feels and sounds closer to the Steinway I learned on than the Casio that I plinked around on as a kid. After reading a lot of reviews, I've basically decided on the Yamaha P140, which seems to be the top of the "consumer" line.

The one reservation I have is the age of the keyboard -- it was released in Fall 2005, replacing the P120. Does anyone know how often Yamaha refreshes/replaces models? I'd not like to buy a keyboard now only for an upgraded model to come out in six months.

Also, any impressions on the P140 as an (in/)appropriate choice would be appreciated. I will say that the P140 is basically the top of my budget at $1000, and couldn't spend more unless there was SIGNIFICANT added value.

Thanks!

• Members

Again, it does not and will not bother me. I don't have any 1/4" equipment and, if I ever needed it, an RCA-1/4" adapter is not hard to come by.

I did go to GC tonight, and didn't find the P140 to be quite as great as everyone else said it was. Most unacceptably for a $1000 instrument, there was background white noise on the headphone line.

I ended up spending a lot of time on the Roland FP7, and found it far superior. Unfortunately, it's $1600. Sigh.

Anyway, if anyone else does have experience or advice to share about the P140, I'm all ears.

• Members

If Yamaha DID release a new model tomorrow, at the same price point it wouldn't be significantly better than the P140. At least, not in any way you'd be likely to notice. A lot of the differences between models sound good on paper but for example, I'd be just as happy with a Motif 7 as I am with the XS7, given how I use it. And that's a good two generations apart! :D

• Members

I am in the same predicament. need an 88 key stage piano, try the P85 for less money and 1/4 jacks ( head phone jacks :rolleyes:), I am looking to test out the P140 to see if it is superior to the P85 and worth the extra $400. I like the P85 so far but want to be sure I made the right decision, the feel is great and the piano sound is lovely, the other sounds are so so ......

• Members

Again, it does not and will not bother me. I don't have any 1/4" equipment and, if I ever needed it, an RCA-1/4" adapter is not hard to come by.

I did go to GC tonight, and didn't find the P140 to be quite as great as everyone else said it was. Most unacceptably for a $1000 instrument, there was background white noise on the headphone line.

I ended up spending a lot of time on the Roland FP7, and found it far superior. Unfortunately, it's $1600. Sigh.

Anyway, if anyone else does have experience or advice to share about the P140, I'm all ears.

I just finally tested the P140 and it was not bad; however, the CP33 for $300 is a much better buy and board, you have additional features, which may or may not make a difference to you (outputs, metronome, effects - you can add chorus, tremolo, reverb variations etc, additional sounds, mod wheels, overall pretty great board.)

I also tested the FP7 in lue of the FP4 as no store had it.... The FP4 from my research seems to be a winner and if it is anything likes its bigger brother the FP7 the FP4 will be my next purchase. The specs on the FP4 dwarf those of the CP33. Yamaha missed the boat on features with the CP33 compared to the FP4. Both are $1300 and light weight (approx 39lbs - CP33 / 33lbs FP4), but the FP4 boasts:

More sounds, 128 poly, on-board speakers, 3 track sequencer, inputs and outputs, so many to list........

Archived