May Machines: New gear thread

• Members

Wooooohooooo my AN1X boat came in today, special thanks goes to the postie who left it on my doorstep for anyone to pick up :cop:

I shall now descend into a world dominated by blue yamaha beasties

Oh yes :wave:

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yay, a fellow classic Rack owner! Have you tweaked anything yet? Mine's still entirely stock, patch-wise.

I have the 61-key Remote SL, which I thought felt fine playing the Motif's clav and EP patches with. The Remote's very light, too, AND you can stick some C-cells in it and avoid the wall wart for gigging.

• Members

I am tired of hauling my Motif 6 to band practice every week (up and down steps), and to bar gigs every weekend. So I just picked up this Motif Rack to replace it, and plan to buy a lightweight 61-key controller.

Great little module with awesome piano sounds. I'm sure someone will start in about its midi timing issues soon enough. Congrats!

• Members

Yay, a fellow classic Rack owner! Have you tweaked anything yet? Mine's still entirely stock, patch-wise.

I have the 61-key Remote SL, which I thought felt fine playing the Motif's clav and EP patches with. The Remote's very light, too, AND you can stick some C-cells in it and avoid the wall wart for gigging.

I've tweaked some of the Motif patches, mainly just adjusting effects levels. I use it for organ, piano, flute, clav, brass, sax, harmonica... the usual classic rock and blues sounds.

Does the Remote SL allow direct access to patches so that they can be changed quickly during songs? I was looking at the M-Audio Axiom 61 because it has a numerical key pad that apparently allows you to changes patches without having to scroll through them.

Guest Anonymous

Great little module with awesome piano sounds. I'm sure someone will start in about its midi timing issues soon enough. Congrats!

Is this still a problem? I have one and can sequence all 16 channels via my MPC with no timing issues. I do luv Motif sounds and plan on getting a XS Rack.

:thu:

• Members

Is this still a problem? I have one and can sequence all 16 channels via my MPC with no timing issues. I do luv Motif sounds and plan on getting a XS Rack.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've had no sequencing problems with it either, but someone always hops in to diss on the Mo'Rack.

• Members

I've tweaked some of the Motif patches, mainly just adjusting effects levels. I use it for organ, piano, flute, clav, brass, sax, harmonica... the usual classic rock and blues sounds.

Does the Remote SL allow direct access to patches so that they can be changed quickly during songs? I was looking at the M-Audio Axiom 61 because it has a numerical key pad that apparently allows you to changes patches without having to scroll through them.

I find I always adjut the reverb down on the Grand patch... why do they always bury presets in reverb?

Sadly, the Remote's built-in method of doing a program change is scrolling with a rotary encoder. That said, though, it might be possible to design a template (their term for a patch on the controller itself) where you could map specific program change macros to its buttons. I'll have to look into that and let you know.

• Members

Got a bunch of software for my work, including this:

motusymphonicinstrumentts0.jpg

I still want Ethno Instrument as well, but the above is more practical right now.

Most of the sounds are fantastic. A few quibbles: I wish the dinky piano had been left out and it's megabytes used for better solo strings and performance articulations. But really, for $240 you can't beat it with a stick.
:)

Pretty easy to get dark, dramatic sounding ensembles out of this? Can it do the opposite as well?

• Members

Pretty easy to get dark, dramatic sounding ensembles out of this? Can it do the opposite as well?

It's all a matter of composition & orchestration. It can do:

dark, dramatic

light, dramatic

dark, not dramatic

light, not dramatic

. . . and a million other shades of the human condition. It's an orchestra. :)

• Members

Speaking of MOTU Symphonic Instrument and wishing it had better solo strings, I also obtained Vienna Instruments Solo Strings:

viennainstrumentgui2lr9.jpg

53 gigs of goodness loaded onto an external Glyph drive. I have no complaints! :)

I wish I could afford the Vienna Cube, but that would mean a bunch more computers and a bunch more external drives . . . too much $$ and trouble at the moment. One day . . .

• Members

Does the Remote SL allow direct access to patches so that they can be changed quickly during songs?

Turns out you can assign a program change to any of the 8 drum pads. Set a fixed program value for each pad and Voila! hit the pad to immediately change to the program you want. I just tested this myself, works like a charm. Looks like you can do the same with the two rows of buttons on the right (16 more).

• Members

I am contemplating this:

ensemble_main.jpg

vs this:

2882DSP.jpg

...to replace my MOTU 828 MK 2. I was very intrigued by the TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48, but they seem to be having huge problems getting their drivers up to speed. RME is also in the running, I would like to step up from MOTU.

• Members

Just got this. I like it quite a bit.

*picture of command station*

let me know how quickly you can crash it. my record is a minute and a half, and that was my first experience with them.

i just picked up a Yamaha RX5. it's {censored}ing hilarious. the biggest drum machine i've ever played.

its footprint is larger than a 909:

RX5.jpg

Archived