OT: Chicago Middle School Food Fight

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Arresting these kids is just ridiculous... the only thing, that I think, was wrong with this is that they wasted food.

Ever see a food fight at a homeless shelter?

Food is for eating!!

exactly... their punishment should be to help at a food pantry to know the value of what their spolied lifestyles really is...

• Members

That's retarded. Go throw water balloons, not food.

why is that retarded? you know why i was never a hyper prick as a kid? i told my parents i wanted candy once and they let me eat so much i got sick. never ate tons of candy again. if the kids do it it's obvious that they want to do it, so why not regulate it, keep it clean, and let them have fun?

• Members

why is that retarded? you know why i was never a hyper prick as a kid? i told my parents i wanted candy once and they let me eat so much i got sick. never ate tons of candy again. if the kids do it it's obvious that they want to do it, so why not regulate it, keep it clean, and let them have fun?

Because I'd rather take that food they're about to waste and take it to a homeless shelter.

If you want to go throw rotten food at each other then go ahead but to have someone cook up perfectly good food, and have kids throw it at each other then just have it mopped up and disposed of is wasteful.

• Members

Childish behavior by children is just behavior.

I agree with that to a certain extent. Doesn't mean it should go unpunished and we shouldn't justify it with "let children be children" in all cases. I think of it as an opportune time to teach them a lesson that you'd rather they learn now than later. Taking them to the police station for a food fight is outlandish by all accounts. The adults in this situation should have collectively come up with a better punishment.

• Members

Promoting discipline over education has been destroying the American public education system.

Interesting POV. As a public school teacher, I'd say that this wasn't really true at all. There isn't much discipline to speak of in the American public education system as far as I can see.

Poorly executed TESTING and DATA-DRIVEN reactionary responses have destroyed the public education system, IMO. Also, the generally blas

• Members

Interesting POV. As a public school teacher, I'd say that this wasn't really true at all. There isn't much discipline to speak of in the American public education system as far as I can see.

Poorly executed TESTING and DATA-DRIVEN reactionary responses have destroyed the public education system, IMO. Also, the generally blas

• Members

I'm not sure how to take this at the moment.....

Firsty I don't really think of 11-15 year old as 'children' .... 16 year old's join the army and get married, it's not like we are talking about 6 and 7 year olds. We are basically talking about teenagers here, the same ones that hang around on street corners and drink in the local park. ... so maybe a trip to the cells won't be a bad thing for them. ... maybe they won't want to go back again...

I can remember my first trip to the cells, I was about 14 or 15 and it didn't do me any harm, if fact it did the opposite. It was pretty scarey and wasn't something I wanted to do again. I really felt like I had let my parents down...... and that's how these kids should be feeling now.. and rightly so.

But on the other hand, I can't say I'd be very impressed if I got a phone call from my son's school telling me he had been arrested for throwing some food.... but I wasn't there and I don't really know what happened, they must have been asked to stop and I don't know about everyone else, but just the presence of some police would have been enough to make me stop what I was doing pretty quickly... infact when I was at school just the thought that I would be in deep trouble in school and with my parents would have been enough to make me stop.... but it sounds like this got totally out of hand and escolated well beyond just a few people chucking things around.

actions have consequences and I'm suprised this didn't cross their minds way before the point that they were arrested.

To be honest I can't even imagine this happening at my kids school... if a couple of people started chucking stuff in the dinner hall they would be marched out and sent to the headmaster and everyone else would be told what would happen if they did the same, I just can't imagine it getting to the point that this did.

• Members
I'd be very interested to hear what forumites from other countries think, and does this kind of stuff happen in schools in other countries. I'll bet it doesn't in Japan.

Most schools in australia don't have cafeterias so food fights are kinda rare.
The food fight's not a good idea (like other people said, what a waste - that food could go to a shelter etc) but arresting the kids seems quite unnecessary.
:idk:

• Members

I'm not sure how to take this at the moment.....

Firsty I don't really think of 11-15 year old as 'children' .... 16 year old's join the army and get married, it's not like we are talking about 6 and 7 year olds. We are basically talking about teenagers here, the same ones that hang around on street corners and drink in the local park. ... so maybe a trip to the cells won't be a bad thing for them. ... maybe they won't want to go back again...

I can remember my first trip to the cells, I was about 14 or 15 and it didn't do me any harm, if fact it did the opposite. It was pretty scarey and wasn't something I wanted to do again. I really felt like I had let my parents down...... and that's how these kids should be feeling now.. and rightly so.

But on the other hand, I can't say I'd be very impressed if I got a phone call from my son's school telling me he had been arrested for throwing some food.... but I wasn't there and I don't really know what happened, they must have been asked to stop and I don't know about everyone else, but just the presence of some police would have been enough to make me stop what I was doing pretty quickly... infact when I was at school just the thought that I would be in deep trouble in school and with my parents would have been enough to make me stop.... but it sounds like this got totally out of hand and escolated well beyond just a few people chucking things around.

actions have consequences and I'm suprised this didn't cross their minds way before the point that they were arrested.

