How to fix: pedals make a loud "popping" sound when turning on/off

Poparad

Switch to all boss pedals.

Get a DS-1 and a CE-2

No more true bypass = no more popping.

I mostly do have Boss pedals, and I do have a DS-1 already. I never use chorus, but the pedal does it too, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

I do like the sound of the Rat though. On my pedal board I've got a Tonebone, but it's a pain in the ass to take things off the board, so when I only need a minimal set up, I've got a Rat for it.

• Members

Yeah, my Clone Theory and my MXR Flanger and Zakk Wylde OD all do that, it's damn annoying since they are all in front of my delay, and when I have a nice delay going, and all of a sudden, POP! POP POP POP POP POP POP :mad::evil:

• Members

put a 100K to 4.7M (exact value does not matter) resistor from the "outboard" end of both the input and output capacitors to ground. This keeps the ends of the capacitors pulled to the right voltage all the time, and cures the leakage problem. No capacitor clicks.

this is what you need. do you know how to solder?

• Members

before you do anything, always check your guitar cable / cord. Most of the time this is the problem and it's very easily fixed by swapping them out for new ones. Found that out the hard way awhile back after fixing things that didn't need to be fixed...

before you do anything, always check your guitar cable / cord. Most of the time this is the problem and it's very easily fixed by swapping them out for new ones. Found that out the hard way awhile back after fixing things that didn't need to be fixed...

True, although I'm certain it's not that in this case. I've used the same pedal with a few different cables and it does the same thing regardless of the setup.

• Members

as well as possibly being a footswitch problem, it can also be attributable to bad caps. I had one DIY pedal start popping recently immidiatelly after I had accidentally powered it with reverse polarity for about a second, messing up most of the caps.

• Members

I have this problem with my Diamond Vibrato, since day 1. Not in the effects loop, and early in my signal chain. Not static buildup either, does not go away with repeated off and ons. Not my cables either. I think it must be the switch they use. I'm also not going to solder, I'll send it back to Diamond if I do anything. I might try a buffered boost in front of it and see if that does anything. Some pedals do this though, and it is annoying, especially for the price paid, although I love the pedal.

Archived