ot: Ryan Adams is this generations Neil Young

seifukusha

• Members

I'm with Seif on this one. Between the Whiskeytown catalog and his solo stuff, the dude is scary prolific. With such a huge discography I've been looking for the dud album for a very, very long time. Haven't found it yet. If anything it's Gold which of course Rolling Stone jocked like it was the second coming of Christ.

Anyway, when did he become the singer everyone loves to hate? :idk: Ok, so he's a bit of a prima donna, but what about the music? Saying that you didn't like X album doesn't count... his albums vary so wildly, they might as well be by different artists.

Idk. People love to point and laugh at his antics, but I honestly have yet to see someone really posit a solid critique about him as a songwriter or lyricist.

• Members

But Neil Young matters... He was around at a time when what he was doing mattered to people (I'm talking about the late '60s early '70s output and even beyond but nothing in or after the 80s except Harvest Moon) and just think about the competition at that time!!!!! Try to put it into perspective, because it makes a huge difference when you compare Neil Young to Ryan Adams (or in your case declare Ryan Adams, who has done nothing, as equal to Neil Young, good god!)

These days there's plenty of people who sound like someone from those days, but is their music in any way important like it was back then? Is it really genuine like that? Is it a new sound among a world of new sounds?

Big difference there. Big {censored}ing difference.

• Members

wow, seriously keyboard warriors, calm down

i said similar not equal.

who says the music people make today doesnt matter? to me it was the 80s and early 90s, but for others, its right now.

wow, chill

i don't know anything about ryan adams; how are he and neil young similar?

• Members

Since Adams isn't likely to be as eclectic as Neil Young I would say the answer is no. After all Young has put out folk, country, blues, hard rock, technopop, and concept albums over his career.

dude... wtf are you talking about? Ryan Adams put out 11 albums in 11 different genres in one year....

he is an eclectic song factory...

• Members

when ryan adams develops a truly unique and immediately recognizable electric guitar toan--maybe...maybe..i'd begrudgingly agree with you.

i mean--imho--neil's songwriting pwns anything i've ever heard from ryan adams, but i realize that's kind of subjective. but apart from writing a huge volume of great songs (mainly folk/rock songs)--neil also came up with one of the best guitar sounds of all time (microphonic p90, modded tweed deluxe, reverb unit, etc). his electric guitar toan is {censored}ing iconic (not to mention his voice, songwriting, etc). ryan adams isn't really iconic of anything as far as i can tell. i concur with tweedy being a much better comparison.

Archived