Roland FP4 vs FP7, others

cromas

• Members

So I was just about ready to buy a Yamaha P140 when the GC salesguy introduced me to the Roland FP-7. Granted it's $600 more expensive, but there was no comparison. The key action, sustain performance, and quality of samples was far superior. On first hearing, at least -- I'll go back to give it another try.

So I came home to read up on the FP-7, and found that they make several other pianos in this price range, including the FP-4. Roland's product information is not very good (no comparison matrices), so I'm having a hard time discerning the difference between the two. Does anyone have experience with these two boards? Is the FP-7 worth the extra money over the FP-4? Is the FP-4 even worth thinking about? And what's the difference between the FP series and the RD series?

• Members

FP7 has some more sounds (mainly organs) and the ability to conect a USB stick for audio playback. I don't use these features and bought the FP-4. The attack is lighter than the Yamaha P140 which I found too heavy. Also with the equalizer in the FP-4 you can create a very bright sound that really works in a rock-band.

I tried the Roland RD300GX but was really disappointed. The piano sample is the same is in the FP-4 or 7 (Superior grand from the RD700SX) but sounded dull. After tweaking (effect on Enhancer 127 and cut-off frequency at +63) it came close. But then the volume of the sounds lowers after 1 second and then comes back. Strange. So I'll keep my FP-4. The other nice feature is that when you use the equalizer for rock, but want to play a ballad, just switch off the equalizer and have a more mellow sound.

• Members

I tried the Roland RD300GX but was really disappointed. The piano sample is the same is in the FP-4 or 7 (Superior grand from the RD700SX) but sounded dull. After tweaking (effect on Enhancer 127 and cut-off frequency at +63) it came close. But then the volume of the sounds lowers after 1 second and then comes back. Strange. So I'll keep my FP-4. The other nice feature is that when you use the equalizer for rock, but want to play a ballad, just switch off the equalizer and have a more mellow sound.

Hmm... so fiberb - you tried the brand new Roland RD300GX and found the piano sample to be dull? :confused:

Or did you mean the RD700SX, which has been out for a few years?

Also - does the FP4 allow you to save sound edits or combinations? I have an FP2, which I got as a lightweight 88key piano for cocktail hours - sounds OK, not great. I see the (FP4 and FP7) have the "balance" knob like on my FP2 - which is a pain: dedicated sliders are easier... because w/the balance knob you always have to remember which way to turn it - to the left to get more strings, less piano... or was it the other way around (depends on which sound's button you pressed first). :lol:

• Members

Wow a new twist, I am in the dilemma as well of whether I want the:

Yamaha P85 - Entry level Stage piano, great keybed and piano sounds for the money, alright rhodes and strings, all other sounds suck - $600.00

Yamaha P120 - Raved on as the best in its class, it supposedly has all the desired features (outputs, etc) and great sound pallet. [NEED TO CHECK IT OUT...] - $800 USED

Yamaha P140 - Step up from the P85 but water down/lacking regarding the sound pallet and features compared to its predecessor the P120 [NEED TO CHECK IT OUT...] - $1000.00

Roland RD300GX - Much more than a stage piano, alright keybed, great sounds but "OK" piano sample [NEED TO CHECK IT OUT..tried the sx though, it was alright, great sounds other than piano was a little thin and keybed sucked.]- $1400.00

Roland FP4 - Need to go test it out, but seems like it may make the cut when looking and hearing is older sibling the PF7 [NEED TO CHECK IT OUT...] - $1300.00

How is it that in europe the GX has come out, I have not seen it here in the states.......If what you say about the GX is true than i will be disappointed.........

• Members

New turn in the road,

I tried finally tried out the P140 and I actually like it, stil disappointed with the limited sound selection and seemingly same sample set as the P85. Because of the $1000 price, I went over to the $1300 CP33 to test it out again and surprisingly I LOVED it. (better speakers at this GC to test with). It has more features than the P140 and really sounded great. The CP really felt more like a professional grade stage piano which is what it is marketed as, so no question the CP is worth the extra $300.

The feel was lovely and the ability to add effects was great. The Rhodes sounded better on the CP33 vs the P140 as I could add chorus or tremlo to get the suitcase rhodes sound.

Additionally i tested the FP7 since the price rage was similar, no one had the FP4. I assume the FP7 keybed is the same and the sounds the same as the specs noted the FP7 having 6 more sounds than the FP4.

I do not even want to mess with the P series or RD300GX anymore, its down to the

FP4 and CP33.

So here I pose the same original question that started the thread are the differences in the FP7 and FP4 major or nominal?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Someone mentioned the quality of the piano sample on the RD300GX being 'dull' compared to the FP4 - I think this might be mistaken.

From what I understand, I think you'll find that the keybed AND sample bank on the RD300GX and the FP4 are identical.

• Members

Why put the tonewheels in the instrument with the heaviest keybed?

And the keybeds on the FP's are far from identical. The FP7 is extremely pleasant and piano-like, while the FP4 has a pretty light action. I know I should follow my heart, but at the moment I'm having a hard time choosing between the two (touch / lightweight / touch / lightweight...), and I'll just have to come to terms with this decision.