To be honest I can't even imagine this happening at my kids school... if a couple of people started chucking stuff in the dinner hall they would be marched out and sent to the headmaster and everyone else would be told what would happen if they did the same, I just can't imagine it getting to the point that this did.

You have to remember that you are talking about The US, not a European country. I consider 50% of the middle-aged people I know "children". I think our culture caters to immaturity. That being said, any time in jail for this is too much. And besides, I would think that the police would have something better to do, like catch criminals.

• Members
You have to remember that you are talking about The US, not a European country. I consider 50% of the middle-aged people I know "children". I think our culture caters to immaturity. That being said, any time in jail for this is too much. And besides, I would think that the police would have something better to do, like catch criminals.

well yeah.... but I suppose if the police are called to an incident they can't say 'oh, sorry I have better things to do' can they? I'm sure they did have much better things to be doing than rounding up a load of school kids ...... maybe they should charge them for wasting police time instead. :lol:

I don't know how things work over there, but here they wouldn't have been in 'jail' they would have been taken to the police station, put in a holding cell until the parents arrived, then they would have been cautioned and let go. It wouldn't have been that serious. .... but I'm still struggling with the fact that the school actually felt it nessasary to call in the cops for something that, lets face it, wasn't a serious matter ...... unless the situation was a near riot point or something. :idk: it seems odd that the school wasn't able to deal with it to me.... but then again it's not something that Teachers should have to deal with.

• Members

food fights are kind of american, how many movies have they appeared in. even in uni we had a few, but i didnt join in. i do think its wasteful, but hard talk and making them clean up is enough, the teachers dont see they have enough power to make them clean and instead calling the police means the kids wont have a good amount of respect for the school and instead be fearful that the police will be called in instead.

weve swaped respect for those in charge for fear of reprocutions (sp) and thats a bad thing.

hell, here in korea, teachers still carry big sticks and if youre out of line youll get hit, {censored} US parents who sue over. sometimes i think its not such a bad thing.

• Members
well yeah.... but I suppose if the police are called to an incident they can't say 'oh, sorry I have better things to do' can they? I'm sure they did have much better things to be doing than rounding up a load of school kids ...... maybe they should charge them for wasting police time instead.
:lol:

I don't know how things work over there, but here they wouldn't have been in 'jail' they would have been taken to the police station, put in a holding cell until the parents arrived, then they would have been cautioned and let go. It wouldn't have been
that
serious. .... but I'm still struggling with the fact that the school actually felt it nessasary to call in the cops for something that, lets face it, wasn't a serious matter ...... unless the situation was a near riot point or something.
:idk:
it seems odd that the school wasn't able to deal with it to me.... but then again it's not something that Teachers
should
have to deal with.

A lot of the time, it's not that the school can't deal with it, they just won't. From my experience, most school staff just don't give a {censored}. And before you teachers get all huffy, I know there are exceptions. I'm just saying, I had a couple really good teachers while I was in public school, but a lot of them were really bad. And I have to say, all of the administrators were definitely lacking something; I don't remember having very much respect for any of them (and I actually aided in getting one if them fired while I was in high school).

• Members

food fights are kind of american, how many movies have they appeared in. even in uni we had a few, but i didnt join in. i do think its wasteful, but hard talk and making them clean up is enough, the teachers dont see they have enough power to make them clean and instead calling the police means the kids wont have a good amount of respect for the school and instead be fearful that the police will be called in instead.

weve swaped respect for those in charge for fear of reprocutions (sp) and thats a bad thing.

hell, here in korea, teachers still carry big sticks and if youre out of line youll get hit, {censored} US parents who sue over. sometimes i think its not such a bad thing.

Yes, Seif. As a teacher, I took a few incidents into my own hands a few times when I thought it was the right thing to do, and came out of it unscathed. I was generally liked by the communities I served, fortunately.

But yes, most educators do feel powerless against all the trigger-happy freakazoid parents who will sue you over the most miniscule emotional disturbance you caused their child.

As you said about Korea, not only would the parents not sue a school for whipping their kid, they would probably stand by and assist angrily in the whipping because their child dishonored them. That little distinction says a lot about the cultural differences where education is concerned.

IIRC, if we were caught throwing food in high school (Animal House had just come out around that time), we'd get clean up duties and detention.

Not that I'm condoning such activities (someone could get hurt if you're not careful), but the trick kids, is not getting caught. Not saying that I was ever an active participant (favorite FF weapons of choice - Hostess Chocolate pies and milk cartons - both "frag" / scatter beautifully upon impact, and stink worse as the day progresses ;) ), but I CAN say I was never caught. :)

• Members

I agree with making them clean it up if possible. Or Detention.

What I can't understand is when I hear older people talk of kids now being pussies because instead of going out and causing some "good old-fashioned ruckus," they're on the Internet, playing video games, etc. But when they actually have some light-hearted fun, they same old people instantly overreact.

This....

Beat your kids when they screw up...but let em have a little fun. Arrested? What the eff?

Archived