Effects Retrospective: Zoom 505 multi-fx pedal

dkerwood

• Members

I'm just thinking back over a lot of gear that I've owned over the last couple of decades, and my memory lingers over the first multi-fx pedal I ever owned- the Zoom 505.

This was, of course, back in the mid-90's. I was about a year or so into my guitar playing journey. My guitar at the time was a Squier II Strat, and my amp was a solid state 1x12 Fender combo (with a sweet nylon cover, baby). I owned a few single effects, but wasn't really sure how to achieve the sound that I had in my head. Thus, I decided to pick up a box with everything in it and, after mowing a few lawns, I sprung for the Zoom.

Now, I won't be trying to tell you that the tone was incredible or anything. It wasn't. It was sufficient for what I was trying to do at the time. It did, however, have a couple of really cool features that I miss.

First was a sound thing. The Zoom had a cool effect that I believe was called "Step" or something like that. It was essentially a multi-stage square wave filter, jumping through different frequencies and creating a cool computer glitch/auto-arpeggiator sound. I liked that sound a lot. Very cool, very unique. I still have a cassette tape recording of me doing a song with a band using that effect pretty extensively. I've never been able to find it since.

Second was a feature thing. The Zoom had 4 patches in each of 6 banks. At default, you could use the two footswitches to cycle through these patches. However, I soon ran into the problem where I didn't necessarily always have two patches I liked right next to each other. Maybe I'd have a great clean tone next to a great dirty tone next to a great lead tone. But what would I do when I needed to go directly from my lead tone to my clean tone? Or worse, if I had my unique Step-effect tone stored in C3 and then needed the heavy distortion I had stored in A1, what could I do? Scrolling through all those effects wasn't desirable, or even possible if I had to go through a lot of patches in a short time.

For a while, I tried doing as the 6 banks of 4 implied- I set up 6 "sets" of 4 tones: Clean, lo gain, hi gain, specialty. Soon, though, I found myself duplicating patches and generally wasting space. So I dug into the manual and discovered "Direct Load OFF" mode.

Normally, if you scroll up, you load the next patch. In "Direct Load OFF" mode, you can scroll wherever you want and stay on the original patch. Thus, I could load A1 and scroll out to C4 without hitting everything in between. When I got to C4 and was ready to change, I simply stepped on both pedals simultaneously and C4 loaded instantly.

Fast forward to today. I now use a RP-200A at church or when I don't want to haul an amp and/or pedalboard around to a small gig. And I find myself doing what I had to do with the bloody Zoom- put lo gain sounds next to hi gain sounds and set it all up for convenient patch changes... I rather miss the "Direct Load OFF" mode these days.

Anyway, after using the pedal for over a year, my car was stolen outside of a rock club- guitar, amp, and pedal (as well as some other gear) in the trunk. Haven't seen it since, but the memories remain.

Thoughts on this pedal?

• Members

yeah, i had one. it wasnt bad for what it was. the step filter can now be found on zvex seek wah etc, or in the m9.

i remember i used to like the tone i got by overloading the compressor and playing into my silverface champ, it was a real down home raw blues sound.

• Members

i had the 506, bass version, and i loved it.

my first pedal, taught me all about fx.

my guitarist had the zoom 2020 and used that step filter effect, he loved it too :D

i think the original robotalk pedal can do the same thing, but they removed that function from the robotalk 2.

• Members

I had a 707 too!

And as Mike was saying, i made with it way more gigs then i should have!

(i really liked the loop function in it, and the tuner too! a lot of functions considering it was pretty cheap)

(and yeah, that "step" thing was very very cool!)

• Members

i read Billy corgan used a 505 on parts of Machina, and thats pretty cool. NIN and Prince laso have used zoom stuff

zoom have always been awesome, people love to hate them because theyre plastic , but everything is still made in japan, and they keep coming up with new stuff.

i miss my old zoom driver 5000, hell of a dirtbox for highgain stuff. noone talks about them anymore here.

• Members

I remember my Digitech RP200. I had a lot of fun with the expression pedal, I could assign anything to it and do a lot of odd things like rock the pass of a Phaser like a wah pedal, or rhythmically change the speed. It also had a Whammy setting which I loved. I remember getting really good at playing with the layout of it, and enjoying that. The big pain in the ass though was the bypass, you had to push both buttons at once.

People kept saying pedals were better, so I believed them. I got bunch of Dano and DOD pedals for about the price of the RP-200. Wish I still had the French Toast and the old blue DOD Chorus.

• Members

i had a 505 when i first started too...then i upgraded to a 1010

then korgs Ax1000G...the boss GT6 to GT3 to GT8 (with single pedals setup inbetween owning multifx to)

i recently replaced my behringer Vamp2/Line 6 POD for a Zoom G1u...solely for DI recording and love it.

i really wanted the G2R thou but sadly you can edit patches via usb on that one

• Members

I bought a used 506 as my first pedal (used it on guitar cos I was a noob) and I loved the crap outta it. I think it must have broke though cos I ended up with and RP50 which I never liked nearly as much as the zoom. Then I had a ME-30 which I also really liked (the distortions are pretty useless but some nice mod/delay stuff and a really liked the wah. When that started getting sketchy on me I bought a zoom gfx-4, like the boss dirt sounds were horrible but the other stuff was all totally usable, except the wah, that was horrible.

Now I just have a few cheap stompboxes and while I think I have a better overall tone now I still think about just picking up a cheap multi for playing around with.

• Members

i read Billy corgan used a 505 on parts of Machina, and thats pretty cool. NIN and Prince laso have used zoom stuff

zoom have always been awesome, people love to hate them because theyre plastic , but everything is still made in japan, and they keep coming up with new stuff.

i miss my old zoom driver 5000, hell of a dirtbox for highgain stuff. noone talks about them anymore here.

To this day, one of the best studio reverbs i've heard was off one of the older zoom pro rack units.

• Members

haha i'm dating myself here

but I remember these back in the day, it was zoom's first right? (or something very similiar).. looked like a sony discman.. I remember peeps being all excited about the fact they could wear attach these to the guitar strap...

yep, that was it. my pal had one like in 1990 or so when i went to uni. i was like what is that?!? cool times..i see them in shops in japan sometimes

• Members

my brother bought one of these when i was in 8th grade and just learning how to play. used to plug a squier strat into some mixer plugged into a PA speaker. :facepalm:

recently found one at a pawn shop and got it for his birthday. after messing around with it for a few minutes, was able to get some fun sounds. nothing too usable, but fun. good memories with this pedal.

Archived