Question about Carl Martin Octa-Switch

Husafreak

• Members

Just got my Octa-switch. I find it odd that I can't turn off all eight cominations, one allways has to be on. That means you can only have 7 seperate effects combinations with the eigth reserved for a clean signal. Is this correct? Also mine makes a lot of pops and noises, has anyone found a solution for this? The manufacturer doesn't know and no instructions come with the pedal. Just two dead batteries... Thanks

• Members

What happens if you step on the preset that's running (i.e. if you have preset 1 on, does stepping on 1 turn it off)?

Switch popping is often due to some pedal leaking DC voltage, which makes it seem like it's the loop box/Octaswitch that's popping. In reality, the core of the problem (the DC leak) could be in one of your pedals. You need to try every possible combination to locate the bogey - with loop 1 on, try all other loops one at a time. Then activate loop 2, and try the other ones one at a time. See if you can locate one pedal that seems to be present when it pops, and turned off when it doesn't.

• Members

Waited forever for this to come out, and I'm glad it took so long because in the meantime I decided on the MusicomLab EFX2.

8 loops, 100 presets, MIDI in and out, separate loop to put a volume pedal between dirt and modulation, or split to two amps, super easy to program, and only slightly wider than a DL4. Oh, and the internal buffers are exceptional. My tone improved just by adding it to the signal path.

Win, win win.

• Members

Just got my Octa-switch. I find it odd that I can't turn off all eight cominations, one allways has to be on. That means you can only have 7 seperate effects combinations with the eigth reserved for a clean signal. Is this correct? Also mine makes a lot of pops and noises, has anyone found a solution for this? The manufacturer doesn't know and no instructions come with the pedal. Just two dead batteries... Thanks

I think you're correct. I did some research on this pedal and came to the same conclusion, there's no bypass, so one of your settings has to be no pedals on.

• Members

Well I got my Octaswitch going and did hear from CM. One of the switches has to be set to nothing selected or your base sound, whatever that is. I played with it this morning again adding one pedal at a time got four going with no noises at all.

• Members

Well I got my Octaswitch going and did hear from CM. One of the switches has to be set to nothing selected or your base sound, whatever that is. I played with it this morning again adding one pedal at a time got four going with no noises at all.

This is kinda false advertising on their part... I mean, I don't know of another programmable looper that doesn't have an OFF...

• Members

As far as the OctaSwitch not having a dedicated off... there's only so much real estate on the face of the pedal, I imagine when they put a dedicated on/off in, someone said; "Heck, let them use that foot switch for switching too! They can leave it empty is they want a on/off."

It's proabably a bonus, not a let down.

• Members

I guess I never noticed that because I always use my BlackFinger for clean tones. If I want to kick in for some natural amp crunch, I just stomp off the BlackFinger.

All in all, I don't get to use my Octaswitch as much as I'd like to. I keep it around because I know I will be using eventually.

• Members

As far as the OctaSwitch not having a dedicated off... there's only so much real estate on the face of the pedal, I imagine when they put a dedicated on/off in, someone said; "Heck, let them use that foot switch for switching too! They can leave it empty is they want a on/off."

It's proabably a
bonus
, not a let down.

I don't think you're quite getting what I meant; I was unclear. I didn't mean to suggest that the Octaswitch needs to have a completely separate "Global Off" button. Typically, these things work by simply hitting the active switch to turn off the current program...

...like every other pedal ever made.

• Members

Looks cool (since we seem to be both discussing the problem and the unit itself in general). In the UK though [this comment based upon a premise that may be false that GigRig gear being British made/owned/marketed is more expensive in the US], it doesn't cost so much more to get a GigRig switcher, which has more tricks.

The Musicom Lab switcher looks amazingly cool, but the more that I pursue the 'tone that I have, rather than the tone that I wish that I had and might buy given suitable influx of cash', the more I realise that I am an analog guy (who likes knobs), and the GigRig stuff would make more sense in my position. Much less hassle than a rack system (both in terms of transport and programming); why bother running MIDI gear when you don't need it?

:thu:

• Members

Yeah, definitely true... I think the only real reservation that I'd have with a GigRig system is the size that the board could end up being, even after using one of the tiered boards that they tend to use. Fine if you have 10 Boss stomps, but once you're getting into DMMs, DEMs, Tube Drivers and Pete Cornish pedals... :cop:

:thu:

• Members

The Musicom Lab switcher looks amazingly cool, but the more that I pursue the 'tone that I have, rather than the tone that I wish that I had and might buy given suitable influx of cash', the more I realise that I am an analog guy (who likes knobs), and the GigRig stuff would make more sense in my position. Much less hassle than a rack system (both in terms of transport and programming); why bother running MIDI gear when you don't need it?

This is the EXACT reason I ignored the MusicomLab unit for so long, and was waiting for like, a year, for the Octaswitch to be released.

Thing is, the MusicomLab unit is just as easy to program, and even easier live, since you do it all with foot switches. Imagine for a sec, the MIDI doesn't exist, because you don't have to use it.

Here's how you program a patch:

1) Enter "Edit" mode by hitting the Mode button. The first four loops are now accessible via the bottom switches 1-4.

2) Turn on/off any loops you require.

3) Need to access loops 5-8? Hit Mode again. Need to go back to loops 1-4? Hit mode again... it cycles through 1-4 and 5-8.

4) To save, hit Save. To quit without saving, hit Quit.

It's SO simple.

AND, this means that when playing live, you can use the Direct Access mode, if you so choose. Have a patch you like, but what to turn off one pedal? Just hit Mode to enter the Direct Access mode, and turn on/off whatever you need. Very few programmable loopers offer Direct Access mode without making the jump to a massive Ground Control type unit.

It's brilliant.

Keep a look out for a cheap one used (doesn't happen often, but that's how I got mine). If it doesn't work, flip it. Again, I was a skeptic, but I'm thrilled I took the risk. I'll never use any other loop switcher.

• Members

Waited forever for this to come out, and I'm glad it took so long because in the meantime I decided on the MusicomLab EFX2.

8 loops, 100 presets, MIDI in and out, separate loop to put a volume pedal between dirt and modulation, or split to two amps, super easy to program, and only slightly wider than a DL4. Oh, and the internal buffers are exceptional. My tone improved just by adding it to the signal path.

Win, win win.

cha-ching! glad you got it used, man for that $$ that's a new amp...

Archived