• Members

I find the acoustic piano sample in my Roland RD300GX to be fine - though it doesn't cut thru quite as sharply as the ac. piano in my Yam. S90ES, so I use the S90 for most band situations and the 300GX for smaller gigs (trios, duos, occasional 4 piece but w/acoustic gtr.). :thu:

:cool:

• Members

One other option in the mid-1000$ range that doesn't get as much attention is the Kawai ES6. I have the previous model, the ES4, and I've enjoyed it for years. The sound is somewhere between the bright Yamaha and dull Roland and is very warm and clear. They also have a nice internal speaker system. I find the ES4 ideal for solo playing, jazz etc. and the newer ES6 is slightly better (not enough for me to upgrade to but definitely a worthy competitor to either Yamaha or Roland pianos).

The Kawai ES pianos are only found in piano stores rather than combo instrument stores but it's worth going out of the way to try one if you can.

• Members

And the keybeds on the FP's are far from identical. The FP7 is extremely pleasant and piano-like, while the FP4 has a pretty light action. I know I should follow my heart, but at the moment I'm having a hard time choosing between the two (touch / lightweight / touch / lightweight...), and I'll just have to come to terms with this decision.

I said between the keybeds on the RD300GX and the FP4 are supposedly identical - didnt mention FP7.

You're right of course, the FP4 & FP7 are different key action.

Funny though - re the FP7 being 'better action', I've gone into the store twice now and compared both, and I actually find the FP7 has this really strange 'hitting a wall' feeling at the end of each key press... Ie - you press the key, all feeling nice & heavy & normal then all of a sudden 'thud' - end of keystroke very hard & abruptly, liek hitting something solid. Very 'kerplunk' type of feel, and after doing some reading a lot of people tend to agree. I've never felt that type of key action in any other keyboard I've tried.. And certainly not in a real piano. I prefer the FP7's heavier 'weight' over the FP4, but that 'hitting the wall' at the end of each keypress is really weird, I'm not sure I'd want to get used to that. Plus could be painful after long periods of playing? I'm leaning towards teh FP4 for that reason. No-one else noticed that on the FP7?

Having also read that FP4 & RD300GX have the same key action + same piano samples, I'm finding it hard to choose between those two.

(To throw another spanner in the works the Kawai MP5 is interesting too :S - any opinions there? )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The FP7 is extremely pleasant and piano-like, while the FP4 has a pretty light action.

I went and did an A-B comparison on these keyboards yesterday (again), this time they were situated side by side in the store.

I notice a few people in this thread and others refer to the FP4 as a 'light action'. I'm curious about this terminology, because on the units I tested, without any question whatsoever, the FP4 has a 'heavier' press. That is, there is more resistence to press down a key on the FP4 than the FP7. They're 'stiffer' so to speak. They're very different feels, the FP4 is more 'spongey', while the FP7 is more sort of 'kerplunky' (ie soft/easy to press, and a hard hit when it bottoms out).. But the FP4 definitely has more resistence/heavier. Do I have terminology confused? Can't help but wonder if people are psychologically influenced by the bigger price tag and later model number of the FP7, because I can't understand how the FP4 could be considered to have a lighter touch. Personal taste I'm in no place to comment on.. but 'the FP4 having a lighter touch' confuses me. Perhaps the FP4 in the store I tried is worn & the keys have become stiffer or something?

Or ... do either of these keyboards have some sort of setting that adjustst he weight/resistence/stiffness of the keys? That would explain it!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Why put the tonewheels in the instrument with the heaviest keybed?

I've gone back to the store twice to change my mind several times between the Yamaha P85, Roland FP4, then I stumbled across the FP7 and it's all made my deciding more complicated.

The P85's Organ was limited to Church Organ only. Too bad, the price was good. The FP4 blew me away, more pianos and that jazz organ knocked me out...but pricer...still light. The FP7 was even better. I wonder how it would be during live gigs when I might need to transpose...it looked a bit more complicated and heavier to carry. That might be the deciding factor. Going back today to see if I can get a used one... Thanks all!

• Members

I've gone back to the store twice to change my mind several times between the Yamaha P85, Roland FP4, then I stumbled across the FP7 and it's all made my deciding more complicated.

The P85's Organ was limited to Church Organ only. Too bad, the price was good. The FP4 blew me away, more pianos and that jazz organ knocked me out...but pricer...still light. The FP7 was even better. I wonder how it would be during live gigs when I might need to transpose...it looked a bit more complicated and heavier to carry. That might be the deciding factor. Going back today to see if I can get a used one... Thanks all!

Yesterday I purchased the FP7, brought it home and tried to ignore the fact that it is way too heavy for me to carry around:facepalm:...much less to have to rely on others to help out at gigs. Heck, I couldn't even get it from one room to another. So, today, I'm taking it back to the store to trade it for the FP4. I fell in love with the FP7 but my back, neck and other vitals should not be affected by my trying to carry heavy equipment around. I'll have to take the lighter action...darn it! :thu:But I've been playing synth only in the last 22 years. Any action on the keys is good action...

Archived